Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: My Home State Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 June 2022 at 3:08pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I forgot where I was again. Sorry for fun quips.

•••

Hairshirts in Aisle 3.

Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 24 June 2022 at 5:34pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Michael Penn wrote:
Matt, I think you meant you've been in SoCal a quarter century, not a quarter decade. :)

You are correct!  Whoops!  

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2022 at 6:42pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I've lived in Illinois for 50+ years.  It's always been home.  Do I love living here?  Yes, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't leave it in an instant and move to, say, WA state (specifically Seattle area) if I won the lottery.  As long as I'm with my wife, I'm happy.  Where we live isn't as important as who I'm with.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2022 at 8:34pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

As for TN, the only thing I can say I really love about it anymore is that our family is still here.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Sadly, I can't even say that about TN anymore. My in-laws are in NH, my stepdaughter is in Washington (state, not D.C.) and in the military, and most of my mother's side of the family rarely even talks to us since Mom came down with dementia. Sorely tempted to see if I can convince my wife to move to a blue state (or one that at least isn't filled with right-wing whackos) if we can ever afford to.

I'm in Knoxville, in the eastern part of the state. During the Civil War, the battle of Ft. Sanders was here. I see a lot of confederate flags here. TN was the last state to leave the Union, and first to rejoin. The eastern part of the state was majority pro-Union during the war......And I see way too many pro-Trump flags and signs for my liking. (Including some Trump 2024 bs.)

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2022 at 9:16pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The Trump flags and Confederate flags never left here, Brian F. We still have
billboards saying “We Love You President Trump” from when he visited our
county and town after tornadoes a few years ago.

Mike Baswell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2022 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I live in Alabama, born and raised here as a matter of fact. For all of its problems, and there are aplenty, what I love about my state is its natural wonders. We have semi-mountainous regions in the far northeast, gulf beaches in the south, some of the most diverse river basins in the country and a wealth of wildlife. I'm almost centrally located, so I'm just a few hours drive in any direction from any of it.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2022 at 6:20pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I've been living in Arizona since 1971.

We have the best winters anywhere.

Our summers however......

Back to Top profile | search | www

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2022 at 12:55am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I've lived in Connecticut my whole life (born in 1958), mostly upper Fairfield County. Went to college at UCONN, worked and lived in upper Fairfield County, and I expect to retire in CT also.
My wife is also from CT; my two daughters went to school at UCONN. Older daughter is now a homeowner in CT; younger daughter will move to Mass. after her second year hospital pharmacy is completed, so she will be in New England (if not CT).
I generally find CT people to be pretty rational, regardless of party affiliation (I'm not sure about the rest of the country, but that's another issue.)

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2022 at 12:48am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I consider both Wisconsin and New Jersey a "home" state. Wisconsin had a lot going for it back then, including a community where I could walk (as a fourth grader) about three miles to the police station to ask about fingerprinting (and get an answer, as well as a mugshot) without triggering any alerts or accusations of having negligent parents. 

New Jersey, lived in a bedroom community full of commuters but met my oldest friends there, rediscovered comics (after having to part with what I'd had back in Wisconsin--no room for them in the move, they said), and found my way into fantasy, sf, and D&D (which led to some of the best moments of my haphazard and unplanned "career").

Allan Summerall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2022 at 6:27pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

South Central Pennsylvania about 20-25 minutes from Gettysburg. I was born in Key West and then lived outside Charleston, SC until I was 8, before my dad retired from the Navy and we moved here. Lots of farm country.Where I'm at is pretty decent and only 2-3 hours from DC, Philly and Pittsburgh. There's also Hershey about an hour away and we would go to Heresheypark a few times during the summer or catch a few hockey games there in the fall/winter. It's really nice during the warmer days to just walk around the town or along the back roads. Sometimes we have deer in our backyard and that's always a treat to see.

Michael Murphy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2022 at 10:30pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Ohio. My family moved here half ways through my freshman year of high school in 1983 and other than 2 years in South Carolina just over 10 years ago I have lived in Ohio ever since.

One of the things I loved about leaving SC and coming back to Ohio was that I was leaving a very religious, conservative state to come back to somewhere more centrist. That has changed and we are, unfortunately for me, becoming redder by the year.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 June 2022 at 12:34am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I've lived in Illinois for 50+ years. It's always been home. Do I love living here? Yes, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't leave it in an instant and move(…)if I won the lottery.

•••

A friend made much the same comment recently—tho he added that winning the lottery would pretty much “fix” everything about where he currently lives.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version