Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Question for JB about Kristoff (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2007 at 10:15pm | IP Logged | 1  

JB when Kristoff was given Doom's brain, did you intend for it to be for keeps? Or I mean was Kristoff being Doom going to be the new status quo?

Edited by Victor .R. Rodgers on 05 December 2007 at 11:38am
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 December 2007 at 1:02pm | IP Logged | 2  

It's too late for someone to steal this story now, I suppose.

I intended Doom to return to Latvaria and absolutely FREAK OUT when he
discovered what his robots had done to Kristoff. Basically -- he'd need a
whole lot of new robots by the time he calmed down. And then he would
devote a whole lot of time and energy to restoring Kristoff. (I had not
decided if he would be successful. Part of my brain wanted him to realize he
needed the help of the other smartest guy on the planet -- and there was
no way he could ever go there!)

Juan Jose Colin Arciniega
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2007 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 3  

Wow...that was my impression about that storyline...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jay Famous
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2007 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 4  

I intended Doom to return to Latvaria and absolutely FREAK OUT when he
discovered what his robots had done to Kristoff. Basically -- he'd need a
whole lot of new robots by the time he calmed down. And then he would
devote a whole lot of time and energy to restoring Kristoff.
- JB

Wow. Untill this very moment I had always assumed that Kristoff's brainwashing was Doom's own contingency plan, which, I must add, seemed perfectly in character with Doom as you had written him. I had no idea that the Doombots had gone into business for themselves. I'd even assumed that in Doom's mind this was in no way a form of abuse, since Kristoff could have no higher honor bestowed upon him than to become heir to Doom's magnificent intellect. I wonder- when you say Doom would have "freaked out", would this have been outrage at the treatment Kristoff had been subjected to, or indignance that the Doombots had dared to give Doom's greatest asset, his mind (and ego), to someone else?

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2007 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 5  

Now that's a Goddamn in-character, twistedly noble Doom.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2007 at 2:14pm | IP Logged | 6  

That would have been a very cool story. And I think it would have blown the
minds of us fans.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2007 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 7  

Wow. Untill this very moment I had always assumed that Kristoff's brainwashing was Doom's own contingency plan, which, I must add, seemed perfectly in character with Doom as you had written him. I had no idea that the Doombots had gone into business for themselves. I'd even assumed that in Doom's mind this was in no way a form of abuse, since Kristoff could have no higher honor bestowed upon him than to become heir to Doom's magnificent intellect. I wonder- when you say Doom would have "freaked out", would this have been outrage at the treatment Kristoff had been subjected to, or indignance that the Doombots had dared to give Doom's greatest asset, his mind (and ego), to someone else?

+++++++++++

I've tended to think the same way, but now that JB has revealed what would have happened, it makes perfect sense.

The Doombots, sophisticated as they are, cannot duplicate the real Von Doom's twisted nobility. So of course they'd go through with such an evil plan, whereas the real Doom would not be pleased at all.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Marc Foxx
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2007 at 2:42pm | IP Logged | 8  

+++++++++++

I've tended to think the same way, but now that JB has revealed what would have happened, it makes perfect sense.

The Doombots, sophisticated as they are, cannot duplicate the real Von Doom's twisted nobility. So of course they'd go through with such an evil plan, whereas the real Doom would not be pleased at all.

But don't you think part of the anger would be from Doom's vanity?  After all, only Doom can be Doom.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Walter Skidmore
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2007 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 9  

But don't you think part of the anger would be from Doom's vanity?  After all, only Doom can be Doom.

You and I are in total agreement on this on, Marc.  I pretty much said the same thing in the other thread about Doom.

Jeff W Williams
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2007 at 2:47pm | IP Logged | 10  

How would you have tied that into the below (from 1999)?  It definitely sounds like something I'd have read.  Your FF run was full of great moments.

>> I always felt you had bigger plans for Kristoff ... may I ask what was in store for him if you were writing the FF today? <<

JB: Not today, 15 years later! But at the time I left, I was planning a year long arc of interconnected stories under the umbrella title "Doom War". Doctor Doom vs. Kristoff/Doom with the FF frequently caught in the middle. I had not worked out the specifics of the resolution, save that I knew Kristoff would die, and Doom, typically, would find a way to blame the FF.

Edited by Jeff W Williams on 05 December 2007 at 2:47pm

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2007 at 2:49pm | IP Logged | 11  

That storyline never really sat well with me....but I suspect I've been misinterpreting Doom's (and JB's) intentions all along....I'm very curious to see JB talk about this some more.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2007 at 2:49pm | IP Logged | 12  

What a story that would have been.  Doom going medieval on his robots.  Wow.

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version