Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 32 Next >>
Topic: Whatever happened to the X-Men? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2007 at 10:51pm | IP Logged | 1  

I honestly believe I would have taken steps to prevent a nuclear war.

You just said yourself right there what separates you from a villain like Magneto.  You’d do what you could to prevent a nuclear war…not win one.

If one of those gorillas woke up with the ability to kill all six billion of us, I don't think I could make an honest argument in stopping it.

Well, unless we didn’t get the point after the first billion…

But from Magneto's point of view, it's not about peaceful coexistance because Magneto believes this can never happen. And so far history has proven him right.

So Magneto is redeemable because he is devoid of hope?

Back to Top profile | search

Scott McKeeve
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2007 at 11:29pm | IP Logged | 2  

"You just said yourself right there what separates you from a villain like Magneto."

"Well, unless we didn't get the point after the first billion."

Excellent points, Brad and what you're saying is completely valid. I believe that Magneto is a villain. But I'm also human. Ask me again in case I hit a very late puberty and find out I'm a mutant.

I hate to paraphrase/borrow from Star Wars but many of our truths and beliefs come from our point of view. I don't want to get into a definition of philosophy argument about "What is truth?" but everything is eventually subjective.

I should also clarify about which Magneto I'm talking about. Next to Dr. Doom, no other Marvel Villain has strayed so far, so many times from his original design. My version of Magneto is a combination Lee/Claremont Magneto. Much like Doom, he would be magnanimous and generous to his people but without scruples for the most part when dealing with the rest of the world in wartime. The difference between the two is that Doom ultimately beliefs and acts for himself. Magneto, I believe, would sacrifice himself if it meant the liberation of his people.

On a Magneto side note, I always loved the notion of the unpublished "What If" story that JB wrote where Magneto finally conquers Earth. This new soceity is something of a Golden Age for humanity and mutant alike, for the most part. And then the Silver Surfer shows up, heralding Galactus' arrival and there is no FF to stop him. Wonderful premise. I'd love to see that in print someday.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2007 at 2:20am | IP Logged | 3  

I don't want to get into a definition of philosophy argument about "What is
truth?" but everything is eventually subjective.

---

You can't state that you don't want to get into a debate, then declare your
perspective as a truism.

As to the discussion, wasn't Magneto's first terrorist attack prior to any
organized attempt to get rid of mutants?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 December 2007 at 7:01am | IP Logged | 4  

You can easily make the case that Magneto is not a villain at all.

==

Aside from the mass-murderer part, you mean?

++

JB, I know what point you're getting at here and you know what I'm going for, as well. So off we go: if your species was potentially being murdered, exploited, enslaved, etc., then are you a mass murderer or are you justifiably defending your species?

••

All right, let's bring this into the real world. Those guys who crashed those planes into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon on September 11th. In their minds, they were defending their people, their faith, their whole way of life. So -- they should not be viewed as "villains"?

Ditto for Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, and a few hundred history books full of others, all of whom believed the cause they fought and killed for was the right one. That they were justified in their actions. Not "villains", then?

How about this exchange, from UNCANNY X-MEN 4 (original series), scripted by the guy who created the characters, and presumably understood them better than anybody:

Magneto: Only you and your X-Men stand between the mutants and world conquest! Why?? Why do you fight us? For you too are a mutant!

Xavier: But I seek to save Mankind, not destroy it! We must use our powers to bring about a Golden Age on Earth -- side by side with ordinary humans!

Magneto: Never! The humans must be our slaves! They are not worthy to share dominion of the Earth with us! You have made your choice -- forevermore we are mortal foes!

Are those the words of someone "defending (his) species"?

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2007 at 7:11am | IP Logged | 5  

What happened to the X-Men is that this foundation from Lee-Kirby was tossed in the garbage.

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2007 at 7:12am | IP Logged | 6  

Can someone please remind me who Magneto has killed? All I remember is that he sank a Russian submarine in Uncanny X-Men #150.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 December 2007 at 7:46am | IP Logged | 7  

"All"?

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2007 at 7:48am | IP Logged | 8  

A submarine full of crew, Jason...

As for Emma, I consider abduction, torture and unwilling body-switching unredeemable crimes.

Emma's affair with Scott is easily the most disturbing thing in comics the past decade. Shame on Whedon for carrying it on.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Greg Reeves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2007 at 7:52am | IP Logged | 9  

QUOTE:
What happened to the X-Men is that this foundation from Lee-Kirby was tossed in the garbage.

I just don't understand how anyone thinks keeping a character exactly the same for 45 years or so is going to keep comics interesting.  I mean, Magneto should never be a good guy, but he's much more complicated than just a would-be conqueror.  In fact, I think how he was handled in Secret Wars was perfect: no one understood why he was grouped in with the good guys when the Beyonder divided the heroes and villains, but he was misunderstood as usual and decided to leave.  Aren't the best villains the ones that we feel some sympathy for what they've been through?

By the way, the comparison to real dictators/despots is a good one when considering the early Magneto, but as he was developed in the early 80s he seemed to be more concerned with actual defense and survival than simply destruction of humanity (or people who are different).  Terrorists and Hitler and Stalin, etc, wanted to shape the world to their liking (just as early Magneto wanted) without acting in self-defense or from being mortally threatened.

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2007 at 7:52am | IP Logged | 10  

Yes, "all." Were there earlier killings that I'm not remembering? 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 December 2007 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 11  

A few decades back, Roger Stern offered this very wise observation, as to the success of the X-Men. Comic fans as a species tend to view themselves as "outsiders", as do fans of most things. They set themselves apart, and in some extreme cases even have disparaging names for those who are not fans. (You have a problem when I refer to non-fans as "civilians"? How about those who call them "mundanes"?)

The X-Men, Roger noted, speak directly to this mindset. They are outsiders who tend to hang out only with others like themselves. And, along with pretty much every teenager who ever walked the planet, they think of themselves as put upon and misunderstood.

It is not at all coincidental, then, that the shrinking of the marketplace -- which began long before the decimation of the speculator madness -- should correspond to the increase in popularity of the X-Men. The "fringe" was moving steadily closer and closer to the center. And the X-Men books reflected this, as they became less and less about a small team of mutants looking to do the right thing and show the world they were not to be "feared and hated", and more and more about "us against them" -- "us" being mutants/fans, "them" being everybody else. Concurrent with this we see a blurring of lines within the books themselves. The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, who seemed pretty secure in their zeitgeist, are nudged closer and closer to being just like the X-Men, only slightly more misunderstood. Magneto becomes a good guy. A "freedom fighter". Xavier becomes more and more a manipulator and bad guy. The books becomes all shades of grey -- and pretty muddy grey at that!

This is not what Stan and Jack had in mind, when they had the Brotherhood invade that South American nation, bedecked in pseudo-Nazi trappings! Not by accident did two New York Jews cast Magneto and his brood as parallels to the greatest evils of the 20th Century.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 December 2007 at 8:05am | IP Logged | 12  

I just don't understand how anyone thinks keeping a character exactly the
same for 45 years or so is going to keep comics interesting.

••

It is not the characters who need to change to remain "interesting". It is the
audience. The moment you start to notice that things are not "changing" is
the moment you have been reading too long.

<< Prev Page of 32 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version