Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 45 Next >>
Topic: John Byrne - Threat or Menace? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member
Quit Forum

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 3:41pm | IP Logged | 1  

Dave Farabee wrote:
Why is that behavior allowed to stand, but I'm called out for defending, without insult, a controversial work?

Ian Evans wrote:
Well, because this isn't a democracy in here, I guess....JB supports (or doesn't stop, anyway) that behaviour and disagrees with yours.  He isn't a neutral observer of an argument, he has his side and you have yours.  I think both Mike and Joe (both of whom I like) have stepped over the line pretty egregiously in this thread, but it's not my board.  And JB can put up with whatever he chooses.  Don't like it, don't show up.

I think you're right, Ian. And, truthfully, I'm still not bothered by that Byrne himself should dismiss me - he's the big kahuna here - but if he and his mods are going to lend tacit approval to behavior like Zhang and O'Brien exhibited, the board's effectively become the pit some have accused it of being.

Lies? Acceptable. Libel? Acceptable. Double-standards? Acceptable.

Matt, so sorry I almost disturbed your sleep when one of your board members went nuts, made borderline threatening posts, then took them down to hide behind a wall of cowardice. I just thought you might be interested in doing your fucking job as a moderator. No other halfway decent moderated forum would've let Mike's behavior stand.

Joe Zhang lying in front of everyone? The proof there for all to see? Hey, it's cool! He's part of the Old Boys Club. He gets to pontificate on morality while lying and insnuating I'm a pedophile, but hey, it's a good thing you were there to watch me like a hawk when I dared to ask Mike if he'd read a book. You really are a GOOD GUY, Matt! Tell yourself that. Try to convince yourself I've behaved attrociously when I've done nothing but take an unpopular opinion and defend myself from spurious attacks. Try to convince yourself that your pals are good guys too, even if their behavior is anything but.

You'd think guys who grew up with superheroes would act a bit more responsibly. I showed interest in a work of fiction; they engaged in tacitly approved lies, libel, and cowardice. Even Mike's second "apology" was just another passive/aggressive blow-up - the latest in his long string of them, and just another chance for him to feel sorry for himself. 

It's the behavior of a cretin. As was Zhang's. As was yours, Matt.

But Ian's right, this is Byrne's world, and if that's to be the accepted behavior, I leave the board to this back-patting confederacy. I had some fun for a few years. Nearly made a thousand posts, and still respect many of the posters. Have no plans to join any "campaign" against this board.

But I don't give it any more respect.

(I know, I know, "don't let the door hit yer ass on the way out"... Gimme something original.)

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 3:48pm | IP Logged | 2  

Original enough?

Travis Twitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 4:45pm | IP Logged | 3  

Username wrote:
George Peter Gatsis said, I remember Eminem was accused of being a homophobe or some such anti-gay crap...the NOT mature people yelled loud and clear, they were EVERYWHERE...next thing you see Eminem and Elton John singing together and hugging...that shut the NOT mature people hard and fast.

Gee, so Eminem gets up and sings with an avowed homosexual and hugs him and suddenly all is forgiven.

How nice.

Funny how you leave out a couple of things:

1) Eminem was the immature one here, as he is the one who was thrwoing around words like faggot and queer in his song lyrics. The people who were quite rightly infuriated with him, such as the entire membership of GLADD were quite right and very mature in calliong him out and demanding an apology and refutation of his  words.

To this day Eminem has done none of those things and in fact has continued to make homphobic and antigay remarks at nearly every opportunity.

And yet you claim that it was the other people, not Eminem who were immature.

Yeah, right.
Back to Top profile | search

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 5:07pm | IP Logged | 4  

I desperately wish somebody would ask about the naughty picture floating around in the latest hate thread on a certain board. But I'm way too big a pussy and I know it's none of my $#%@ing business anyway. And I am willing to edit this if asked and have no problem with someone else editing it either.

Edited by Emery Calame on 03 July 2006 at 5:24pm

Rob Spalding
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 5:12pm | IP Logged | 5  

I think that the internet has blown any criticsms of Mr Byrne way out of proportion.

I stand by my "seperate the art from the artist sentiment", and I wish people could do that.

My first american comic was a Spider-Man drawn by JB (a fact I only discovered after my frst visits here), twenty years later I can still see nearly every panel in my minds eye.  Coming here and finding that the artist holds views that I don't agree with and has said things I'd prefer he hadn't does not diminish the story in my mind.

For that I'd like to thank him.

Juan Jose Colin Arciniega
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 5:17pm | IP Logged | 6  

How anyone could have missed Perez on the Titans would be beyond me. Wasn't that one of the best selling comics of that era?

------------------------------------------------------------ ----

i did!

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 5:19pm | IP Logged | 7  

Gee, so Eminem gets up and sings with an avowed homosexual and hugs him and suddenly all is forgiven.How nice. (etc)

Seriously -- you became a Forum member just for that? You think Eminem reads these posts?

David Brunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 5:21pm | IP Logged | 8  

Hey Eminem loved Lab Rats.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 5:23pm | IP Logged | 9  

And by some strange coincidence I used to have a rat that didn't love M&M's.

Juan Jose Colin Arciniega
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 5:25pm | IP Logged | 10  

That, and that i don't like the sound of his voice on rap, are the reasons by you won't see me buying any of Eminem's albums!.

Edited by Juan Jose Colin Arciniega on 03 July 2006 at 5:26pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 5:27pm | IP Logged | 11  

>They hate you because they're supposed to? What about those who decided to come on over to find the truth and were disappointe with what they found and whilst they don't hate you find they don't like what they find? Is that herd mentality?

This question comes from personal experience?

David Brunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 5:28pm | IP Logged | 12  

Yeah, pretty much.

<< Prev Page of 45 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version