Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 53 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN 22 --Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2021 at 6:27am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

In X-MEN #43, Prof. X says: 

"Therefore, I have been attempting to complete the final stages of your training... so that you may carry on... when I am gone. Moreover, so that my mental powers may not be entirely lost to you, I have been secretly preparing Jean Grey. By now she should have added telepathy to her mind-over-matter abilities."

That's his entire explanation. I suppose the sense is indeed that she had some nascent telepathic ability that is somehow connected to her other "mind" power. He could not otherwise have been "preparing" her to exercise telepathy, which could have been the final stage of her training. Not a great deal of internally consistent logic there.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 May 2021 at 6:32am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

There’s a definite sense of the death of Xavier being less than well thought out.

Remember, too, that when the Changeling was brought in as a fix, it involved him suddenly manifesting abilities he’d shown no proclivities for before.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2021 at 6:38am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

About the "death" of Professor X, Roy Thomas has said this:

"Our original intention was that he would remain dead. I don't think we intended to bring him back. I have this feeling that killing Xavier was Stan's idea. Or, at the very least, something he was enthusiastic about. It certainly wasn't done without his knowledge. Neal Adams [the artist of X-Men when Professor X returns] and I have a little disagreement about the return of Xavier. I've always felt that I had the idea about the Changeling impersonating Professor X as a way to bring back Xavier if we ever wanted to do that, and that I even mentioned it to Neal and a few other people. Neal feels that he came up with the idea. At this stage, it doesn't make much difference. I just know that we weren't definitely planning on bringing Xavier back when we killed him. We were just playing it by ear."

[from Tom DeFalco's Comics Creators on X-Men (2006)]

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2021 at 6:46am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Re: today's page.
Uh-oh.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2021 at 6:48am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Regarding what Tom DeFalco says above, I can only say this.

I met Arnold Drake at a friend's house and we got to talking about his comic book creations. Having mentioned that I'd interviewed Neal Adams for COMICS SCENE, he smiled and said, "Neal thinks he created Deadman, doesn't he?"

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 May 2021 at 7:11am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

"Neal thinks he created Deadman, doesn't he?"

••

Having started with the second appearance of the character, in STRANGE ADVENTURES, I can't imagine why he would.

Jonathan Kaye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2021 at 7:13am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

This reminds me of the story that someone who worked on The Incredibles movie said it was not influenced by the Fantastic Four, though it included a character with both invisibility andforce field powers.

••

FF: Big, strong character; character who stretches; character who turns invisible and projects force fields; two characters married; two characters siblings (boy and girl); primary color uniforms with emblem on chest, black gloves and boots; team takes its name from the leader who is "Mister".

Incredibles: Big, strong character; character who stretches; character who turns invisible and projects force fields; two characters married; two characters siblings (boy and girl); primary color uniforms with emblem on chest, black gloves and boots; team takes its name from the leader who is "Mister".

And Jack-Jack is an obvious riff on Franklin!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 May 2021 at 7:18am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

And Jack-Jack is an obvious riff on Franklin!

••

That's a bit of a stretch. Superheroes having babies, and those babies themselves having powers, is not something unique to the FF--altho he does briefly burst into flame!

Jonathan Kaye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2021 at 8:20am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

That's a bit of a stretch. Superheroes having babies, and those babies themselves having powers, is not something unique to the FF--altho he does briefly burst into flame!

The parallel I see is not powers per se, but the fact that they make him potentially the most powerful/dangerous member of the team.  (What we see in the animated short "Jack-Jack Attack" was part of the original concept -- it was an idea considered for, but eventually cut from, the first movie.)

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2021 at 8:51am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

On the subject of The Incredibles, they also had a villain who came from underground (The underminer?), who seemed a lot like a riff on Mole Man.

About today's page: I particularly like how Carla's face was drawn in the second panel. Very curious,  what's going on with Pablo.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 May 2021 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Lest you all look for more than is to be found, what’s happening with Pablo is no more than what you’re seeing: unguessable power in the control of an undisciplined mind. Remember what was going on when I introduced you to him!!

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2021 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

*Way back in issue #4 true believers! Pablo had created the rock monster to fight the Sentinels hunting him and then brought the car to life to fight Colossus. ~Ed. er, Jim

<< Prev Page of 53 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version