Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Galactus Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2023 at 8:33pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

......I discovered only last week that Marvel had introduced a character called Galacta, the daughter of Galactus, over a decade ago......

For some reason, after reading this, I cannot get the thought of Galactus having "sex" with an "cosmic" entity out of my head......    :-(

HELP!!!!
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2023 at 1:28am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Galacta is from an alternate universe, fortunately.

Now, if you want something really stupid they did with Galactus, look up Black Winter. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 June 2023 at 1:38am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Ah, yes. If you can’t make it better, make it bigger!

Wesley Wong
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2023 at 5:17am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

"Mother of Galactus"? "Daughter of Galactus"? I've been
away from the scene for a long while now, but is this
for real? Sheesh.

Galactus texting Reed Richards with pics of the family:
"Behold! Look what my life has become. You should have
let me die!"

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 June 2023 at 12:10pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It seems that most writers—even Stan, over time—couldn’t think BIG enough for Galactus. I did the best I could to emphasize what the Watcher said of him (that he was “beyond good and evil”) but as soon as I let go of the character there were those who raced to portray him as a cosmic thug who needed to be punished for his “misdeeds”.

(There’s a good deal of confusion in the early days. In the original Galactus story it is stated explicitly that Earth is the first inhabited world Galactus has visited. That went out the window with the origin of the Silver Surfer—along with a lot of the Surfer’s implied backstory.)

As many of you know, when I became writer/artist on FANTASTIC FOUR Shooter challenged me to “restore Galactus”. I spent a couple of years doing so, with the additional self-imposed challenged that I would not contradict what had been established. (The closest I came there was “revealing” that the deadly “disease” seen destroying life in Stan and Jack’s origin story was actually the terminal entropy of a prior universe, out of which Galactus was “born”.)

I created Terminus to take up the cosmic thug role, but unfortunately he was gutted about as fast as the Ferengi.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 June 2023 at 12:24pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I’ll mention, too, that one of the most fondly remembered stories from my tenure on FF, “The Trial of Reed Richards”, came about because of the X-Men office breaking protocol and having Lilandra invade the Baxter Building to threaten Reed over his part in saving the dying Galactus without permission from the FF office. Chris could not accept that this would be allowed while Dark Phoenix had had to die.

When the FF editor and I complained to Shooter about this he said we should “answer” in the FF. (I wanted that answer to be the FF beating the crap out of the Sh’ar and Lilandra—a character for whom I had no great love—but Shooter would not allow that.) So we did.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2023 at 12:38pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

<< I wanted that answer to be the FF beating the crap out of the Sh’ar and Lilandra... >>

That would've been sweet. 

(It was weird crowbarring them so prominently into the X-Men from the get-go. Too bad Chris Claremont couldn't have just had a separate comicbook series for them, completely unrelated to the X-Men.)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 June 2023 at 1:38pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Chris had a hard time staying “on model” with the X-Men. The book was allegedly about mutants, but the moment he was on his own, he did a story about a demon!

Over his time on the book he gave us more demons, vampires, aliens and whatever else caught his fancy. Stories more appropriate to “open format” books like FF or THE AVENGERS.

Still, the fans certainly didn’t seem to mind!

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2023 at 3:10am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

As I mentioned before, I was reading of Twilight of the Idols on Thursday, January 19th, 2023. And as I read through I got a strange deja vu of that scene of Galactus from Fantastic Four #262 back around 1984. Back then, it blew my mind when each alien race saw Galactus as a reflection of their own alien race. 

For what it's worth, I think your statement on Galactus was one of the most 'theologically accurate' ones. My deepest apologies because I seriously misunderstood your position many years ago. 

As recorded in, Romans 1:20 "For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—His eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse." 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rod Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2023 at 6:00am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

L Hunt wrote: We do also have the mother of Galactus now in the comics. I quite liked her as a character. <covers head>

Technically, Taaia is the mother of Galan and has no knowledge of Galactus.  She is a science hero from the previous universe who aids a group of Defenders travelling through time.  She has no contact with the current Marvel universe, but someone will undoubtedly mess that up. I quite like her too, within the context of the two Defenders mini-series.

That said, I understand the distaste regarding children of Galactus, as him being reborn "beyond good and evil" would suggest that he would be above the human need for companionship. 

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2023 at 6:03am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Now, excuse what sounds like paranoia, but Marvel has spent a good deal of energy over the past few decades basically erasing my contributions.

Well, I'm guessing MOST people's contributions from the 70's or 80's are getting erased to some extent.  And maybe the 60's too.  As a fan who re-dips his toe every so often, I would love it if most of the 90's got erased!

And their erasures will get erased one day too.  That's the nature of narratives that continue for 50, 60, 80 years.

Rod Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2023 at 6:08am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

JB wrote: I wanted that answer to be the FF beating the crap out of the Sh’ar and Lilandra—a character for whom I had no great love—but Shooter would not allow that.

I'm glad that idea got nixed.  What came out was much more subtle and nuanced and succeeded in putting Lilandra in her place without so much as a punch being throne.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version