Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 1093 Next >>
Topic: US Presidential Election (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2008 at 12:12pm | IP Logged | 1  

I stand corrected, but the intent was nothing but love for you and Al

Understood and appreciated -- thanks.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2008 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 2  

This is a big point of mine - we're not fighting a nation - we're fighting individual criminals; so why are we using soldiers?  Why aren't we using the FBI, the CIA, etc?

Because it doesn't make big companies a lot of money.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 13 June 2008 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 3  

I think we're saying the same thing, Mike.  I do believe it's one of many reasons, but saying it's so doesn't mean that I'm boiling it down to a single reason.  I understand it's complex and couldn't, for the life of me, boil it down to a bullet point list, but I do think hating/being envious of/thinking we're an affront to their religion is one of many reasons why we were attacked.  Possibly not the main reason, I would say definitely not, but one.
Back to Top profile | search

Al Cook
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2008 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 4  

Ooh - head's up then, Geoff: the secret decoder ring only works for
Canadian spellings.   Just remember:

RE instead of ER

and

OUR instead of OR.

Tom French
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2008 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 5  

So, how about the ol' "shoe on the other foot" mentality.  Let's say you were in a foreign land, maybe minding your own business, maybe not -- who knows? -- but suddenly you found yourself arrested, thrown into a jail with no access to a lawyer or your family or your consulate, even.  Let's say they were holding you as a political prisoner, accusing you of horrible crimes against the government or the people of a nation.  Let's say they moved you to a facility far away from the land you call home.  Now imagine that it's for years.

Innocent?  Guilty?  Who'd know?  You're not being given a chance to defend yourself against the charges levelled on you.  There's no trial -- there's talk of a "military tribunal" but no movement toward one -- and still you have no access to a lawyer.

And right at the moment of your despair, you hear some bozo say, "I'm glad they're being held there... in the interest of MY national security."

I weep for the country that treats people like that.

Scott Richards
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2008 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 6  

I know that you guys - Matt and Geoff - you're intellegent guys but a lot of people hear this sort of jingoistic talk "they hate our freedoms" and they think we're up against Dr Doom or Ming the Merciless or something.  It's a lot more complex than that, and it bothers me when the complexity of the situation is reduced to bad comic book/action movie dialogue.

Of course we aren't fighting Dr. Doom.  Saddam didn't have Doombots.  :P

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2008 at 12:17pm | IP Logged | 7  

There are many closed minded people of all political stripes

WHAT???? Wait democrats aren't perfect, news to me...... LOL

Back to Top profile | search | www

Al Cook
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2008 at 12:18pm | IP Logged | 8  

Can we just have it re-iterated for the record here that a challenge to an
idea is in no way an attack on a person who might have that idea.

Thanks.

(Edited to add:)

Maybe one of you folks who is more eloquent than I can reiterate that in
your own much better chosen words so that everyone in the thread can see
it.

Edited by Al Cook on 13 June 2008 at 12:22pm

Geoff Gibson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2008 at 12:18pm | IP Logged | 9  

I think it's possible, like Geoff says, that one of many reasons the religious fanatics attacked us was that, yes, yes, our cultural differences bother them (just as they bother our own home-bread religious fanatics.  Michael Savage, anyone?) - but if we continue to present it in the words of the propagandists - "they hate our freedoms" - that bothers me.  

I am very aware and completely agree that there is more at play than simple "they hate our freedoms" but I do think it is a real factor.  I think they see our pluralistic society as a threat to the insular world they want.  These are not dumb guys.  The masterminds are eductated and know of "western corruptions" and among those corputions are equality for woman and respect and tolerance for other religions.  So I do think its a factor. 

Now an admission -- I didn't articulate the other reasons because from a prosaic standpoint trading freedoms to protect us from those who hate our freedoms works better.  Doesn't change my point though.  And if you use my point (e.g. don't trade away freedoms) you can use it against Hannity and his lot.

Still think you are of questionable patriotism for your anti-Springsteen stance! :o)  

Scott Richards
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2008 at 12:19pm | IP Logged | 10  

This is a big point of mine - we're not fighting a nation - we're fighting individual criminals; so why are we using soldiers?  Why aren't we using the FBI, the CIA, etc?

Because it doesn't make big companies a lot of money.

More likely because we don't have a couple of hundred thousand extra CIA and FBI agents sitting around.  I'd be all for covert stealth teams going in and taking care of the problem.  We just have the numbers against us.

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 13 June 2008 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 11  

ha ha, Scott.

Matt - no, no, we're saying the same thing - I think I'm being fussy today - my particular gripe is that I don't like the phrase "they hate our freedoms".  I think it's bad propaganda.

I think that cultural differences fuel some of the hate for us, but in the same way that the same cultural differences are why psychopaths like Michael Savage suggested making a "list" of "enemies of America" (ie, US Supreme Court Judges) and "getting a gun" as he said on yesterday's show.

A religious nut is a religious nut no matter where they live.

Geoff Gibson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2008 at 12:21pm | IP Logged | 12  

Tom:

Did you read that NY Times article I posted a few pages back?

<< Prev Page of 1093 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version