Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 27 Next >>
Topic: FBI Raids Mar-a-Lago Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2022 at 2:00am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

His latest attorney's practice specialty is litigation of water, fire, insurance fraud, vandalism and theft claims on residential and commercial properties. So it makes sense Trump would represent himself, since as president he theoretically could have acquired superior expertise in the legalities of records retention and classification.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2022 at 1:54pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

There’s talk about how risky it might be to prosecute Trump. No one should be above the LAW, but I'll be ok with a plea deal to ensure that he NEVER runs for any office again, and stays mum on the social media scene. 

That alone would be a welcome relief.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 27 August 2022 at 3:30pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Brian Floyd: "Apparently Trump is going to represent himself in the case of the
Mar-a-Lago search and documents recovery, because he can't find anyone
willing to represent him.

"****

This is false, and has been fact-checked by many sources, including Politifact:

Link

Please post your sources for news items like this. We are in an age of
disinformation and maddening redirection, so it's important to show your
source of information so readers can better assess the reliability of the facts.

Edited to make link active~Matt

Back to Top profile | search

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2022 at 12:56am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I don't remember for sure, but the source I got it from *may* have been The Huffington Post.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 28 August 2022 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

To Tim's point Trump has lawyers working for him.  They're  just not the best as many have (shockingly!) turned him down (link).  But he has a hack...er...um....lawyer representing him.  He has never represented himself in court. Huff Po is, well, Huff Po.  Fairly awful as far as reliability is concerned.  Clickbait is a generous term for them.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 29 August 2022 at 4:09am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Brian, I'm not asking you to jog your memory - I'm telling you to post links to
news items. Let's face it - you're not that great with facts to begin with, but
this one is a doozy.

I have an acid test for news like this that is fairly reliable - I call it the WWF
Factor. When I was a kid, I saw Rowdy Roddy Piper get into such an explosive
argument on a talk show that he wrecked the set and started a big fight with
the other guests. I thought this was huge, outrageous news. At dinner with my
family that evening, I assured them with absolute certainty that this was sure
to be on the national news, and quite possibly even international coverage.

Of course, nobody mentioned it. It was fake theater and wasn't true, like your
half-remembered story. If Trump were representing himself, it would be
international news and it would be everywhere.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2022 at 12:10pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

‘WWF Factor”. Definitely adopting this terminology. 

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2022 at 4:02pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The USDOJ v. Lavarello case from March 2022 is getting lots of attention today as an example of just how preferential the treatment is for the Manchurian Cantaloupe. This woman did far less and is serving/served three month in jail.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2022 at 4:17pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Well, I'm not using the Huffington Post as a source anymore, without verifying it elsewhere. Because I guess they're about as reliable as Yahoo News. Meaning NOT.

I almost posted an article about Rudy Guiliani's latest bout of stupidity, but can't find a good source for it. Its posted on Yahoo, and apparently taken from USA Today, but I don't see it posted on USA Today's website. I don't trust articles on Yahoo taken from other sources as legit anymore.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2022 at 5:56pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Trump's request to have an independent arbiter look over the seized documents might be moot. The Justice Department said they've already completed an analysis of the documents and put aside any actually covered by attorney-client privilege.

QUOTE:
On Saturday, Judge Aileen M. Cannon of Federal District Court for the Southern District of Florida suggested she was considering appointing a `special master' to independently look at the materials taken by federal agents from Mar-a-Lago. She ordered the Justice Department to respond by Tuesday and share a complete list of documents, some of them highly classified, taken in the search on Aug. 8.

Mr. Trump’s request for a special master — which was filed far later than is typical — is significant because it could provide his legal team with an opportunity to contest the government’s seizure of specific documents whose ownership, and possibly classification levels, they see as being in dispute.

But the Justice Department’s three-page filing on Monday, noting that its review of the materials was completed, threw up a significant obstacle to that request. In the filing, lawyers at the department disclosed that its privilege review team had finished its assessment of the documents and set aside “a limited set of materials that potentially contain attorney-client information,” a requirement that was mandated by the original search warrant issued by a federal magistrate judge in Florida this month."

Source: The New York Times.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2022 at 7:17pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

QUOTE:
In the filing, lawyers at the department disclosed that its privilege review team had finished its assessment of the documents

You'd think the privilege review team would take one second to look Trump over and conclude: yes.*

*I know this isn't what the privilege review team is for; I'm being silly

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2022 at 3:22am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

"In the filing, lawyers at the department disclosed that its privilege review team had finished its assessment of the documents and set aside a limited set of materials that potentially contain attorney-client information"

Setting aside that its Trump, does anyone think this is unfair?  By conducting this review, the same agency that has the power to prosecute Trump has now seen what should have been privileged information.

It seems like a better procedure would have been:
  • Have the FBI secure all of the documents that were seized in the search.
  • Allow Trump and his lawyers to identify documents they believe are privileged.
  • Have the judge or a special master review the documents identified by Trump, and make a ruling as to whether any are actually privileged.
  • Anything that is not privileged can be used as evidence by the DOJ to prosecute Trump, but anything that is privileged should not be seen by them.
I still don't think there will be a trial, but until that is officially decided, everyone should be conducting themselves as if a full criminal prosecution is on the table.

Knowing Trump, if you were ever going to prosecute him, I think you'd want to scrupulously avoid anything that would provide him with a legitimate hope for a mistrial or appeal.

Edited by John Wickett on 30 August 2022 at 3:26am

<< Prev Page of 27 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version