Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 19 Next >>
Topic: Question for JB: How do you deal with these sorts of Morons? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2006 at 3:18am | IP Logged | 1  

I have solid, signed documentary evidence of JB threatening to send a huge green woman around to tear up my X-Men comics.

IMP.

Back to Top profile | search

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2006 at 4:16am | IP Logged | 2  

i'd prefer to see what she looks like before i read what she writes.Does she have big smids,i only listen to burds with big smids.

From some of the caricatures at the site it seems she resembles a young Linda Rondstadt. But caricatures are a funny beast.

Mike

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2006 at 6:30am | IP Logged | 3  

Didier Yvon Paul Fayolle: For someone who don't care about Mister B., she must have been lurking here quite often.

Another sad and amusing point.  "I can't stand John Byrne, therefore I shall spend countless hours scouring his website forum for any minor scrap of evidence I can misinterpret and use against him!"

All of this, of course, touted under the banner of, "Well, the people have a right to know how much of an ass John Byrne is!"

The waters are somewhat murky.  Who exactly is the ass here again?

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 February 2006 at 6:46am | IP Logged | 4  

OK, I read that column in which there are quotes from the artist CrissCross. It seems a mixture of misunderstanding and exaggeration. ChrisCross writes that he told JB that if it weren't for his work, CrissCross wouldn't be in the comics industry. He writes that JB responded, "you make it sound like I was with your mother."

Preposterous. I have a standard answer when artists say I was their reason for getting into the Biz, or fans say I was why they started reading: "All my fault, huh?" I'll bet there are people who post here who got that response at one time or another.

This guy is clearly making this up, in a sad, sad, sad attempt to build himself some creds from his own personal "Bad Byrne" story.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 February 2006 at 6:50am | IP Logged | 5  

Why do people try to distort things so much?

Because the internet, once touted as the greatest boon to communication in human history, is populated in large part by parrots and fools, who will believe anything because "I read it on the internet" -- and by people who are happy to exploit these idiots to their own ends.

As I usually do in these kinds of instances, I wonder here if this latest pair of Crusaders can be found posting angry diatribes on the websites of, say, the American Nazi Party or the Ku Klux Klan. You know -- the people who are really a problem in this country. Or is it easier to chase paper tigers than to risk actually getting your sorry ass kicked?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 February 2006 at 7:04am | IP Logged | 6  

The death, this week, of Coretta Scott King underlines my point about the abuse of the word "hero" in our society. Several times now I have seen headlines characterizing Mrs. King as a "hero", and each time I have thought "Yes, that's what that word means!"

This woman, with her husband, truly earned the title "hero". She fought the good fight, she placed her own life in jeopardy, she stood up against nearly impossible odds -- and she did it by choice. There was nothing compelling her to take the stands she did, the risks, except the fires burning in her own heart. She was not thrust into her circumstance by accident. She put herself there.

Like those firefighters, and police officers, and emergency services workers on 9/11. Like those American boys on D-Day. Like that lone student in Tienamen Square. Placing the needs of others before one's own needs and, indeed, survival. Those are HEROES.

Ian Evans
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2006 at 7:17am | IP Logged | 7  

I had to read the whole slew of comments after the article to get a real perspective and - well, fifteen minutes of my life I will never get back...but there does seem to be real venom in these people, far more than is reasonable even if every slight and insult were true...and the fighting amongst themselves over nothing - the wording of a sentence if I read it properly through my fog of ennui -seems to sum up something or other...just seems to be a controversy seeker who wanted to play to the easy crowd, to me

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2006 at 7:17am | IP Logged | 8  

<--- waiting for someone to find a way to twist those words...
Back to Top profile | search | www

Simon Matthew Park
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2006 at 7:49am | IP Logged | 9  

What floored me was this Cross bloke condoning arbitrary violence, and threatening JB...and nary a mention of it surfacing from 'Her Ladyship'. If people deserve to be beaten up to teach them some manners (which seems to be his assertion) why hasn't it happened to him yet? If he was so offended by JB's remark (which, I think we all agree, happened somehwere in Marvel's New Universe, and not our own reality) why didn't he have the guts to say so, then and there, to JB's face?

He came across as a gutless wonder (Australianese for coward), and she came across as the Oprah Winfrey of the online world (next week, in her book club, she's burning some books she hates!). I say again, I wasn't trying to upset anyone with this, but I was so angry, I simply could not believe what I was reading. I took real umbrage to her remarks about this Forum, which has been a kind of intellectual haven for me lately during a difficult time in my life, and was astonished at the amount of vitriol she displayed. It was beyond uncalled for, and it pissed me off. It's the first time I've started a thread, and I'm sorry it was about this topic, but I felt compelled to do it. Thanks again, JB, and to everyone who shares their thoughts in this excellent and unique 'location'.

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2006 at 7:53am | IP Logged | 10  

TO which I told him I would smack him in his fat baldhead if he repeated that silly statement.

Does anyone really believe this guy said this? I mean, who would?

As some of Byrne's henchmen have said that they will start to find and beat those who attack him like the Klan does. How deliciously appropriate don't you think?

When did this happen?

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 February 2006 at 8:03am | IP Logged | 11  

If he was so offended by JB's remark (which, I think we all agree, happened somehwere in Marvel's New Universe, and not our own reality) why didn't he have the guts to say so, then and there, to JB's face?

There was a standup comedian a few years back -- why can I never remember these people's names? -- who included in one of his routines a bit about the things we think but do not say. His point was that we often have to remind ourselves, when regaling our buddies with tales of our adventures, that such-and-such was something we thought but did not actually say.

Take this a step further. 99% of the "Bad Byrne" stories I have come across over the years have been wild embroideries on moments that actually occured, but did not occur how they are told, or when, or where, or any combination. One gets the distinct impression that I made some off-hand, and totally innocent remark, and later, when the other person involved is relating this to his buds, someone in the group says "He said that? What an asshole!" And suddenly the person relating the tale realizes he has been insulted, and is retroactively deeply offended, and, in fact, told me off about it at the time! GRAAHHHRR!!!

A fairly typical example: About fifteen years ago a couple of guys approached me at my table at MidOhioCon (back when it was still in the barn out at the fairgrounds in Mansfield). I signed their books, chatted with them, and at one point asked if they were brothers. They said not, and asked my I thought they were. "You look like you have the same nose," I said. They chuckled, and off they went. Next day, I heard how these two were telling their very own "Bad Byrne" story, because I had "insulted" them by saying they had "big noses". Now, maybe they thought they had big noses, but, as noted, that's not what I said. You can be reasonably sure that by the end of the week, not only had I said they had big noses, but both had to be physically restrained from punching me in mine!

To borrow a line from "Slaughterhouse Five", and so it goes.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 February 2006 at 8:12am | IP Logged | 12  

<--- waiting for someone to find a way to twist those words...

Easy as cake, Wallace. Watch for someone to grab the first paragraph out of context, and force the impression that the last six words are meant to be read sarcastically. You can be reasonably sure very few people will check the source.

<< Prev Page of 19 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version