Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 45 Next >>
Topic: John Byrne - Threat or Menace? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 July 2006 at 6:03am | IP Logged | 1  

Unfortunately, David, for things to "ease up" a whole lot of sad boys would have to admit they were wrong. People who frequent this board see me doing just that quite often. Ironically, those same people who insist I never do. . .   never do.
Back to Top profile | search

Gary Hart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2006 at 6:07am | IP Logged | 2  

uuhh...well...on the other hand...

I CAN remember one example of a discussion that I brought up a while ago that ended...kinda ugly...

One thing that IS ..unfair I admit...the GANGING UP up that can sometimes happen towards one point of view by a seeming multitude...but..wat can I say?
We happen to be in a country where EVERYONE entitled to an opinion...even if they sometimes seem to be a Group effort, and not from a thoughtful mind...or any thinking put into the response...(Me Too...Me Too...)

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 July 2006 at 6:08am | IP Logged | 3  

EVERYONE entitled to an opinion

Everyone is entitled to an INFORMED opinion.

Luke Smyth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2006 at 6:18am | IP Logged | 4  

I'm curious, could you define an INFORMED opinion?  Is it possible to have an INFORMED opinion on a book or film for example if one has not read or seen it?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 July 2006 at 6:31am | IP Logged | 5  

An informed opinion is exactly what it says -- an opinion which is based on information -- facts -- gathered about a particular subject.

Is it possible to have an informed opinion about a book or movie without reading or seeing? Of course -- provided one limits that opinion to the elements of those things about which one is informed. For instance, another thread mentions "Cinderella Man". I have not seen this movie, nor do I ever intend to. That is because my opinion based on what I know to be true about the movie tells me there is a fatal flaw in the script which would make it impossible for me to enjoy the film and, indeed, ruins what might otherwise be a fine movie. This opinion makes no comment on the performances, the direction, the production design, or any of the other elements which go to making a movie, since I know nothing about those.

This is a mistake which comes up often on this board and elsewhere. "Shouldn't you wait to see the movie before you form an opinion?" No -- if there is enough factual information available to form an opinion without seeing it. (Interestingly enough, I have hardly ever seen this phrase invoked when someone praises a movie they have not seen. "This looks great!" is exempt, apparently, from the same "rule" that governs "this looks bad".)

Luke Smyth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2006 at 6:42am | IP Logged | 6  

Thanks for the clarification.  I agree with that definition completely. 

Gary Hart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2006 at 6:50am | IP Logged | 7  

I agree w JB on the point of an INFORMED opinion...one reason as a gay guy I offer NO opinions on something like...Abortion...sure I'm Catholic, but....it's an area whereas I'm not a parent or would be parent OR female I shy away from

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 July 2006 at 7:22am | IP Logged | 8  

All men, regardless of their personal orientation sexually, should be Pro-Choice. It is, after all, none of our business what a woman does with her body.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2006 at 7:32am | IP Logged | 9  

" It's not just comics fans.  It's books, it's movies, it's TV ... it's called PR. "

PR is essentially the manipulation of public opinion. I don't associate being manipulable as also being intelligent or well-informed.

Gary Hart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2006 at 7:43am | IP Logged | 10  

But...If I DID have to offer an opinion, then, yes, it would be Pro-Choice...

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2006 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 11  

"after all, none of our business what a woman does with her body."-JB

I agree with the final assesment of this, it is their body after all but men -are- entitled to their opinion and all men should deliberate on this -before- they find their council being sought by their partner/friend on this very subject. Indecision and "It's your decision" isn't the reply women are looking for at that moment in time. Having your opinion will most likely galvanise their own opinion.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 July 2006 at 7:55am | IP Logged | 12  

A man who gets a woman pregnant -- deliberately or otherwise -- is immediately handed a boatload of responsibility. But, in the end, it is the woman's choice, and only her choice, whether or not to carry the pregancy to term. (This point was underscored rather nicely on an episode of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show", in which Ted Baxter decides one day he wants to have a baby with new wife Georgette. She is resistant, and Ted, grumbling to his male pals in the newsroom says "I'm just asking her to have a baby! It's not like I'm asking for a year of her life!")

<< Prev Page of 45 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version