Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 45 Next >>
Topic: John Byrne - Threat or Menace? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2006 at 5:31pm | IP Logged | 1  

Threat, menace, I don't give a fig. For all I care, JB can weld kittens to old ladies'  heads as long as it doesn't negatively affect the quality or frequency of his art or writing. I respect JB for his standing in the comics industry as a reliable and talented creator, not for whether I think he'd be my bestus' pal if we were neighbors, or if we could pal around after a comics convention (although I'm certain that some people here have done that).

This is his board, and I count myself lucky to be able to glean what wisdom I can from a veteran in the industry. If I happen to disagree with his opinion, I try to use the better part of valor, and keep it to myself. As should many other internet "fans" of comics.
Back to Top profile | search

Robert Last
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2006 at 5:46pm | IP Logged | 2  

I heard he catapaulted bleeding kittens into hungry dog pits.

The welding them to old ladies heads is so obviously untrue.  I find nothing to show in any public record that he has any qualifications in ANY school of welding.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2006 at 5:48pm | IP Logged | 3  

Who cares if there's bad press? It's coming from the internet, it's shite anyway. If someone wants to prove Byrne a racist, then talk to anyone he's had a close working relationship with in his two-plus decades in the industry. I don't anyone will be able to dig up an instance where John Byrne is by any definition a racist. And anyone can be made out a "racist". I think black culture sucks right now. What happened to the music? What happened to the look? Where are the genuis icons? Where are the voices? But I'm racist because I hate the current music, the look, the "icons". Don't worry, I hate the white culture too. In fact, I hate everybody everywhere.

Except here. And all pretty ladies. And, eh, old kung fu masters. But everybody else can go to hell!

edited because I suck

Edited by Chad Carter on 30 June 2006 at 6:30pm

Darragh Greene
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2006 at 5:49pm | IP Logged | 4  

I'm glad I'm a comicbook reader and not a fan.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2006 at 5:54pm | IP Logged | 5  

Adult comic book fans don't seem to be the most intelligent, well-rounded of lads and lassies. I include myself in that group.

I dunno dude. I'm getting pretty round. Pear shaped anyway.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2006 at 6:14pm | IP Logged | 6  

Adult comic book fans don't seem to be the most intelligent, well-rounded of lads and lassies. I include myself in that group.

I'm glad you spoke for yourself there Joe, but I don't know how true that is of alla dult comic book fans.  Perhaps we could, as Darragh has done, distinguished readers from fans.  I don't know how much parsing is needed but that's a bit of a generalization.  We talk comics here because it's a comics forum, occasuinally we branch off but there's a lot of intelligence on this board and amongst my friends. 

As for JB being racist, pshaw.  These are probably the same who say he's misogynist.  A professor of mine in college said, "Stay away from -isms."  That can have a few meanings but it's true.

JB is one of the only artists who doesn't need to draw diagonal lines to show that a character is African-American.  (Another cartoonist who excels at this is Alison Bechdel, author of the new graphic novel "Fun Home" and "Dykes to Watch Out For")  Bechdel said she didn't want to do those lines like she saw Franklin in Charlie Brown having.

And George, JB isn't the Pope;  I don't think he needs a goodwill tour.  Addressing these issues and being honest on this board, as he is doing, is great.  Let those who've been accusing him come HERE and read.

Edited by Ed Aycock on 30 June 2006 at 6:15pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2006 at 6:41pm | IP Logged | 7  

To me, most everyone here on the Byrne board are smart, truly interesting people.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 30 June 2006 at 7:00pm | IP Logged | 8  

I agree, Joe.

You included.

Other boards, not so much.  Not all other boards.  But many.

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2006 at 7:10pm | IP Logged | 9  

The average American citizen doesn't read comics. Does out there really think of the "average" American citizen as being particularly brilliant?

There is this naive cult-of-personality that believes that just because someone finds pleasure in escapist idealism, that that person is blind to all other viewpoints and only likes to indulge in that kind of entertainment. Case in point: Michael Moorcock's views on the works J.R.R. Tolkien. (This guy, of course, esteems the works of James Joyce. James Joyce did not write stories; he mentally masturbated onto paper. But I digress...)

The main problem with so many Byrne-Detractors is that they fail to get his aggressive sense of humor/personality simply because they can't fathom how the guy that brought them Fantastic Four and Superman could have such varying, often controversial, viewpoints. The concept of writing for the characters is totally over their heads as well. This obviously causes a lot of the confusion.

Many modern fans and creators don't see the classic icons as inviolable ideals (which is what they really are or should be) but see them as empty vessels to be drained and filled again with all the narrow-minded facility of whoever happens to writing said character at the given moment.

It’s interesting what’s accepted. My theory is that JB represents the “old guard” and also has an “authority figure” type aura about himself, given his long career and knowledge of the industry. It’s funny that it’s ok to proclaim the Marquis De Sade an anti-hero but one can’t question the “heroic status” of an invalid that had not one iota of interest in stem-cell research before said invalids’ accident (And I ADORE Christopher Reeves. Honestly). It’s been known for years that the truth is never popular. This is just another one of those instances.

Edited by Robert White on 30 June 2006 at 7:11pm

Keith Lee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2006 at 7:12pm | IP Logged | 10  

All:
  JB might be alot of things to alot of people; but, he is no bigot. 
  BTW, if this doesn't get off the path too much.  JB, has any editor or publisher come to you to demand that you change either the sex or race of a character for whatever reason?  Just curious.

Keith

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 30 June 2006 at 7:15pm | IP Logged | 11  

It's not just comic message boards - I post sometimes on the Geldof board, and they get a regular parade of folk coming through complaining about how much Geldof has screwed the Africans or whatever... likewise, on the David Lynch board, he limited it to just popping into chat, giving a daily filmed message and weather report, and having questions in and answering them on camera, a few at a time.  Worked great.  Then, recently, he set up a mesage board type thing - mainly to discuss his new love of conspiricy theories - he doesn't even post on it - he just says the subject in his daily film, and leaves it open to debate on the msg board, but... it was like 3 days in before it was overrun with "trolls".

The internet is the best friend to a whole world of sad lonely people.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2006 at 7:28pm | IP Logged | 12  

I gave up trying to figure out the "why" behind these people long ago. It's obviously somthing I'm not going to understand so I'm not wasting any more energy on it. I am content to be a John Byrne fan and feel very fortunate that one of my most favorite creators for the last 20+ years makes himself available to most any damn question I've ever thrown at him.

<< Prev Page of 45 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version