Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 59 Next >>
Topic: When I Wore a Younger Man’s Clothes - 05.24.10 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2010 at 10:20am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

You more than made up for it in XMHY, JB.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 May 2010 at 10:25am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

There were elements of HIDDEN YEARS over which I had no control, too. Mostly editorial "fixes" when it was assumed the people in the office knew the X-Men's history better than I did. (They didn't!)

This got us such things as the big X-MEN logo/emblem Dave had put on the vertical stabilizers of the strato-jet blacked out every time I drew it because "That's not something the X-Men would have." Also go the white strato-jet colored dark blue every time after the first appearance, as they tried to turn it into the Blackbird. And don't even get me started on redirected pointers on balloons! Magneto being give Sauron's dialog, even tho doing so makes not sense, for instance, because it happens to mention being a former associate of Xavier's.

All without CHECKING with me, of course!

sigh.

Fabrice Renault
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2010 at 10:50am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

(finally found my jaw)

Nathan Grrrreeennnoooooooo ! I hate you !

Ohmydogisalabrador ! That is a big part of my childhood ! Incredible ! Magnificient.

So sad to think that you're not part of what made Marvel the real House of Ideas anymore.

Excuse-me, I seem to have something in my eyes.

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2010 at 10:51am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Parts of the description of Caliban above remind me a bit of the poor, deformed mutant child that the Thing encountered in Thing #3 (or perhaps Thing #4). I remember getting that issue in a bag of 3 at the toy store and being very moved by it.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2010 at 10:52am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

This is a little off-topic, but since the subject of HIDDEN YEARS just came up...I recently read it for the first time. Great stuff, lot of fun, good to see a real X-Men series again, with Cyclops actually acting like he's supposed to!

You know what drove me nuts in that run? The letters pages! Almost every issue seemed to have somebody complaining that you forgot that the stories were supposed to take place in the late 60s or early 70s. They just don't get it!

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jason Fliegel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2010 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

After my X-Days, then. Not that it matters, since I haven't read anything to do with the Legion since, oh, 1958!

There was a great issue of Superman in the mid-80s where Superman encounters four Legionnaires (Brainiac 5, Sun Boy, Blok, and Invisible Kid).  You should check it out some time -- I think you'd enjoy it.  I wonder what ever happened to the guy who did that comic?

Kidding aside, Quislet first appeared in the September 1985 issue of Legion of Superheroes, long after you came up with the concept for Caliban.  Like Caliban, Quislet can animate inanimate objects, and like Caliban, Quislet rides around inside a shell (in Quislet's case, he's an energy being from another dimension who rides in a "ship" about the size of a football).

Quislet was created by Paul Levitz and Steve Lightle, and I can't imagine either of them had any access to your notes for Marvel so it's almost certainly a coincidence.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 May 2010 at 11:30am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I found complaints about the "time period errors" in XHY most illuminating. A fascinating window into a segment of fan thinking. For instance, many heads exploded when I had Bobby wearing a baseball cap backwards in the sneak preview in X-MEN 94, yet there was not a whisper when I had Xavier riding around in a Hummer.

This seemed closely related to the mentality that insisted I could not "reveal" anything that was not already established. Having Jean meet Ororo in Africa seemed particularly painful to some, even tho no one could show any absolute proof that it could not have happened.

It's a not uncommon problem, even in the real world, when the job of self-appointed "experts" becomes less about real knowledge, and more about protecting what THEY know!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 May 2010 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Forgetting what Caliban's powers were to be is a pretty classic example of my "drag to the trash" approach. Caliben didn't happen -- at least, not in that form -- so I "dumped" the concept.

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2010 at 1:27pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

A mini-series featuring "Ariel and Caliban" would´ve been more interesting than "Wolverine and Kitty (Shadowcat) Pryde" was, that´s for sure.

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2010 at 4:06pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Oh, look at them. My good old friends, the X-Men!

I missed them.

Shame on me, I didn't recognize the shorty alien character.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2010 at 7:33pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

JB: I was sorry we didn't find a way to use the Vanisher. Seriously! As a kid I found him so CREEPY!

-----------

Maybe it was because of that wild costume!

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2010 at 7:35pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Francesco: Shame on me, I didn't recognize the shorty alien character.

---------------

<< Prev Page of 59 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version