Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13
Topic: The Supreme Court Decision: Roe v Wade Struck Down Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2022 at 7:14pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

QUOTE:
Can't Congress now pass legislation specifically granting EPA authority to limit emissions that were at issue in this ruling?
As always, the filibuster would prevent that unless there's 60 senators who support the idea.

Though I am not convinced total elimination of the filibuster is a good idea either.  That will simply create a situation where Congress will enact laws, and then the other party will take over and undo them.  Since the Senate has a rural bias which gives Republicans a disproportionate likelihood of controlling the chamber (despite the views of the American people as a whole), the lack of a filibuster would probably lead to more bad policy than good.

Mitch McConnell's decision to politicize the judicial appointment process to extremes previously unheard of in US history has done (possibly) irreparable damage to this country.
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2022 at 8:03pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Back in July 2007, i.e., with a year and half left in President Bush's second term, Schumer had declared the Democratic majority Senate  should not confirm a U.S. Supreme Court nominee under Bush "except in extraordinary circumstances." Whatever that policy or threat meant or might have been realized as, nothing came to pass to necessitate its execution. Nevertheless, there's no doubt that McConnell is the one who actually did free the genie and... at this point... it's hard to imagine any Republican Senate confirming a Democratic President's nominee, even from day one, first term, and likely[?] vice versa.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2022 at 8:36pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Big win for limiting the EPA's job-killing regulations, say the GOP.

The only cost is the planet-killing emissions...

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2022 at 9:27pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

A lot of this stuff is just so over the top that I can only imagine it backfiring on the GOP - though of course if they by some small miracle fail to take the House and Senate in November and through some larger miracle fail to win back the White House in 2024, it won't make any real difference for these decisions.  As noted above, the Senate is too evenly divided and will remain so for any bills addressing these things to pass.  This stuff is going to be the law of the land for decades, now.

At least with the climate ruling, it feels like there's already so much momentum away from fossil fuels that I don't foresee the sudden return of, say, the Hummer.  It's more like a mission statement; Clarence Thomas venting his decades of pent-up bad vibes on the nation.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2022 at 3:20am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I stand by my belief that coaches are brought in to win and players are there to win. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Weak sauce.

I offered concrete arguments to the contrary and you went with "agree to disagree".

So much for that winning mentality, coach would be disappointed. 

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2022 at 3:26am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I know the word "coup" gets thrown around a lot lately, but it genuinely seems like you guys are in the process of a judicial coup right now.

And the elected government seems completely clueless and impotent about it (or worse... but I don't feel like going all Realpolitik right now)

The mental exhaustion of these past years is an enormous one but the bad guys don't rest. And they'll get you when you're down.

Scary moment.

Edited by Rodrigo castellanos on 01 July 2022 at 3:34am

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2022 at 8:20am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

QUOTE:
I know the word "coup" gets thrown around a lot lately, but it genuinely seems like you guys are in the process of a judicial coup right now.
Sadly, that seems to be an accurate way to characterize the situation.  We seem to have become a theocracy governed by a judiciary of religious fanatics.  It's difficult to be optimistic about the future of this nation.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 13
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version