Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 1093 Next >>
Topic: US Presidential Election (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2008 at 11:50am | IP Logged | 1  

The 19 terrorists involved in the 9/11 plane crashes were part of the same terrorist oragnizations that many of the detainees are members of.

How many of the detainees are member of this Organization?  Not sure? Not a surprise...  Membership in a group is also not a crime...It may surprise you to find out that it is not a crime to be a member of the Communist Party...never was.But many people lost careers and livelihoods over suspicions that they might be. 

I would be at every bit as much risk then as all the innocents killed in the 9/11 attacks were.

which is to say not much at all...you still have a greater chance of being struck by lightening while feeding an elephant.

When it's your loved ones who die in the next attack maybe you'll get angry and come to your senses.

And now I am out of my senses because I care about human rights abuses...nice.

Oh and by the way, nice job completely ignoring the rest of my questions...you not wanting to elaborate on the definitions of Terrorists or combatant or defender speaks volumes.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Geoff Gibson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2008 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 2  

I strongly disagree that we were attacked because they hate our freedoms.  That's a mental band-aid the government handed us to put on because of its unassailable simplicity.

Which is why I said "among the reasons" and I do believe that they hate the freedoms (not just constitutional but cultural) we have as they are portrayed in our popular culture because it is in direct conflict with their interpretation of Islam.

Edited to add:

I didn't mean it as "Hannity" shorthand.

Edited by Geoff Gibson on 13 June 2008 at 11:59am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 13 June 2008 at 11:55am | IP Logged | 3  

As one among many reasons, I totally agree with you re: hating our freedoms as reasons for aggression, Geoff.
Back to Top profile | search

Geoff Gibson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2008 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 4  

Geoff I do owe you a big apology, you are not the typical closed minded republican.

Thank you . . . but do you see the insult inherent in that statement? I know you didn't mean it so I don't take offense but "typical closed minded" is insulting.  There are many closed minded people of all political stripes. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 13 June 2008 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 5  

There are a ton of "close minded" Democrats as well. I know more than a few "close minded" independents. Republicans don't own that one.  There's enough "close mindedness" for everyone!

Geoff Gibson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2008 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 6  

There's enough "close mindedness" for everyone!

Its the American waaaaaay . . .

(Just kidding, sort of).

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2008 at 12:04pm | IP Logged | 7  

It gets back to the "us vs them" mentality I mentioned a few pages back. It
enables us to throw away human rights in the name of national security. It
prevents us from moving forward as a country because we're so busy
fighting with the reds or the blues.

Al Cook
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2008 at 12:05pm | IP Logged | 8  

I can live with being seen as a curious guy with a self-deprecating sense of
humour who has the occasional insight.

It doesn't paint a wholly accurate picture of who I am and what I think and
feel, but it's a lot closer to the real me than much of what's been suggested
about me here recently.

Thanks for the pick-up then, Jodi. Much appreciated.

Edited by Al Cook on 13 June 2008 at 12:06pm

Geoff Gibson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2008 at 12:08pm | IP Logged | 9  

Thanks, Jodi.

I can live with being seen as a curious guy with a self-deprecating sense of humour who has the occasional insight. It doesn't paint a wholly accurate picture of who I am and what I think and feel, but it's a lot closer to the real me than much of what's been suggested about me here recently.

Thanks for the pick-up. Much appreciated.

Al:

You cooky cannuck cut up -- you know we all love ya!  I sent in my papers for the Al Cook Fan Club -- I'm just waiting for the secret decoder ring!

Scott Richards
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2008 at 12:09pm | IP Logged | 10  

you not wanting to elaborate on the definitions of Terrorists or combatant or defender speaks volumes.

I did elaborate to the extent I felt warranted.  Why is it that if it's not the answer you hoped for or you don't like or agree with an answer you resort to personal attacks?  Just curious.

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 13 June 2008 at 12:09pm | IP Logged | 11  

Geoff, Matt, you know I love you guys like brothers, but I'm afraid I have to disagree on that statement.

I think it's possible, like Geoff says, that one of many reasons the religious fanatics attacked us was that, yes, yes, our cultural differences bother them (just as they bother our own home-bread religious fanatics.  Michael Savage, anyone?) - but if we continue to present it in the words of the propagandists - "they hate our freedoms" - that bothers me.  

I know that you guys - Matt and Geoff - you're intellegent guys but a lot of people hear this sort of jingoistic talk "they hate our freedoms" and they think we're up against Dr Doom or Ming the Merciless or something.  It's a lot more complex than that, and it bothers me when the complexity of the situation is reduced to bad comic book/action movie dialogue.

Having said that, Geoff, of course I agree that I'm all for strong national security.  Everyone is.  In fact, in this case, the FBI and CIA were trying their hardest to do just that.  They should continue this work. 

This is a big point of mine - we're not fighting a nation - we're fighting individual criminals; so why are we using soldiers?  Why aren't we using the FBI, the CIA, etc?

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2008 at 12:10pm | IP Logged | 12  

Thank you . . . but do you see the insult inherent in that statement? I know you didn't mean it so I don't take offense but "typical closed minded" is insulting.  There are many closed minded people of all political stripes. 

I stand corrected, but the intent was nothing but love for you and Al

Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 1093 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version