Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: 25 Years Ago: West Coast Avengers (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2013 at 5:20am | IP Logged | 1  

I thought the title went down hill during the Englehart / Milgrom run after the "Lost in Space and Time" and "Zodiac" sagas.

You're right, Greg. I also didn't care for Milgrom's art when Joe Sinnott wasn't inking him . Moon Knight as a member never really made sense to me either. Even though I liked the first 20 or so issues, I think that if Roger Stern and Bob Hall would have continued with the title after the limited series, we would have gotten a better book.

Back to Top profile | search

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2013 at 5:47am | IP Logged | 2  

I think the WCA would have worked best as Roger originally intended: Having them as regulars in the Avengers! He didn't envision the team as a separate book, just a way to have more Avengers!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Steve Jamrozik
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2013 at 7:36am | IP Logged | 3  

A large cast of characters with plenty of surprises. I enjoyed getting a
new issue each month.
Also the ad I posted last year on this page
http://m.byrnerobotics.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?
TID=41765&KW=Avengers&PN=0&TPN=3
lists the first issue debuting in November.

Samuel P. Barden
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2013 at 10:15am | IP Logged | 4  

The last issue of the Super Count Nefaria storyline had a Vision who was very cold, robotic and cynical of humans.  Vision also has this moment with the Scarlet Witch which never amounted to anything.

When JB started his Vision Quest storyline, I was all for it and thought we would get the Vision from the Super Count Nefaria storyline.  We didn't get THAT Vision, but we got a Vision with a lot of personality I wasn't expecting. 

It was a great run cut too short.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Stephens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2013 at 6:15pm | IP Logged | 5  

I too, really liked JB's run on WCA.  I've never been a huge Avengers fan but I started getting the title just because John was doing it.  Great art, neat characters and an interesting story.  Great stuff.  

I remember being totally confused by his departure from the comic and it was a great mystery until getting some of the story on this forum.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2013 at 7:15pm | IP Logged | 6  

I was another one who was enjoying JB's work on Avengers West Coast and was totally taken by surprise when he was no longer on the book.

It wasn't much longer before I went on hiatus as a weekly comic book buyer, 

Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2013 at 7:26pm | IP Logged | 7  

I was incredibly excited when JB came back to Marvel and was drawing characters from the Avengers. Hawkeye in that whirlygig in the first issue was soooo exciting to see.

Just loved collecting this title every month -- and simply could not believe it when suddenly he was not telling the stories any more. I don't remember there being any explanation in the comic. Just a switch of the creative team and everything I'd been following lo those many months was thrown out the window. I bought one issue after JB left, then checked the title for a few months in the LCS to see if the big man had returned and then just kind of wept inside quietly.

Edited by Peter Martin on 06 October 2013 at 7:27pm

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2013 at 3:02am | IP Logged | 8  

25-ish years!?

I recall seeing the photocopies of the pencils for the first issue of WCA when JB was in the UK, I think that was '88.

He also had an issue of the She-Hulk in pencil with him too.

I can't recall specifically but my memory tells me that there was two issues of one and one of the other in photocopied form.

Sigh...such a great weekend that one. So long ago. I think I was on a high for a month or so after that.

The upside down Hawkeye on the whirlygig blew my mind when I saw it.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 October 2013 at 3:36am | IP Logged | 9  

The upside down Hawkeye on the whirlygig blew my mind when I saw it.

••

That shot marks my official "return to Marvel" -- and an awareness in my own mind of the kind of "DC Think" that had crept in without my knowledge.

Originally, I drew that scene with Clint standing on the ground in a traditional archery pose. Then, as I set about laying out the next page something said "Hey! This is MARVEL!" And thus was born the whirligig moment!

Steven McCauley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2013 at 4:39am | IP Logged | 10  

I had worked out how to restore the Vision to his green and red days and personality.  The Vision was connected to ISAAC on Titan which caused him to try to take over the world in The Avengers.  SHIELD and the other intelligence agencies introduced a worm to wipe out all of Vision's backup copies in the terrestrial databases.  At some point it could have been discovered that ISAAC had stored a copy of the Vision's personality engrams back when they interfaced and then re-uploaded them into the Vision.  Then the personality is back but the Vision is reset back to before the interface with ISAAC as far as knowledge goes.

I really wish this run had been brought to the conclusion that JB had written.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 October 2013 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 11  

At some point it could have been discovered that ISAAC had stored a copy of the Vision's personality engrams...

•••

Exactly.

One of the things that "amused" me during that time back at Marvel was the number of people freaking out that I didn't know Marvel "history" -- did they think my DC time had erased my memory? -- and that I had "ruined" the Vision "forever". No one -- no one! -- wrote in guessing what I was afraid might be an all-to-obvious fix, aka ISAAC.

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2013 at 8:20am | IP Logged | 12  

If you had stayed on the book, how long were you planning to keep the Vision in the white costume?

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version