Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 20 Next >>
Topic: Jim Shooter: The Origin of the Dark Phoenix Saga Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2011 at 6:12pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

This is an interesting Bad-Byrne story that reveals a lot about Jim Shooter.

According to his gospel, JB is either a curmudgeonly Croesus or committed perjury.
Back to Top profile | search

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2011 at 6:15pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Why was he bringing up how much JB allegedly made at Marvel?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 June 2011 at 6:17pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

According to his gospel, JB is either a curmudgeonly Croesus or committed perjury.

••

The reference would be to the Wolfman lawsuit, in 1999, since that was the only time Shooter and I were ever in a courtroom at the same time. Shooter is perhaps forgetting that "The Comics Journal" printed the transcript of that trial, so it is easy enough to check what was actually said.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 June 2011 at 6:19pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Why was he bringing up how much JB allegedly made at Marvel?

••

Shooter likes to promote the myth that it was he, and he alone who brought in royalties -- or "incentives" as they were called at Marvel -- to the comicbook industry. This overlooks two important details: the royalties arrived first at DC, and Mike Hobson, as Shooter's BOSS, was the one who signed off on the policy at Marvel.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2011 at 6:20pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I thought the figure Shooter cited sounded like a LOT of money, especially for that time frame. It didn't seem to be a believable sum to me, even before the information JB has provided for us to calculate.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2011 at 6:21pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Nathan Greno: "...at least "too cute" for me. "Bamf doll"? Nightcrawler has a hot, flight attendant girlfriend? Feels like the concept of the book is lost imho."

I dunno, I think one of the things that made the book popular was the playing against type.  The strongman being an artist, the "demon" who would rather play at being Errol Flynn than focus on his appearance, etc. 

It does make me wonder how the book did in the alternate reality where Len Wein never left.  From Giant-Size #1, I suspect he would have gone for a less offbeat approach.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 June 2011 at 6:24pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

It does make me wonder how the book did in the alternate reality where Len Wein never left. From Giant-Size #1, I suspect he would have gone for a less offbeat approach.

••

Never read SWAMP THING?

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2011 at 6:30pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

More quotes from Shooter:

Jim Shooter wrote:

...The good thing about anarchy, or freedom, if you wish, is that a few, brilliant creators will rise to the opportunity and do wonderful things.  Them, I LEFT ALONE.  I wasn’t editing to make things my way, or to stifle anyone, or to interfere in any way with talented people doing outstanding work.  Lord knows, when I read a script that didn’t need a mark put on it, I was thrilled.  More sleep that night.

I can’t think of a single time when I asked for changes because of style, personal preferences or artistic philosophy. 

I worried only about mistakes, problems, crass stupidities, etc.

Please get that straight.  This wasn’t about me oppressing the best and brightest creators.  It was about me wanting incomprehensible art, writing devoid of discoverable meaning, story glitches, continuity mistakes, character misrepresentations, spelling errors and slovenly work fixed...

...Like many hated me.  The anarchy-ender is never popular with the anarchists.  And the outstanding creators who did brilliant things never really noticed that I did nothing except stay out of their way.

Whatever. 

To me, the comics were the important things.  Damn the torpedoes...

I would say that JB and Chris Claremont were definitely among Marvel's "outstanding creators," and yet we all know that Shooter did not stay out of their way.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 June 2011 at 6:33pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I would say that JB and Chris Claremont were definitely among Marvel's "outstanding creators," and yet we all know that Shooter did not stay out of their way.

••

In reality, the more popular a title became, the more interference that could be expected from Shooter. DAREDEVIL is a prime example, under Frank Miller's tenure.

Jonathan Stover
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2011 at 7:13pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The Kulan Gath two-parter by Claremont and JRJR is a weird one in part because unless Marvel reacquires the rights to Red Sonja, the Spider-man/Red Sonja team-up Kulan Gath first appeared in can't be reprinted. It's in Comic Book Limbo with the Doc Savage/Spider-man and Doc Savage/Thing team-ups...and The Shadow meeting a young Bruce Wayne, for that matter.

I think Heidi McDonald nailed the problems of later 1980's Claremont in a Comics Journal article at the time which pointed out how increasingly often characters were getting maimed and killed and then reset-buttoned back to normal. The Kulan Gath story is pretty much a perfect example of this, as Claremont even gets to come up with grotesque hybrids like the Xavier/Caliban thing, all while also crucifying Spider-man in, um, excruciating detail. Whee! And then it never happened. Until it happened again.

Cheers, Jon

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2011 at 7:15pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

QUOTE:
It does make me wonder how the book did in the alternate reality where Len Wein never left.  From Giant-Size #1,.

I'd rather read the issues from the Earth where Roy Thomas and Neal Adams stayed on the book until JB took over the writing and art in 1975.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 June 2011 at 7:48pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I'd rather read the issues from the Earth where Roy Thomas and Neal Adams stayed on the book until JB took over the writing and art in 1975.

••

Oh, sure! Following Dave Cockrum wasn't enough pressure! You want me to actually have a stroke!!!

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version