Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: 25 Years Ago: West Coast Avengers (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 October 2013 at 9:18am | IP Logged | 1  

USAgent was essentially forced upon me, as was Quasar in the East Coast book. They were Mark Gruenwald's characters, and he was second in command at Marvel back then, so he used that position to push his product.

USAgent, at least, I thought I could actually get some use out of. Quasar was a waste of paper.

Back to Top profile | search

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2013 at 5:04pm | IP Logged | 2  

Did you get much use out of USAgent? I remember him busting Hawkeye's chops a bit, and the "telephone" conversation Hank and the Wasp overheard, but not much else... it's been about 25 years! He was assigned by government edict, wasn't he? Editorial comment?

You had a lot of balls up in the air; I don't remember what happened with Tigra after that one time Hank caught her, either. You had quite a lot of characters, were there any you wanted and couldn't get? Either while on the West Coast, or with both?

Quasar spoke to me. He seemed to have a bit of fear of failure that made him somewhat hesitant to try. Of course to keep that, he would have had to have having about as many failures as successes, which happened about so in his own book, but which would have been devastating to him among the Avengers.

I had a bad feeling reading his machinations to get STAR MASTERS published, this makes me even sadder.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2013 at 7:48pm | IP Logged | 3  

JB, I was looking forward to whatever you were planning with USAgent and Tigra... It was a real shame you left the book before your storylines could play out.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2013 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 4  

Hawkeye in training in JB's first issue back at Marvel!

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Frank Blyberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2013 at 8:35am | IP Logged | 5  

I used to resent this storyline because of the way it was later used as justification to wipe out Scarlet Witch as a character in Avengers Disassembled, plus the breakup of Wanda and the Vision. Returning to it now, and knowing more about where these characters had been, I like it much better. From being two of Marvel's best characters in the '70s, Vision and Scarlet Witch had become rather dull characters in the '80s, transformed into a standard sitcom couple with no real problems. This was an attempt to shake them up and give them back some of the mystery they used to have, plus putting Wanda at the center of a major book without being tied to Vision.

I also liked that Quicksilver was being set up as a heroic guy trying to rescue his sister from Magneto, because Quicksilver had been treated very badly by Englehart (who considered him a crazy jerk and not a real hero).

The white Vision also made explicit the parallels between Vision and the Scarlet Witch and Casper the Friendly Ghost and Wendy the Good Little Witch, as JB himself pointed out:

Edited by Frank Blyberg on 09 October 2013 at 8:42am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 October 2013 at 8:37am | IP Logged | 6  

I used to resent this storyline because of the way it was used as justification to wipe out Scarlet Witch as a character in Avengers Disassembled...

••

That's. . .   weird.

Frank Blyberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2013 at 8:41am | IP Logged | 7  

As I said, the resentment was unfair.

Conner Dinkins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2013 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 8  

I remember liking this book more than the regular Avengers title at the time. I liked the Scarlet Witch evil design alot in particular, her classic suit was great but the evil one was one I had hoped would endure when she became good again. The white Vision also, and the addition of the Original Human Torch, my kids love that issue where the Vision goes into the grave. Great series!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 October 2013 at 3:08pm | IP Logged | 9  

I liked the Scarlet Witch evil design alot in particular, her classic suit was great but the evil one was one I had hoped would endure when she became good again.

•••

Not my plan -- which is the reason that outfit being a cause in my leaving the book (one of several) is so annoying. They say we should never attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence, but how else can we make sense of the EiC insisting I had "broken the rules" by changing Wanda's costume "without getting permission"? The Editor knew it was a temporary change, and he'd approved it.

With l the bullcrap that got piled on that book from on high, there was really no way I could avoid the conclusion that SOMEBODY wanted me gone!

Conner Dinkins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2013 at 4:25pm | IP Logged | 10  

Well it was still a great design, maybe another character could wear a version of it someday.

Steven McCauley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2013 at 5:04pm | IP Logged | 11  

Makes NO sense -- did you get the same level of crap when Sue became Malice in the Fantastic Four?  I would hope not!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2013 at 5:10pm | IP Logged | 12  

With the bullcrap that got piled on that book from on high, there was really no way I could avoid the conclusion that SOMEBODY wanted me gone!
------------------------------
I've heard (well, read...) you talk about this before, JB, and it never made a lick of sense to me. I mean, WCA...not even the main Avengers book...would seem like the kind of book that's in its own little corner where they'd give a creator fairly free rein. It was far, far from the flagship of Marvel's line at the time. I guess some people just can't help but micromanage?

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version