Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: John Ostrander Benefit Auction! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2009 at 11:36pm | IP Logged | 1  

We need a public health care system for everyone. Though unfortunate, at least Mr. Ostrander has a large professional and fan community to help him. Same cannot be said for the millions of nameless, anonymous, helpless people. 

No, he has some great friends who used their networking skills to get this going.

I was at the auction tonight not because John Ostrander is a "famous comic book writer", but because he's a friend in need.  I donated a piece out of my personal collection to help him.  I was VERY happy to see it go for $450, which was far more than I paid for it 24 years ago.

I would have done the same thing for anyone I consider a friend.  Period.  In this particular case, the person just happens to be somewhat famous.

Back to Top profile | search

Simon Bowland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2009 at 4:54am | IP Logged | 2  

All this nonsense is just completely unnecessary. Only thing that's important is that John O is a legend and he needs some help, and it's pretty amazing what Gail has been doing for him.

Ted, go and look up the word "shit-stirring" while you're playing on the internet - see if there's not a picture of you next to it.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2009 at 5:31am | IP Logged | 3  

If the "only that that's important" is that Mr. Ostrander needs help, then why go after Ted? You're a stirrer yourself, Simon. 

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2009 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 4  

You know, it's a shame that something that has pulled people together to help someone who needs it has turned into a bitch-fest for some.  Why the incessent need to drag something that's good down?

Paul W. Sondersted, Jr.
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2009 at 11:05am | IP Logged | 5  

Here's an idea...

Gail Lynn Simone
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2009 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 6  

Kevin, I cannot thank you enough for your incredibly generous donation.  Your piece must have gone directly to the website or to the booth, because I'm not sure which piece it was, but that's a fantastic contribution and you are to be commended mightily.

I still don't have final numbers but it appears that between the auction, paypal and donations at the booth we have raised around 30 thousand dollars, and we still have lots of art that we will be auctioning off online, and donations are still coming in. Ihad a response in mind that we were hoping for but we are going to go past that.

Thank you everyone for donating to this very good cause for a very great writer.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2009 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 7  

Gail, I dropped off my piece Saturday at the booth.  I doubt if anyone here would remember it, but it was a drawing that Mike Grell did for Comics Buyers Guide to announce the Batman/Jon Sable cross-over.  Unfortunately the cross-over never happened, but that artwork was gorgeous.  Jim McLauchlin was the one who won it.  I may email him and request a scan of the drawing....

Gail Lynn Simone
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2009 at 11:50am | IP Logged | 8  

Jim McLauchlin is one of my heroes. This stuff is a little exhausting (but totally worth it) and he is non-stop in this benefit mode. Whenever anyone needs help in comics, he always seems to be the first one to jump right in. A truly great guy.

And yeah, I wasn't at the event but at the live podcast you could hear the crowd go OOOOOOOOOHHHH when that piece came up.

Again, cannot thank you enough. You're one of my heroes now, too!

Paul W. Sondersted, Jr.
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2009 at 12:11pm | IP Logged | 9  

$30,000? That's great!

I realize that medical bills in this country are truly outrageous, but are you anywhere near the goal?

Eric White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2009 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 10  

I doubt if anyone here would remember it, but it was a drawing that Mike Grell did for Comics Buyers Guide to announce the Batman/Jon Sable cross-over.

+++++

I do remember that piece!! I hope you can get a scan and post it here.

Arc Carlton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2009 at 3:35pm | IP Logged | 11  

I do remember that piece!! I hope you can get a scan and post it here.

That would be nice.

William McCormick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2009 at 4:04pm | IP Logged | 12  

If the "only that that's important" is that Mr. Ostrander needs help, then why go after Ted? You're a stirrer yourself, Simon. 

Why go after Ted? You're kidding me right? His post was moronic to say the least. Why not just say "Thanks for the heads up Gail. Great cause." Instead he goes off on some stupid rant about how she painted JB into a corner. Which she did nothing of the sort. She simply brought attention to a creator who needed help and then proceeds to get treated like an asshole for doing so.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version