Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 16 Next >>
Topic: Flash Question for JB (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2009 at 8:22am | IP Logged | 1  

People who don't want Wally to be "shoved aside" are the ones who say Barry Allen is boring.  I always felt he was one of the more stable people in comics.  Happily married, totally in love with his wife, no other "outside influence" affecting their love for one another (i.e. Namor with Sue & Reed).  Barry had his flaws, which made him very much the everyman type of character.

You take away his super speed, he was still just a good guy who fought for what was right.  His speed powers gave him the chance to do more good than he would normally do for the police department.

He was a great father figure for Wally.  Taking him under his wing and helping him to grow and use his powers wisely.  A lesser man wouldn't want to be bothered by a kid.

He always put others ahead of himself.  Always.  He always tried to be a good man.  Period.

If that's a boring character, I'll taking boring over edgy any day!

Back to Top profile | search

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2009 at 8:26am | IP Logged | 2  

The first stories I read with Barry were around 270 (the Killer Clown saga <g>) where there was an effort to inject excitement into the book with a more 'modern' approach. Cary Bates did a great job with cool cliff-hangers and an interesting 'decompressed' storyline involving Iris' murder (hmm, a precurser to today's approach, I suppose, or maybe nothing ever changes <g>).

As I said above, I never found Barry boring; I considered him a nice guy, extremely clever (it always impressed me how he came up with solutions to the death traps of a given rogue), and a true hero. I liked that he never lost his wits no matter how outlandish the predicament he found himself in.

I'm glad he's back <g>.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2009 at 8:55am | IP Logged | 3  

...nailed shut the coffin on DC's Silver Age.

Which DC is scrambling to resurrect in the Superman titles as we speak.

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2009 at 10:50am | IP Logged | 4  

"We've done all the stories that can be done with this character."

Dick Giordano, speaking to me circa CRISIS.

SER: The weird thing is that the Wally West FLASH could have been done with Barry. You basically have him exit CRISIS significantly slower than he was before (running at the speed of sound), so the legend he has to measure up against is his own! You also have him dealing with his identity now being public and with his financial issues, post the trial.

But as JB said, it's not fair to call Barry "boring," when he never got the makeover that Batman, Wonder Woman, and Superman received.

It's a shame that he's coming back *now* though, after Bruce Timm with JLU gave us a truly likeable Wally West and demonstrated that a young, "heart of the Justice League" hero could work. I'm still waiting for *any* Flash to have a moment like Flash had in "Divided We Fall."

Back to Top profile | search | www

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2009 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 5  

I haven't picked up any of the Barry Allen resurrection issues yet, but I definitely will.  While I continued to buy isolated DC comics by creators I liked after Crisis, Barry's death was the beginning of the end of my interest in DC.  I agree with Stephen that the Wally West character which emerged could easily have been a somewhat "de-powered" Barry post-Crisis... and I would have absolutely gone along with it.  The fact that TPTW apparently felt a cynical need to kill someone off for some "edge" and offered up The Flash on that platter left a very bad taste in my mouth.  For me, The Flash's birth in Showcase 4 ushered in The Silver Age so his death in Crisis served as the end.  I hope they don't screw up his rebirth. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2009 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 6  

Chad: Should it matter if Wally is "better" as a character? How about this...Barry Allen was written by men from the 1950s. Wally is written by men from the 1980s. Why can't men from the 1980s write Barry Allen and make him just as interesting to 1980s readers?

------------

True! And let's not forget: Wally was originally written by men from the 1950's too!

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2009 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 7  

Enjoy Barry as The Flash. Love JB's thoughts on The Flash. Interested in what DC's plans are for the return of Barry. Hope they don't mess it up. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Scott Hileman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2009 at 12:38pm | IP Logged | 8  

I am glad that Barry's back. Like many have said here, I agree with. When I was younger, I thought of Barry as boring too, compared to O'Neil/Adams' GL/GA or Batman, etc. But after the Crisis, with such things as Man of Steel, Batman Year One, Emerald Dawn, Hawkworld, etc. TPTB never gave Barry his "Crimson Dawn" showing a Barry for the 1980s. I find it ironic that my interest in Barry actually grew with Wally and the Rogues reminiscing of  Barry. Made me want to take another look at Barry if everybody was missing him.

Of course, I think the real reason that Barry's back is he suddenly has the coolest job ever thanks to various versions of CSI, Cold Case, NCIS, etc. etc.  I remember how when the Flash tv show was coming out that the creators of the show thought Barry's job was boring and wasn't there a way to make it more interesting?

I am more interested to see what is in store for Barry, and how he will relate to this world. In one story, it was mentioned his parents were dead. Which is a bummer if still true because Barry was one of the few heroes whose parents were still around. How will he related to Iris? In the last few years, she has been shown to be older of grandmotherly age. Will she and Barry still relate? What about all those guys at the Central City police dept? I am keeping my fingers crossed that Julio, Murph and Bellows, etc. might make DC debuts.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 April 2009 at 12:44pm | IP Logged | 9  

That page brings back memories! The first issue of THE FLASH I bought was
the one that introduced Kid Flash. Perhaps this is why I have always been so
sensitive to DC's habit of de-uniquing their characters!

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2009 at 12:54pm | IP Logged | 10  

JB: That page brings back memories! The first issue of THE FLASH I bought was
the one that introduced Kid Flash. Perhaps this is why I have always been so
sensitive to DC's habit of de-uniquing their characters!

----------

Doesn't help that Barry & Wally originally wore the same uniform!

I really liked the redesign...

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2009 at 1:27pm | IP Logged | 11  

IMO, that Kid Flash uniform is one of the all-time best designs.

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2009 at 1:41pm | IP Logged | 12  

Kevin: IMO, that Kid Flash uniform is one of the all-time best designs.

-------

I agree! Wally has always been one of my favorite DC characters.

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version