Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: A for JB: Background masters Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2022 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

George Perez, Marshal Rogers and Steve Ditko...but Moebius took backgrounds and locations and made them works of art unto themselves. 

In comic strips Hal Foster and Milt Caniff were on opposite ends but both imbued backgrounds with such atmosphere. 
Back to Top profile | search

Jonathan A. Dowdell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2022 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Steve Ditko (his Doctor Strange in particular)
Jim Starlin
Back to Top profile | search

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2022 at 7:28pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Hard-pressed to think of anyone that would 'beat' Giraud/Moebius, in either incarnation. The Blueberry environments are well-researched, epic, and totally real, and the mile-high future cities are fanciful, detailed, and totally real.

Frank Miller and Dave Gibbons come to mind as artists who treated the backgrounds as a strong, thought-out part of the overall design and mood of the story. Most of the EC greats had a knack for it, though Bernard Krigstein had a notably dry and effective eye. I feel like it's cheating to say Winsor McCay, but there are few in or out of comics who had as great a natural command of perspective and scope (and it helps that he had a ligne claire approach to backgrounds and color about five decades before that was even a thing).

Does Gerhard count?  'Cause: Gerhard.  But if he were added then I'd probably need to give a shout-out to any number of invisible Manga background artists.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2022 at 7:38pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

JB, despite the nonsense about not drawing backgrounds, is genuinely one of the best background artists I've seen. In fact, as a youth, it was his backgrounds and the detail contained within them that was a big fascination for me in regard to his art.I loved looking over the Hellfire club's backgrounds, for instance.

George Perez was certainly another artist who did awesome and detailed backgrounds. (How much does it bite that I have to say "was" anymore?)
Back to Top profile | search | www

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version