Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 21 Next >>
Topic: If There was a Marvel… (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2007 at 12:38pm | IP Logged | 1  

Of those listed, Nick Fury and The Invaders stand out the most for me. I've said before I would love to see you do a  "MARVEL 1942" book using whatever WWII characters fit the stories.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2007 at 12:38pm | IP Logged | 2  

If anyone could make Ka-Zar or Nick Fury interesting for me, it would be you.  I have always thought of these two as a bit one dimensional.  As for the Black Fox, I don't know remember much about the character except that I didn't like the collar on costume.

I would most like to see you do an Invaders series.
Back to Top profile | search

Dave Powell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2007 at 12:39pm | IP Logged | 3  

Guardians of the Galaxy is one of those titles I always dreamed of seeing you on,  Avengers in space, with a lot of Star Trek in the mix.  The thing I love most about the idea is that it's one of those alternate timelines, you don't have to worry about what those jerks on the main line are doing!  (Oh and it's the same line as Killraven, how can you go wrong?)

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2007 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 4  

Doctor Strange is the big gun on that list to me.  JB's Doctor Strange would make me run to the store -- er, faster than the other titles would. 

The gravitas, heroism and spectacle of Doctor Strange done right would suit JB's writing and drawing perfectly.

Michael Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2007 at 1:17pm | IP Logged | 5  

Invaders is a natural pick but you would bump into continuity problems and Cap problems (and what is the Invaders without Cap)

I rather see Dr Strange in The Defenders.  More range with a team book AND interesting characters (some B list) you could explore.

Mostly -- Guardians of the Galaxy.  It is an alternate timeline AND that could be further enhanced by using the current Vance Astro as the spring board.  Somehow get him on a ship that gets "Buck Rogered" into the future where he's then trapped in a cryogenic suit again and meets up with updated versions of the other GOTG members.  It would create a sense of irony that Vance could not escape his fate even though his alternate future self tried to free him of 1000 years of torture...(back in that 80s Thing Team-Up book)

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2007 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 6  

The Invaders!

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2007 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 7  

Doctor Strange...bring the Jason Blood vibe to Doc Strange; thinking along those lines, I wonder if anyone's ever considered maybe bringing back the "masked" Doc Strange, but have the mask kind of change Doc into a Shadow-like sorcerer, kind of stained by his own contact with great evil sort of thing?

Profits: With guest appearances and maybe even a Defenders undercurrent, this title could see 12 plus issues, at least (and yeah, it's pathetic to say, but these days titles of quality that aren't Big Names don't last)

Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD...if you look at the James Bond/Jason Bourne/"24" and comics like the Wolverine "Agent of Hydra/SHIELD" upsurge in espionage stories hitting big with the pop culture, a Nick Fury comic could gather force, particularly if Nick is put back into "the Field" as an agent rather than head of SHIELD...maybe he's demoted and gets his hands really dirty again...comic book espionage could be even better, with Fury breaking into Avengers mansion, infiltrating Doc Doom's Latveria, maybe even on a retrieval mission to Asgard, the possibilities abound.

Profits: readers seems to dig long involved stories about covert operations, as 100 BULLETS and QUEEN AND COUNTRY attests, and even THE LOSERS lasted a couple years I think. Could be a sneaky hit for a couple years, then.

The Invaders (WW2)...of course I'm all over it, don't know about modern readership...let's say the take if slightly different though, and a hero from the present day is accidentally lost in time and ends up in WW2 to fight alongside the Invaders...flip the Captain America dynamic on its head, sending a modern hero back to the 40s, in order to have that contrast that made Cap in modern day (60s) so interesting. But what young hero can be spared, who still has a little recognizability, and is that even necessary? Ideas  (variation not John Jameson, young and with enough intelligence to communicate and reason, still is a curse). Or just create a young superhero who has to learn how to be a hero from Cap, maybe in conflict with Namor's hot-headedness.

Profits: hard to say, but more like mini-series material or even a story to another series

Guardians of the Galaxy...mentioned to a comic friend, flipped over the idea, but I've never been the biggest fan; still, maybe the most popular choice

Profits: maybe huge, considering the Star Wars/Trekkies in comicdom

Black Panther (bouncing between NY and Wakanda)...any time a jungle character hits modern civilization, I'm all over it. Black Panther was my favorite Avenger during the John Buscema 60s.

Profits: well, the Panther has always had a measure of success, and if you can find the right balance of workingman and royalty, and an emotional context for the Panther, or a righteous revenge-driven rage, this series will pile up issues

Ka-Zar (in New York)...like the Panther, but you get down to street level...might be really interesting to see Ka-Zar as some kind of Special Unit of the NYPD, all by himself, tackling super-villains the superheroes haven't time to track...plus a blood feud with Kraven would be nice

Profits: small returns, but I'd read it in a second

The Black Fox (a cheat, I know, but I have not done him in his own title)...the flat fact is, I'd read this over any of them. I hate to think the Fox's future must entail death by Skrull, but it's fine. If I might beg, JB versions of the Destroyer, Whizzer, Blazing Skull must find their way into this series. Plus, this is another chance for JB to finally tell all the Batman stories he probably has stored over a lifetime of professional work, never having a proper place to tell them

Profits: if the Batman connection is embraced instead of denied, this could be a work well-remembered but hard to say with certainty.

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2007 at 1:41pm | IP Logged | 8  

Nick Fury would be the choice for me.  I love the several illustrations you've done with Nick from Sensational She-Hulk GN and your last run on the FF, you seem to have an informative ground on the character.  I feel you could explore him quite well.  Also I think you have a fascination of WWII. 

Charles Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2007 at 2:17pm | IP Logged | 9  

The Invaders or Guardians of the Galaxy would be my picks, I love team books and in the past or future would be more interesting to see JBs universe for these books, maybe even a Crossover? Think about it?

Laren Farmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2007 at 3:01pm | IP Logged | 10  

I would buy any of the choices listed.  But my first choice would be Invaders, all the way. 

Nick Fury as second choice. 

And I'm really torn between Dr. Strange, Black Fox and Guardians of the Galaxy for my 3rd place choice. 

Back to Top profile | search | www

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2007 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 11  

Nick Fury Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Because S.H.I.E.L.D.(Mk 2.) has needed a good enema for a while now

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2007 at 3:34pm | IP Logged | 12  

I agree that it might be more prudent to team Dr. Strange with a few other characters, preferably a new incarnation of the Defenders. I would love a Strange solo, but the realist in me wonders if anyone could keep one afloat for long in todays climate. Just for fun, my dream JB Defenders lineup would be:

Dr.Strange, Sub-Mariner, Valkyrie, Ghost Rider, She-Hulk, and Longshot. The Hulk and Surfer would make somewhat frequent guest appearances, of course, and the team would be based in Doctor Strange's Sanctum Sanctorum.

<< Prev Page of 21 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version