Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 14 Next >>
Topic: A New "Byrne Challenge" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2005 at 7:11pm | IP Logged | 1  

Alex Ross and his team are going on a bi-monthly schedule. That at least is honest, those who decide to follow the series know what to expect.

Marvel tried to do the same thing with their new Secret War series. Astonishingly, they couldn't even keep to their quarterly schedule. In two years they have only been able to put out four issues.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mig Da Silva
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2005 at 7:13pm | IP Logged | 2  

On Hitch:

Aparently in the beggining the excuse was the complexity of the pencils, the new level of art never seen before and the impossibility to keep up the schedule with such fine art and Hitch's slowness. Apparently a more appropriate one was found. Ultimates #01 was released in 2002. It's the end of 2005. Three years have passed and the incapability to publish it on time continues today (we should be on #36 roughly if monthly, and #24 roughly if bimonthly - both not reached.) Those are 30 something months. Not 9. Unless a manger, a falling star, and three wise men were involved, something is sorely hard to understand mathematically.

On lateness, 2 phrases:

"Joe Quesada."

"Daredevil: Father."

'Nuff said.
Back to Top profile | search

Wes Wescovich
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2005 at 7:26pm | IP Logged | 3  

Alright, since you all are so concerned about your favorite artist's girl-friend's health issues.  During the 70's and 80's, were there NO writers or artists who had family crisis or personal health problems?  Sure there were.  I don't have any specific examples, but one would have to be naive as hell to believe that there weren't any.  Yet somehow those comics continued to be published on a monthly schedule. 

I remember when there was a Superboy and the Legion issue that came out in the late 70's featuring a gorgeous Starlin cover and I was surprised to find a Swan reprint inside.  There was an editorial from Al Milgrom on the inside cover apologizing for the fact that he had just taken over the editing chores and the first issue under his reign was a reprint due to a schedule problem.  THAT was a professional response to the problem. 

I have my own response to late books.  I don't buy them anymore.  I've quit many titles that I was really enjoying because I hated having to wait for these so-called "professionals" to complete their CONTRACTED work.  

Added Red Sonja to that list yesterday when I read a remark from the writer that he would rather the book be late than rushed.  Damn shame.  Makes me wish the place I work for was as relaxed as many of these comic companies.  I would love to not have to produce my work on time and work at whatever pace suited me on that particular day.  And still be revered and worshiped by my customers the way the fanboys eat up the "roses".  Hell, they might even make up excuses for me, too. 

Jacob P Secrest
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2005 at 7:36pm | IP Logged | 4  

Never mind.

Edited by Jacob P Secrest on 25 September 2005 at 7:38pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2005 at 7:39pm | IP Logged | 5  

Bottom line for me is: I'm tired of being lied to. 

Right in the indicia of IRON MAN #3 (the last issue I bought until the creative team changes), it says: Published monthly by Marvel Comics.

Monthly. Meaning once a month.  Look it up.  Honest, that's what it means.  It'll be October in a few days, and we've seen four IRON MAN issues total, only three of which were actually published this year.

Anybody that tells me it's worth the wait needs to pull their head out of their butt.

Wes Wescovich
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2005 at 7:48pm | IP Logged | 6  

I also think the audience for the Ultimates would be quite happy to wait too, if the order numbers for the series are anything to go by!

But can M***** editorial even comprehend the concept that if they could get "star" creative teams to actually produce 12 issues a year instead of 3-6, the profits would be much higher?  Sure, the order numbers are great on many of these books, but how much are they losing overall?

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2005 at 7:49pm | IP Logged | 7  

Wes Wescovich: Makes me wish the place I work for was as relaxed as many of these comic companies.  I would love to not have to produce my work on time and work at whatever pace suited me on that particular day.

Yeah, that would be great!  I worked 63 hours this week, including half a day today on Sunday because I have a engineering quote due to Lockheed Martin by the end of business tomorrow.

Time was against us from the get-go since they wanted the request expedited, so I knew the requirements going in, and took the necessary steps to insure that the customer will get what they asked for when they asked for it, because if I didn't, our company would lose a potential multi-million dollar deal.

It's called being professional.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 September 2005 at 7:57pm | IP Logged | 8  

Wes Wescovich: Alright, since you all are so concerned about your favorite artist's girl-friend's health issues.  During the 70's and 80's, were there NO writers or artists who had family crisis or personal health problems?  Sure there were.  I don't have any specific examples, but one would have to be naive as hell to believe that there weren't any.  Yet somehow those comics continued to be published on a monthly schedule. 

