Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 45 Next >>
Topic: John Byrne - Threat or Menace? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2006 at 3:25am | IP Logged | 1  

Most of this shit isn't even from people who really care. They think they care but it's all matter of very artificial importance to them. They will routinely swallow horses and gag on fliesall the day long.

They are essentially a bunch of thirty year old kids with a "comics:love 'em or leave 'em" attitude who hate seeing their current favorite whack rag being criticized. As a bonus they are always on the lookout for something quasi familiar to snark on so they play a little game...They come on this forum, look for something that they don't approve of, drag it back to the nest(usually CBR or Newsarama) and proceed to publicize it as widely as they can with their freebie accounts. Then they attach the usual "brilliant" commentary.

John Byrne: Total douche or raving tool?

John Byrne Fascist backward idiot or filthy gibbering imbecile?

Blah blah blah.

And if you read their post histories you often find out that in the thick of various arguments they are no stranger to being rude, upset, or combatitive themselves. But what is always a mountain coming from Mr. Byrne is a mere molehill when it is traced back to them. Mr. Byrne is according to their "logic" a celebrity and therefore must be a saint at all times. Especially when the rats come swarming out of the sewer to try and piss on him because...well...the sewer gets boring after a while...

Edited by Emery Calame on 01 July 2006 at 3:29am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 July 2006 at 3:53am | IP Logged | 2  

JB, has any editor or publisher come to you to demand that you change either the sex or race of a character for whatever reason?

Closest would be the "creation" of Bishop, in the X-MEN, which was actually dictated by -- believe it or not! -- Marketing! That's right, the guys whose job it is to sell the comics handed down an editorial dictate, telling us that X-MEN needed a new character, and said character had to have certain qualities, including "he has to be Black."

It was the first time in my career up to that point that I had been told a character had to be a particular race in order to boost sales!

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 July 2006 at 3:58am | IP Logged | 3  

Perhaps, although I'd say most do it just because it seems to be the thing to do on the comic message boards, trash Byrne.

Saddest part of all this, perhaps, is the so-called "professionals" I have seen engage in this kind of tripe. Firing off as "shot" at me that is utterly unconnected to anything else they are saying or writing -- just something "witty" tossed in to show the fans how "kewl" said "pro" is. How sad is it when someone working in the industry needs to dis me in order to get "cred" with the "fans"?

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2006 at 4:03am | IP Logged | 4  

[drumming my finger to wait for the new "JB didn't want to create Bishop because he's Black thread!" @ Fanaticswereredhairshirts.com]
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2006 at 5:14am | IP Logged | 5  

Love the 90's!

LOL, LOL & re-LOL

or maybe should I rather cry?

Edited by Stéphane Garrelie on 01 July 2006 at 5:16am

Floyd Kermode
Byrne Robotics Member
Worked Really Hard to Get Banned

Posted: 01 July 2006 at 5:26am | IP Logged | 6  

(a comment on the original post)
 yeah, fair enough, using the 'n-word' doesn't make you a racist. It's a matter of how the word is used and who's using it. 

Gary Hart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2006 at 5:35am | IP Logged | 7  

I wouldn't even give it another second's thought, JB...

Prejudiced? Never ever picked up that at all...it makes me laugh- I'd go so far as to say that in a lot of climes, you'd even be considered a liberal (not that there's anything wrong with being liberal)..

I think it almost impossible to associate such a creative soul as yours with any forms of limited thinking, nor would you I'm sure want to be.

I've been a member for a coupl'a years now and I've gotta say that I've never picked up anything but respect for all individuals posting here- their opinions, etc- especially from JB and also from all group members

David Brunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2006 at 5:41am | IP Logged | 8  

Something happened to England after I left. The people who had fought thru the Blitz, survied Dunkirk, produced Shakespeare, carved an empire upon which the sun never set --- morphed into a nation of nihilistic whiners. "Fascist England", a term that could be coined only by someone who had never personally experienced Fascism.

---

I bristled at everyone of my nationality being described a nihilistic whiner . At which point we should all sing the song from Avenue Q.

Glenn Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2006 at 5:42am | IP Logged | 9  

Gary, it's one thing to express your support for JB but I think there are many people, both current and former board members, who would beg to differ with your last statement.  People get blasted here for offering differing opinions/viewpoints all of the time.  Have you never looked in any threads about religion, politics or comic-to-film adaptations?

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2006 at 5:49am | IP Logged | 10  

Probably why Gary used "I've".

Gary Hart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2006 at 5:51am | IP Logged | 11  

hi Glen...well, I'll admit that I don't read every single thread, and don't know what was the specific thread or statement that lead to the posting of the origination of THIS thread in the first place- maybe I was thinking about personal prejudices ONLY- the big ones- race, religion, sexual orientation only. In those areas, I don't recall any big putdown examples...e.g..using deragatory lang in reference to gays...

I will say, yes, I've heard strong disagreement with views in many areas Glenn, so..can't argue with you there

David Farley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2006 at 5:52am | IP Logged | 12  

Having started reading JB's books way back in the Team-Up days, and having read pretty much everything he's done since then, I haven't yet come across anything that would justify the racist remark. I tend to agree that the "Diatribes" come from mostly ignorent internet trolls. JB has never treated me in any way other than with respect. Hopefully, some day, it'll ease up some.

<< Prev Page of 45 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version