Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Misremembering She-Hulk Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2021 at 4:36pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

In that internal monologue in AVENGERS, she compared her suffering with her cousin's, saying that he never had to worry about photographers trying to get a picture of her ass. This is the same cousin who regularly wakes up homeless and has an entire army group dedicated to hunting him down.

OK I forgot that part.
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2021 at 6:48am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

JB: Raquel Welch was performing live in Vegas, and one night the shoulder straps broke on her gown, exposing her breasts. As she herself described the incident, she did not scramble to cover up, but thought "What the hell! Let 'em look!"

I seem to recall she was a presenter at the Academy Awards one year. She supposedly said, "I'm here to present the award for Visual Effects... and I have two of them."

Much like Dolly Parton, she's been able to make jokes at her own expense about her famous assets.

As for She-Hulk, I don't care for where Jason Aaron took the character. She IS intelligent in her Hulk form but can't speak beyond Hulk-pidgin, she stores up gamma energy that she supposedly releases explosively (shades of the "solar flare" they gave Superman some years ago and then wisely took away), and she had a fling with Thor.

In all, not a great stretch in her personal story. I hope the Disney+ series adapts JB's approach (which I think they will).

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 March 2021 at 7:59am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I’m not in the credits on IMBd. Not even as a “thank you”.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2021 at 8:35am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

IMDb data is user submitted by fans and industry folk. It's eventually verified against on-screen credits and other official sources, but for something that hasn't filmed yet, the page is basically just what's been garnered from press releases and people submitting their own credits and that of their colleagues.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 March 2021 at 8:45am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I’m fully aware of how IMDb works, thank you.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2021 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

JB: I’m not in the credits on IMBd. Not even as a “thank you”.

I'm not happy to hear this.

Mike Benson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2021 at 12:58pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Hands down, the announced show I've most been looking forward to, partially because it seems the Byrne era is the clear choice for adaptation.  Go with anything else and I'd likely be out pretty quickly.  Go with that ridiculous Jen Smash version and I'd be out before the first episode aired.  

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 March 2021 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Since Mark Ruffalo will be appearing as Banner/Hulk, I’m guessing She-Hulk will be CGI—which makes me expect a bulkier version.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 May 2022 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Trailer has dropped. I’m not appalled, but not thrilled either.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2022 at 12:58pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

About She-Hulk in the actual comics, they brought her back to the John Byrne version a few months back - LINK . While the physique is still bulkier than JB's, the spit curl (which hasn't really been drawn in years) and big hair is a dead giveaway that that was the version that the artist was going for.

(and regarding her 'revealing' re-introduction, I had assumed that it was JB that established that She-Hulk doesn't really have a problem with nudity, but a while back I read a Stern issue of AVENGERS where she hurriedly got out of a tub in front of Jarvis, and while he was characteristally flustered, she wasn't phased by it.)

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2022 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I have a few issues of the original She-Hulk written by David Anthony Kraft. He stated his intent was to make Jen as different from Bruce as possible. And he did some wacky stuff. While DAK is not a "top ten" Marvel writer, his writing was better than much of what is being put out nowadays.

Of course, Stern could make any characters interesting! But I see he and JB's takes as a continuation of the original. Unlike the recent stuff. And I can't comment on the other runs in the middle because I haven't read them.
Back to Top profile | search | www

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2022 at 5:23pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

"I took a lot of my characterization for Jen from an article I'd read decades before. Racquel Welch was performing ..."

I always thought that classic illustration of She-Hulk (always hated that name) referenced on the number one issue wearing the white ripped tunic by John Buscema was based on Raquel Welch ...

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version