Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: JBF Reading Club: Namor #1 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2006 at 4:47pm | IP Logged | 1  

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2006 at 4:51pm | IP Logged | 2  

Is it just me, or is the logo placement for Marvel Age #86 above *REALLY*
bad?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2006 at 4:52pm | IP Logged | 3  

Yes! That's the one. Way to go, Gerry. I swear I have it floating around somewhere. The beginning of the 90s collecting began for me with that comic. Oh what a ride it was.

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2006 at 5:43pm | IP Logged | 4  

Great first issue. Love the second/third page of Namor coming out of the water. Also loved the explanation of Namor's rages. The Marrs twin had a great introduction. It was a great way to start off the series.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2006 at 5:55pm | IP Logged | 5  

The blood imbalance was a nice way to come to terms with Namor's .. unstable history. He was sure hard to figure out. He could go from bad to good pretty much in one comic. Some readers don't like explanation or the why's behind things but I do and that was a good one. I haven't kept up with every Namor appearance in the last few years. Has that explanation been used any further in post Namor comics or did it just get dropped?

David Whiteley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2006 at 6:08pm | IP Logged | 6  

Andrew, it is not just you.

Christopher Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2006 at 8:20pm | IP Logged | 7  

Wait!  How did Aquaman survive being out of the water for an entire hour!?

CJA

Christopher Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2006 at 8:28pm | IP Logged | 8  

and why does Aquaman's face look so much like those other two characters' face on those two pages?

CJA

Jacob Reyn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2006 at 8:38pm | IP Logged | 9  

Was issue #22 JB's last Namor book?

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2006 at 8:43pm | IP Logged | 10  

No, Jacob. He wrote and drew the series up to #25. Then plotted and or scripted for a handful more. Jae Lee took over penciling for a time and it went from there.

Jim Lynch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2006 at 9:06pm | IP Logged | 11  

Believe it or not I had some issues with this series. Having been a JB fan since FF 211 or so, I read and studied everything JB did. In fact, JB taught me everything I know (or knew) about drawing faces and bodies. However, I was a 20 year old hormone, I felt vaguely uneasy studying the two page spread of a nearly naked man. Now, in my old age, I feel a bit foolish about it.

Also, not having read a lot of the old FFs I kind of scoffed at idea of Namor becoming rich off sunken treasure, but now I see it not only had a precednt, it was also an absolutely perfect comic book plot point. I also enjoyed the Alexanders and the way they tied into the old Namor...but refresh my memory, was that Namor's origin story?

Chris Durnell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2006 at 10:03pm | IP Logged | 12  

Namor # 1 left me very excited after I read it.  My only disappointment is that the first issue did not have any action - no real conflict or fight, but it did its job in setting up the direction of the series so that subsequent issues leaped into the plots.  I especially liked the "blood imbalance" theory - an utterly bogus explanation that came out of nowhere, but did its job so that we could concentrate on Namor being the hero and not menacing out.

I greatly enjoyed JB's work on the series.  I think it's one of his career highlights.  I can't remember a clunky issue of the book, and there were some great moments - the Invaders reunion and the return of Iron Fist.  I especially like the Atlantean science and Savage Land connection.

The only fault is that the actual level of corporate intrigue was low.  Yes, we had the Marrs twins and the occassional cameo of Roxxon, but I was hoping to see the presence of many of Marvel's old villain (or even benign) corporations in cut-throat competition.  The thought of seeing companies seeking Namor's help in a corporate alliance, or the power of Roxxon Oil in attempting to crush him thrilled my li'l heart back, but I never got that.

I stopped buying when JB dropped the art chores, but I honestly thought he was no longer on the book at the end of Namor # 25, and the art did not attract me.  Perhaps later were the stories I thought would happen.

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version