Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: JB: any "classic characters" you just don’t get? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2007 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 1  

JB:  Are there any characters from the Marvel or DC universes,  you just don't get or see the attraction in?  I think at one time you mentioned something similar to this about the Kree Captain Marvel. 

I never "got" Lobo, course maybe he's not a classic.

Thanks.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 August 2007 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 2  

There have been versions of Mar-Vell I liked. The Avengers period under Neal Adams, for instance.

Venom mystifies me. Most of the mutants who came along after me. I'd have trouble definiing any of these as "classics", of course.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2007 at 10:19am | IP Logged | 3  

"Classic" would be like Martian Manhunter. Never got him.

Quasar or Marvel Boy, pretty much the same. He would be "classic" only by proxy of having first appeared in the 1950s.

Bradley Dean
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2007 at 10:22am | IP Logged | 4  

I have never really got Martian Manhunter either

Greg Kirkpatrick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2007 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 5  

I liked Venom originally, but then he became overused, his character was a hero/villain, and he became a caricature of himself with that ridiculous tounge. 

Kurt Anderson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2007 at 11:08am | IP Logged | 6  

The Martian Manhunter of my personal golden age was written out of the Justice League while he searched for his people in space.

Which is why it mystifies me to hear people say, "It isn't the Justice League without the Martian Manhunter."

To someone that began reading JLA in the 80's, he's the core of the team.  To me and my friends in the late 60's and 70's, he was the Superman clone that was taken out to prevent redundancy.

Derek Cavin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2007 at 12:00pm | IP Logged | 7  

I sold them recently, but I had early issues of JLA from the sixties and to me Martian Manhunter actually looked more like a black man with green skin compared to how he looks now. I always wondered what the intent was there? Integration or just an artistic choice.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 August 2007 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 8  

…he was the Superman clone…

•••

J'Onn is only a "Superman clone" if he is written badly. After all, Superman can't turn into other people, or become invisible. He can't walk thru walls or read minds. And, of course, he isn't seven feet tall and green!

Michael Connell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2007 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 9  

Not sure if he's considered "classic" (he isn't to me) but I never took a shine to the Punisher.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 August 2007 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 10  

I had early issues of JLA from the sixties and to me Martian Manhunter actually looked more like a black man with green skin compared to how he looks now. I always wondered what the intent was there?

•••

This is something that happens to a lot of characters. I call it "drift". You start out with somebody really interesting looking, and over a period of time they morph into much more ordinary looking folk. Happened to J'Onn, happened to Kalibak, even to Kuurgo, "Master of Planet X" in less than an issue! And, of course, some characters go the other way, Raven for instance.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2007 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 11  

Martian Manhunter was written really well in Action Comics #595, where he played a big part in helping Superman defeat The Silver Banshee. I think Martian Manhunter has carved out his own niche over time - and I think he was the best thing (the only good thing) about the 1997 live-action Justice League movie.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 August 2007 at 12:25pm | IP Logged | 12  

I've only had the chance to use J'Onn a few times -- that Silver Banshee story was one of them* -- but I have always tried to play up the elements that are different from Superman.

*Yes, I killed Superman, too. I just brought him back to life in the same issue. 'Member when we used to do stuff like that?

Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version