Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 146 Next >>
Topic: Spider-Man rebooted (spoilers) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2008 at 8:22pm | IP Logged | 1  

I'm surprised this was a topic on Howard Stern. Never pegged him for a
comic book fan, even a casual one.

+++++

Not only is Stern a long time comic fan but his cousin is Jack Adler, who was
a long time DC employee.
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 08 January 2008 at 8:58pm | IP Logged | 2  

Chad Carter wrote:

Wouldn't this make more sense?

Interesting idea, but it makes Peter Parker (who has never really wanted to kill anyone except quite possibly in a momentary fit of rage soon quelled) into too much of a grim, gritty, depressing character.  The story you've come up with is actually a pretty complicated way at the simple answer that MJ wants a divorce, but it has the additional disadvantage of being dark as well as an event.

Me, I just want Spider-Man to crack wise a whole hell of a lot more than he has in over a decade, have the same money problems most people have, worry about his Aunt finding out about his dual identity, actually fight his Rogue's Gallery that includes more than a multi part event surrounding the Green Goblin, be younger than a late 20s/early 30s high school teacher...did I forget to mention the fun Peter has as Spider-Man?  His escape?

Yeah.  That's the character I want back.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2008 at 9:27pm | IP Logged | 3  

Well, Matt, Dan Slott is going to be fairly prominent in the immediate future. I get the sense that he understands that Spider-Man you speak of...that strange, lost creation...

I guess you're right about the Peter Parker/killing thing, but I'm thinking of a Peter driven by grief over MJ's death. Four months of manic Peter in a filthy, shredded Spider-Man suit, his lengthening unkempt beard sticking out of holes in the facemask...then learning Mary Jane's alive, and he cleans up and is ready to save her and return to the status quo that has altered with her new sense of "self". You have to admit, that particular crusher of MJ "moving on" would be a Peter Parker moment. It's complicated, but good god has Marvel convoluted everything about the character that shouldn't be convoluted.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 January 2008 at 9:33pm | IP Logged | 4  

Also, technically:

(Amazing Fantasy #15)

••

They spelled it "Super-Man" in the third issue. Does that mean that's
acceptable, too?

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2008 at 9:40pm | IP Logged | 5  

I guess you're right about the Peter Parker/killing thing, but I'm thinking of a Peter driven by grief over MJ's death. Four months of manic Peter in a filthy, shredded Spider-Man suit, his lengthening unkempt beard sticking out of holes in the facemask...then learning Mary Jane's alive, and he cleans up and is ready to save her and return to the status quo that has altered with her new sense of "self". You have to admit, that particular crusher of MJ "moving on" would be a Peter Parker moment. It's complicated, but good god has Marvel convoluted everything about the character that shouldn't be convoluted.

I'm reading that paragraph and thinking you need to go read Watchman if you want some Rorschach.
I agree with Matt, get the Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man back.  I'm going to give it a try. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Nicky DeVito
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2008 at 10:03pm | IP Logged | 6  

QUOTE:
It's "technically" nothing.

"Technically" it was for whoever posted this:

QUOTE:
I'll start worrying when they forget the hyphen in a word balloon or caption box.

Nicky DeVito
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2008 at 10:06pm | IP Logged | 7  

QUOTE:
They spelled it "Super-Man" in the third issue. Does that mean that's
acceptable, too?

No, but sure would have made for a helluva comic tho!

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2008 at 10:08pm | IP Logged | 8  

QUOTE:
No, but sure would have made for a helluva comic tho!

More like a helluva two panels (unless Ock outsmarts Superman somehow).

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2008 at 11:08pm | IP Logged | 9  

Um, I think Nicky is right about that cover....

++++++

Yeah, okay, I'll take the blame here. The lower-resolution version I looked at made it seem like there wasn't a hyphen.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2008 at 11:41pm | IP Logged | 10  

Guys -- Dan Slott has already taken care of the Peter-unmasking-in-CIVIL-WAR problem. Read:

http://spidermancrawlspace.com/miniseries/avengers_initiativ e/index.htm

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2008 at 1:31am | IP Logged | 11  

I just don't understand what on earth drove all those stupid people considered hot comic-book writers to reveal the ids of all their superheroes. I am guessing it was editorial choice, otherwise it makes no sense. X-Men, Cap, DD, Spider-Man and many others have all had their secrets revealed without any real obvious reasons. Also, without any planned way to make the whole mess disappear.

Were those guys really that dense not to suspect that it would create problems in the future?!? Aren't they (editors and writers) supposed to be looking at the bigger picture and into the future? Isn't it kind of their job?

At least having Peter marry MJ came out of the past stories (even though it was rushed), it meant something for the characters. Was it also wrong? Yes, but it at least didn't violate the superhero genre's codes...

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2008 at 1:52am | IP Logged | 12  

My idea has always been MJ just leaves Peter with no explanation. After awhile you stop mentioning her. That or Chameleon was the guy who married them. It worked for I love Lucy.

<< Prev Page of 146 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version