If his girlfriend's distress did, indeed, cause Brian Hitch to miss his deadlines, he has my most heartfelt sympathies. Even out in the "real world", where people work in offices and wear ties, things can happen in their personal lives that disrupt their work. This happens, curiously enough, because most people who work in offices out in the real world are not chasing deadlines. They are merely doing their daily routine, same thing every day, and if something disrupts that routine, a domino effect kicks in.

Now -- in November 1980 I moved from Calgary to Chicago, started work on my first issue of FF, got married, basically restarted my life from scratch with a new wife, new house, couple of instant kids, and a whole lot of running back and forth to various government offices to sign papers and talk to stern faced beurocrats about whether or not I was going to be allowed to stay in the US even tho I had married an American citizen. Altogether, over the months of November, December and January I probably lost about three weeks of work time.

Not one issue of FANTASTIC FOUR was late.

Why? Because I was ahead of schedule when I started, and I was still ahead of schedule when everything settled down.

This is what I mean about how dangerous it is to work to the actual deadlines, instead of creating your own that are in advance of what the office is asking for. So, not wishing to seem unsympathetic to Brian Hitch and his girlfriend, but where was he on deadlines before the problems set in?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 September 2005 at 8:09pm | IP Logged | 9  

W.W.: But can M***** editorial even comprehend the concept that if they could get "star" creative teams to actually produce 12 issues a year instead of 3-6, the profits would be much higher?  Sure, the order numbers are great on many of these books, but how much are they losing overall?

This simple fact does seem elusive to the very people to whom it should be most clear. I see eyes glaze over whenever I mention it. I hear conversations like. . .

"Your book is not as profitable as FONEBONEMAN SPECIAL."

"What do you mean? I produce 12 issues a year, and each one nets a profit of $10,000. That's $120,000!"

"Yes, but Sam Superstar did one issue of FONEBONEMAN SPECIAL and it made $200,000 in profit!"

"But wasn't Sam supposed to do 12 issues? So you could have made $2,400,000! Sounds to me like that's the book that wasn't profitable!"

"But you don't understand! From one issue of your book, we make $10,000. From one issue of Sam's we made $200,000!"

"But that's one-twelfth of what you could have made!"

"But it's 20 times what we make in one month from your book!"

"But that's only one month! In a year, I give you 12 issues!"

"But those 12 issues only add up to $120,000. That's $80,000 less than we made in one month!"

"But the other 11 months you made diddly! You didn't make over two million that you could have!"

"But we made 20 times in one month what we make from your book in one month!"

"But you could have made. . . .   never mind."

Mary Ives
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2005 at 8:14pm | IP Logged | 10  

Perhaps, I'm a bit late to this...and I started to post this before I finished the thread, but then I finished the thread, and yeah...I need to post this...

< Call me a cold-hearted monster, but that would be an acceptable excuse only if it was Hitch's girlfriend drawing the Ultimates. Or her pediatrician. There is no such thing as paternity-leave.>

While I might understand the practical viewpoint - one must keep to one's deadlines, it's a job, after all - still a very callous, coldhearted and truly nasty thing to say.  In my opinion only, of course.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 September 2005 at 8:21pm | IP Logged | 11  

Deadlines are very callous, cold hearted and truly
nasty, Mary. There is -- or traditionally has been -- a
reason they have the word "dead" in them.

(Frank Miller tells this story: At DarkHorse his SIN
CITY editor kept telling him what he called the "drop
dead" deadline -- the absolute, final, no loopholes,
can't get around it no matter what date for when
Frank could turn in his work and the book could still
be shipped on time. Frank responded that he didn't
want the "drop dead" deadline -- he wanted the "no
fuckups" deadline -- when he could turn in the book
and be guaranteed it would go thru the office and
every single production job -- cleanup, paste up,
proofing, corrections, the works -- would get done
with no fuck ups. In other words, a deadline
furthest from the shipping date, not closest to
it.)

Leroy Douresseaux
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2005 at 8:28pm | IP Logged | 12  

<<Do you have his exact words?>>

No, Thomas.  This was through a few emails five years ago.  I wish I had kept them.  He was right though; anyway he put it, Marvel's editorial practices weren't my business.

Marvel is not alone in this, but I think they aren't concerned about giving the customer what he wants.  Marvel wants the customer to buy what they have to offer.  Joe has stated more than one time that he wants creative talent that already has a cult following (his words).  In this case the talent is more important than the work.  Having, say three Warren Ellis Iron Man's per year is more important that having a namby pamby 12 issues a year by some no name who isn't a star creator or doesn't write for a TV series.

I might come across as crazy for saying this, but I don't think producing comic books, at least not the way they did 20 years ago, is important to Marvel.  Two issues of Tom Clancy's Iron Man gets Entertainment Weekly and Hollywood's attention.  12 issues by Roger Stern and Herb Trimpe are just blips in Previews.

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version