Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Amusing She-Hulk Musings Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 August 2022 at 3:41pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Watching the trailer showing hulked up Bruce and Jen meditating on the beach, and thinking back to the bulky Shulkie of recent years, I am once again saddened by Marvel’s seeming determination to de-unique everything.

After all, if Bruce has his full intelligence as the Hulk, what’s special about Jennifer? And on the flip side, if she’s all bulked up and “savage”, what’s special about the Hulk?

Back to Top profile | search

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 August 2022 at 3:51pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Yeah, I'm not a fan of this smart-Hulk appearing, but I guess that's more the fault of the movies doing that to him beforehand. At the very least, having seen the first episode, even though the differences between the 2 are unfortunately levelled - they seem to be making it a point that Jen instantly takes to being "a Hulk", something that Bruce had to struggle with, to the point of him being miffed that she really needs no "training" at all. The biggest selling point seems to be that they are using the element established by Stern and you that she's enjoying being She-Hulk.

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 August 2022 at 4:25pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

It feels like they're setting up Bruce to lose control again, particularly with this episode - they've definitely shown they're on the long game, and the Smart Hulk has only been around for a fraction of the film appearances.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2022 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Making my way thru a re-read of SENATIONAL. Just so wonderful.

A question, JB:

How did you decide on the villains you used? And the other obscure
characters. I’ll be totally honest and admit I don’t think I had heard of any of
them before the appearances in your run(s). Were you actually aware of
them all beforehand? If so, that’s quite a library of reference in your noggin.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 August 2022 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I set out to find the most lame villains there were.

And, yes, most of them came from the dark dungeons of my memory.

One exception was Mahkismo. I wanted a lame time traveler, and nobody sprang to mind. I called Peter Sanderson, and he immediately suggested that loser.

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2022 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

After all, if Bruce has his full intelligence as the Hulk, what’s special about Jennifer?
It's more than that. Unlike you, i like a lot Peter David's Hulk run, but what is the difference between the smart green Hulk  and Doc Savage, or a Superman that doesn't fly? Excepted that he's green, of course.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 August 2022 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

...what is the difference between the smart green Hulk and Doc Savage, or a Superman that doesn't fly?

••

How about the Thing?

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2022 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The difference would be that Bruce Banner is a scientific genius, but as it was, they could have called it Doc Banner, The Man of Emerald!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 August 2022 at 1:33pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Bruce's LOSS of his genius is a vital part of the characterization of the early Hulk.

(Mind you, in those first six issues before cancellation, Stan and Jack floundered around a lot!)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 August 2022 at 1:37pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Did you find it difficult to emulate Liefeld’s “style?” You pulled it off rather well, I thought.

••

The hardest part was accepting what I was looking at. Did he REALLY draw that??

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2022 at 1:58pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Bruce's LOSS of his genius is a vital part of the characterization of the early Hulk.

(Mind you, in those first six issues before cancellation, Stan and Jack floundered around a lot!)

Yes.
Basically i enjoyed the Hulk we got in the early Avengers issues.
The version of reference would still be the Hulk of the 70s, culmination of what came before: childish, with a good heart, and who gets stronger when he gets angrier, that we had for so long.

The first "smart hulk" (excepted, as you alluded to, for some issue of the original Lee/Kirby/Ditko 6 issues), the one of Bill Mantlo, was an interesting way to explore the character, and that was Banner in Hulk body still facing his curse. It got downhill pretty fast, if not in number of issues, at least in the fictive life of the character.

There's no real problem with Joe Fixit, that's a return to the original Hulk, and close to the Avengers version

But the Green Hulk who worked with the Pantheon. Really, up to scientific genius and superstrength, that was a green Doc Savage. Stronger than Doc Savage if you want, Superman level, but a green Doc Savage. The stories (in my opinion) are wonderful, Hulk's supporting cast is here, but that's more Doc Savage than Hulk.

Edited by Stéphane Garrelie on 20 August 2022 at 2:20pm

Jason Ditzel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2022 at 8:43pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

She-Hulk (#5) vs Doctor Bong. The bad guy ringing his own head and She-Hulk complaining about the lameness of it while breaking the 4th wall is so good. MCU fans would melt the internet if they did that bit. BONG!!!

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version