Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: HIDDEN YEARS “Review” Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2022 at 10:12pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
Holy merde! That’s one ugly cover. A triumph of technology over talent!

Neal Adams was greatly displeased by what happened there.  Here's his account (from Comic Book Artist #3, which printed his original version of the cover):

"One of the reasons I offered you guys use of the cover, was that Marvel vignetted these characters, not even using Xavier's face and cutting out the rest." It seems some freelance art director had different thoughts about Neal's submitted piece. Neal was “terribly upset” with the published cover. "There's no worse color for comic books than eggshell blue (the most prominent color on the cover).  Look at the reproduction inside. The way this thing happened was they called me and said, 'We're going to reprint this stuff.' And I said, ‘I'd kinda like to have the black-&-whites to retouch them, we're in the ’90s now. Can I rework the pages just a little bit?' They said, 'We've already started work on it.' I said, 'Okay. How about I art direct the color?' They said,‘ 'Sure, we'll send you over some of these proofs.' I know what that means, so I said, 'Okay, I'll do the cover.' So I did it and they vignetted it, and the rest just disappeared! How much can one sabotage by good intentions?" Holding up the CBA #3 cover proof and the X-Men collection, Neal said, "I submitted this and I got that. How would that make you feel?"

The original piece was a wraparound.  Below is how it was supposed to appear, first in Comic Book Artist and then in a later reprinting of the visionaries volume.  I was not able to find a very good scan of the original wraparound but this gives you the idea...

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 23 May 2022 at 10:33pm
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2022 at 4:00am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I remember reading that 'Comic Book Artist" interview, and I recall that trade paperback collection from when I ordered it for my shop back when it came out. As I recall, the interiors were recolored in that particularly garish 1990s style of computer coloring. Yeah, computer coloring can still be overbearing, but man, the earliest computer coloring days in comics by so-called professionals looked every bit as ugly as some of the fan-colored pieces done by computer online these days.

As far as letting Neal retouch the interior art, I'm kind of glad that didn't happen. DC let him retouch the classic "Green Lantern" stories from the 1970s in a trade paperback in the 1990s, and it just smacks too much of the thing George Lucas did with the special editions.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2022 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Didn’t he retouch all his Batman stuff that was collected in the three volume
collections?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 May 2022 at 4:35pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

At the risk of being accused of “speaking ill of the dead”, I will say that in the Eighties Neal began to drift away from the clean, economically line that had so appealed to me. And after he crossed paths with Todd McFarlane he swung deep into what I called his “Image style”. Basically, too many lines. And that was what he brought to those “retouched” issues.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2022 at 4:57pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

When they do these facsimile issues now it's the Thomas, Adams & Palmer X-Men run I dream of alongside '50s Atlas Bill Everett Sub-Mariner. From trying to get all the original '60s issues, to all manner of reprints from the '70s to early '80s (including a hardcover UK 'annual') I never have managed to get the whole bunch except as digital editions. :^(

Once in awhile I'll settle for a 'TPB', such as for X-Men #141 & 142, Kirby Green Arrows, or the Joe Kubert '60s Hawkmans, but I still prefer something close to the original comic book format, at least the same height and width if not depth. I've had many of those '80s Classic reprint comics of Neal Adams, X-Men, Kree-Skrull War, Deadman, Green Lantern/Green Arrow, but they have that modern Steve Oliffe coloring that while not bad also come off rather dark on the paper they used sometimes, and sometimes there are even edits (X-Men).
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2022 at 9:21pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I didn't care for Neal's retouching of his Batman/Green Lantern work.  It was so perfect the first time around.  And, yes I definitely see how his style changed i.e. too many lines.  I am not a fan of that either.  

Remember those great Tarzan covers he painted?  Or the few Savage Tales covers he did?  Real beauties. 

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2022 at 9:49pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Comparing newer Neal Adams to old is a matter that anyone can settle for themselves, but I couldn't help devouring Batman Odyssey as it came out and just seemed overloaded with ideas and energy. Certainly worlds apart from his old work, yet fascinating and full of obvious passion.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2022 at 10:02pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

For my own highly personal reasons, Mr. Adams' work in the late 60s and early 70s is what I prefer. But that's as far as possible from any kind of judgment on the quality of his later work, which I think acquits itself:

Edited by Michael Penn on 24 May 2022 at 10:04pm

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 24 May 2022 at 10:59pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

X-MEN: THE HIDDEN YEARS is one of my favorite books, and I think that article
hits on a lot of what makes it such a great series. I agree with most of the
article - it's great to see a deep dive into the actual content of the book. The
series worked on the surface level of a fun comic book read, but when you
consider the context, it's a wonderfully layered book that is always great to
revisit.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2022 at 12:59am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

It was The Hidden Years that got me to look at superhero comics again after a long break and I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one, which is something I've heard older readers say about when Neal Adams started at DC in the late '60s!

I was quite happy with the first Ms. Mystic comic (and a shorter back-up in a Captain Victory) in the early '80s, but then it seemed ages for an #2 to appear, although The Rocketeer was quite sporadic in appearing around the same time and that was always worth waiting for.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2022 at 4:34am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Neal Adams was greatly displeased by what happened there.

Criminal. You have to wonder how could've that possibly happened, if Neal Adams doesn't have enough clout to prevent some "junior freelance art director" from butchering his work like that then who does?

And from reading his account he kinda knew that would happen and did all he could to prevent it, but still. Amazing.

At the risk of being accused of “speaking ill of the dead”, I will say that in the Eighties Neal began to drift away from the clean, economically line that had so appealed to me.

On the other hand, I also agree with this. Hadn't made the connection to the "Image Style", though.

Neal Adams imitating Rob Liefeld, go figure. Life is strange indeed.

DC let him retouch the classic "Green Lantern" stories from the 1970s in a trade paperback in the 1990s, and it just smacks too much of the thing George Lucas did with the special editions. 

Also hard agree. Remaster it, present it in the best possible quality but don't change stuff to "appeal to modern audiences" or whatever. That's what the current stuff is for, let classic editions be, well, classic.

'Okay. How about I art direct the color?' 

Obviously Neal had the best intentions and they actually botched the coloring real good in this case but this got me thinking about the KILLING JOKE recoloring Bolland did himself and is, IMHO, vastly inferior to the original coloring by John Higgins.

Maybe let people do their jobs? Tricky, I know.

Now you can't even get the original coloring KILLING JOKE, only the Bolland recolored one. It still bugs me (although I have an original version myself, thankfully).

Comparing newer Neal Adams to old is a matter that anyone can settle for themselves, but I couldn't help devouring Batman Odyssey as it came out and just seemed overloaded with ideas and energy.

I have those as well. It's Neal Adams doing Batman and one is grateful for whatever one can get but... apart from the bonkers, borderline incoherent story I was especially bugged by the "Batman Grabs a Gun" thing.

Frank Miller got it right in DKR: "This is the weapon of the enemy"

Edited by Rodrigo castellanos on 25 May 2022 at 4:55am

Athanasios Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2022 at 7:34am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I get that the cover the way Neal wanted it is artistically superior, but the main characters are way too muddy. The cover of the original collection, despite its many faults, at least focuses on the 5 main X-Men and all are easy to make out.
As for reworking on the originals, I don't like the notion at all. This isn't about special effects, it's about changing the art, which is a big no-no for me.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version