Posted: 15 March 2023 at 4:12pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

…Masters in Tax…

•••

Sounds like a DC villain!

Back to Top profile | search

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2023 at 2:10am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Born and bred in Brooklyn for the first 36 years of my life, then about 6 years with an ex on Long Island, then the past 7 in New Jersey with my now-wife. She and I grew up in the same neighborhood (a long story that I told here once before) - and when someone asks where we're from, we still say Brooklyn. Somehow she's not afflicted with the Brooklyn accent (though the rest of her family was), so she could get away with saying someplace else. Harder for me, though. I've worked at jobs with Millennials in the city that moved to Brooklyn from other parts of the US when it became "hip" to do so, with my accent making me feel like an outsider in my own town!

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2023 at 1:50pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

You can take the boy outta Brooklyn, but you can't...! And, yup, you live "on" Long Island. Vinny, you're of our generation, that is, when to be from the city or even the Island meant that eventually ending up in Jersey was -- GAH! (And my paesan buddies growing up definitely had some words to say about "dem Jersey Italians"!) 

But as much as the Brooklyn you knew is gone, so too is that age-old stigma against NJ. I do miss the old Canarsie, though...

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2023 at 2:15pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Re: The "on" thing, yep you picked up on that...that was something that bugged me about WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS - they always referred to living "in" Staten Island. Same rule applies, everyone in the NYC area uses the "on" term, instead.

"And my paesan buddies growing up definitely had some words to say about "dem Jersey Italians"!"

--

Hah, so maybe you can relate to this...my ex from LI used to rag on people from Jersey, and my wife rags on people from LI. I've lived in both places and even geographically in-between both and I honestly don't get the "hate" either way. I can't really tell a difference between the people from either place. And I actually had a conversation w her about "the Long Island accent" a couple of nights ago. I maintain that there is no such thing - it's just the Brooklyn/NY accent from people that spread out to other areas like we did.

And re: Canarsie, yeah there was something about the area, good and bad. When we were growing up it was an equal mix of Jewish and Italian, and you really wouldn't tell the difference between folks that were either. See Andrew Dice Clay ( nee Andrew Claw Silverstein) as the best example of this - as kids we once rang his doorbell at his home in Bergen Beach but the housekeeper answered. We referred to each other as "Pizza Bagels". Growing up next door to the Varios was an interesting experience. Being of the same age as Paul Vario's grandkids, it was something we just never spoke about, especially when Paul Sorvino played their granddad in GOODFELLAS.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2023 at 2:32pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

> I honestly don't get the "hate" either way. <

Me neither, but it was a thing in its day: sauce versus gravy! To me, all delish. And spot-on about the "Long Island accent." Nope. My wife was from the Bronx, then Rosedale, then Huntington, and now on the South Shore. Anybody who took that journey, yeah, an accent. But all the young people around us, without any city roots? Nope. Nothing. Generic! Even my kids. [Sad.]

As a young lawyer, I worked for the defense of some guys in the DeMeo crew. Oofah. Nuff said.

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2023 at 3:08pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Born and raised in Ohio. While in the Navy, I lived in,
but didn't really feel a part of, Chicago, Orlando, then
Connecticut, then Jacksonville, Fla (and by Jacksonville,
Fla, I mean Kings Bay, Georgia), with a six-to-eight month
sojourn to Baltimore. In CT and GA, I had to arrange for
my own housing and a car, but still lived more as a
perpetual tourist than a citizen. After that I went back
to Ohio, but my little town was... still there. So I'm
still from there in any sense of the word.

Andrew Davey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2023 at 3:54pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Geographic Detachment. Curious. I think I answer based on the situation. Lived in NY - Westchester County until my mid-teens. The next almost 40 year in/around Jacksonville Florida.

When meeting someone outside the area the local are, then I am from Jacksonville. If the "where are you from" is really asking for my origin story (and non-southern accent) then the NY link and long family history there comes back into play.

Weird quirk about people in Jacksonville, the city is so big geographically, that often we ask "what part" of Jacksonville you are from, when meeting someone else from Jax, almost by reflex.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 16 March 2023 at 4:04pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I feel like I have my feet planted in two states. I still consider myself Minnesotan.  It’s where I grew up, went to undergrad and I still have many ties to that state, specifically Minneapolis even though I haven’t lived there in 32 years. That said, I’ve lived in Los Angeles nearly 30 years, longer than I’ve lived anywhere else.  I feel attached to this city and California in general. I dreamed about living here since I was 6 years old after I visited my aunt and her family in 1973. Essentially, I was born in Minneapolis but I chose LA. 

I guess it depends on what day and in what mood I’m in.  I feel like I’m from both, if that makes sense.  Each has left an indelible imprint on me that I just can’t shake. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 16 March 2023 at 4:19pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Andrew Davey wrote:
 Weird quirk about people in Jacksonville, the city is so big geographically, that often we ask "what part" of Jacksonville you are from, when meeting someone else from Jax, almost by reflex.

I don’t think that’s weird.  I think it’s common for big cities.  New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Miami, hell even the Twin Cities.  When people ask me where I’m from, I gage whether they know Minnesota geography.  Typically?  People do not, so I say Minneapolis.  If I discover they actually know the various suburbs that make up the Cities, I tell them exactly the suburb where I grew up.  There’s a common nickname for the name of my suburb and people “in the know” automatically repeat it back to me.  

Marc Foxx
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2023 at 4:55pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

@Matt - same thing with Philadelphia - we're a city of
neighborhoods - Center City/Rittenhouse Square, West
Philadelphia, Kensington/Fish Town, South Philly, North
Philly, the "Great Northeast"...that barely scratches the
surface of how we divide and define ourselves, but each
neighborhood contributes something to the character of the
city.

@Vinny and Michael - my sister in law grew up in Massapequa
on Long Island and kids me about being a "Jersey Mook"...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 March 2023 at 5:12pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Calgary, in my day, was Canada’s largest city, in area. Asked where I was from, I could simply name the city, but since it was officially quartered I had the option of adding “south west”.

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2023 at 6:11pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

JB: "Sounds like a DC villain!"

When you spend 5 years (at night, after work) in the program, you find out how screwed up the IRS Tax Code really is!! 

This was in the 1980's. Now, the IRS Code is almost incomprehensible!! Villain would be a nice word for it!!

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version