Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: JBF Reading Club: Namor #1 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 November 2006 at 9:04am | IP Logged | 1  

JB why the change of shape from Namor's more angular head shape?

Namor does not have an "angular" head. As originally drawn by Bill Everett, he had three distinct plumes of hair, as if he had just run his hands back over his skull to push the wet hair off his face, Swimmer's hair, in other words. Over time -- especailly after he was brought back as an FF "villain", this conventionalized into the familiar "flat" head.

Taking John Buscema as my lead, I decided to try to get back closer to Everett's intent.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 November 2006 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 2  

What was the inspiration for starting the series and for having the corporate element added to the mix?

Editor Terry Kavanagh called me one day to ask if I would be interested intaking on a new Sub-Mariner series with a corporate twist. Since this fit perfectly with what had been previously established for the character, I jumped right in. I suggested callind the book NAMOR, to give it a more readable logo, and then I sent in the design for the logo that was used

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2006 at 9:19am | IP Logged | 3  

Interesting, JB. There was definitely a strong ecological current to the stories. I liked that Namor was really taking charge to defend the oceans. Having him as the power behind a corporation was an unexpected concept. At least to me at the time.

The Marrs twins were a good addition to the Marvel landscape. Ruthless in business but highly flawed characters themselves. Not may issues I can think of where we are introduced to someone new while they are trying to commit suicide.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 November 2006 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 4  

Many readers wrote in to ask if the Marrs twins were in some way connected to the God of War himself. I wonder how many would have professed horror at the "cliché" if I had, indeed, gone in that direction.

Desmond and Phoebe were, of course, heavily influenced by the portrayal of Mel and Susan Profitt, on "Wiseguy" around the same time.

Derek Cavin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2006 at 10:07am | IP Logged | 5  

Good stuff. These came out durning my "I'm upset with industry hiatus" that I seem to do about every 3-5 years. However, I was lucky enough to come across them in the early 2000s and my LCS had all the JB issues. When I found these, I hadn't even realize Mr. Byrne worked on this book.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jeremy Boyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2006 at 10:07am | IP Logged | 6  

I liked Namor before this series and came to quickly love him when JB was working on him...

I too am curious as to why the Alexanders got so quickly pushed aside...  any thoughts JB?

I would love to comment on the wonderful things that happened in this series but I guess I should wait til the reading club gets to those specific issues.

One final compliment: Wonderful first issue JB -- this is the template on how to introduce a character to a new audience as well as give something for those older readers more familiar with Marvel's history to enjoy.  It's almost like a reboot that fits in continuity to everything that has come before.

Love it!  Do you look at this piece of work and find flaws JB or are you happier with this than say, your earlier Marvel work (early FF, MTU, Alpha Flight stuff...)?

Edited by Jeremy Boyd on 02 November 2006 at 10:08am

Norman Hardy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2006 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 7  

I distinctly remember doing a Florida Evans when I opened this issue and saw the Wiacek inks.

"Damn, damn, DAMN!!"

But it was a great first issue, and of course, things just got better for the next two years.

Jason Fliegel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2006 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 8  

I haven't read this series since it first came out, and I long since lost my issues, so re-reading is not an option at this point.  Hopefully, we'll get a reprint sometime soon (maybe when the movie comes out, assuming it ever does)?

Edit: And of course, I forgot to finish the thought that spurred me to post in the first place, which was this -- I remember really enjoying this series when I did read it.  I liked that it was a wholly fresh take on Namor that still flowed organically from what had been previously portrayed.

Edited by Jason Fliegel on 02 November 2006 at 11:28am

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2006 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 9  

Norman, I can't believe you pulled out the Florida Evans on me.

I've been a fan of the Sub-Mariner for a long time.  You've got an undersea king possessed of enormous strength, nifty little ankle wings that inexplicably provide enough power for flight, plus control over (and the abilities of) a number of undersea creatures.  His titanic battles with the Hulk and fights with the Fantastic Four are among my favorite comic book confrontations.  And then there's that incredible "Imperious Rex" battle cry...

JB, was it you who got rid of Namor's wrist bands?  (They never said "swimmer" to me.)  Also, did you give any consideration to putting him back in his orange trunks?

I'm about to read my lady's BLACK PANTHER #21.  I wonder how well Namor is portrayed in the issue.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Gerry Turnbull
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2006 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 10  

knew i had this around here somewhere

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Gerry Turnbull
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2006 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 11  

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Gerry Turnbull
Byrne Robotics Member