Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 23 Next >>
Topic: Ten Ways to Tell You’re Too Old for Superheroes (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2006 at 9:06am | IP Logged | 1  

Great ten points!!!...thank God that i don't fall on them!!!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2006 at 9:06am | IP Logged | 2  

Jason wrote:
...It's a metaphysical narrative taking us through the creator's twisted dreamscape (emphasis mine)...

Great! Just to mock the whole nonsense of using "graphic novel" to describe a comic book, I'm tempted to start using that crazy-long description!

Matthew wrote:
... I usually just say "comic book"...

Say it LOUD, say it PROUD!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Mike Farley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2006 at 9:09am | IP Logged | 3  

It's a pet peeve of mine, but I call comic books "comic books" or "comics." I'm not ashamed of the term, and I don't think I should be. "Graphic novel" is an elitist term used by those in the media who don't know better, and by fans who are embarrassed to abmit that they still read comics.

I agree wholeheartedly.  It's especially annoying when something like V for Vendetta or Watchmen is referred to as a graphic novel, as they are not novels at all but collections of serialized shorts.  It's like if I get a DVD collection of the FLASH GORDON serials from the 30s.  I don't have a Flash movie.  I have  collection of shorts.

And at the end of the day, from MAUS to X-FORCE, they're all just comics.
Back to Top profile | search

Jason Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2006 at 9:09am | IP Logged | 4  

The nice thing is, you don't even have to memorize it - just toss a string of pretentious words together, and viola!

Mike Sawin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2006 at 9:09am | IP Logged | 5  

JB wrote:  (3) You refer to superhero costumes as being made of "Spandex".

Everyone knows that it's not Spandex...it's Lurex.  At least, that's the material of Julie Newmar's Catwoman suit...and that looked incredible.

Meow, baby!

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bill Dowling
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2006 at 9:10am | IP Logged | 6  

8) I've yet to see a comic book creator that really does it for me. There have been one or two photos that looked good, but further investigation revealed that those were nonrepresentative photos. But frankly, if Allyson Hannigan ever writes an issue of Buffy, I'm gonna fail this one.

On 2, I remember being confused when I started hearing everyone refer to them as "tights." I always pictured something much more substantial than tights on the heroes. That was one thing that I liked about the new Spider-Man movies. That costume looks nice and thick.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2006 at 9:10am | IP Logged | 7  

Well, I'm toeing the line on #2...

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2006 at 9:10am | IP Logged | 8  

The first GRAPHIC NOVELs I encountered were Jim Starlin's DREADSTAR GN and Claremont/Bolton's MARADA, THE SHE-WOLF, which my father brought me from a trip to the US.  If you've seen these books, your chin might've hit the floor when you looked at the gorgeous painted artwork.  After that, the only other instances I regarded the material worthy of the term were the DeMatteis/Dan Green DOCTOR STRANGE:SHAMBALLA GN and Miller/Sienkiewicz's DAREDEVIL: LOVE AND WAR (JJMuth's DRACULA isn't really sequential art, is it?).

I know my criteria has nothing to do with how conventional wisdom has come to use the term.  But, to me, if it's in india ink, it should be printed on cheap rough paper and called comic book. 

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2006 at 9:11am | IP Logged | 9  

Rob wrote:
... I did refer to them sometimes as spandex because I just assumed they were...

It irks me that so many comics writers have adopted using the word "spandex" to describe the outfits the heroes wear. That has led to many, like you, Rob, who actually thought, or still think, that it is supposed to be spandex.

Basically, "spandex" is just an updated version of the derogatory term "long underwear." But, the only problem is that nobody seemed to really think the outfits were actually supposed to be long underwear.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2006 at 9:12am | IP Logged | 10  

Mike wrote:

Everyone knows that it's not Spandex...it's Lurex.  At least, that's the material of Julie Newmar's Catwoman suit...and that looked incredible....

Now that did look nice! -- And Newmar, even nicer!

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2006 at 9:13am | IP Logged | 11  

I've never really thought about those things when reading my comics because I've just accepted them for what they are.  The only thing that really bugs me nowadays is stuff like Spider-Man living with the Avengers, or Dick Grayson seeming like he's the same age as Bruce Wayne, but that stuff I grudgingly accept also.  I guess I'm just an oldstyle comicbook reader, shovel it in front of me and I'll eat it.

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2006 at 9:16am | IP Logged | 12  

That has led to many, like you, Rob, who actually thought, or still think, that it is supposed to be spandex.

I don;t still think it.  As a kid though, some of the girls started wearing spandex a little (yay!) and the comics I think even sometimes referred to it as that, so not menaing to be derogatory, I just thought it was.  Tight form fitting stretchy clothes I would have called spandex then. 

Tights I knew was somewhat making fun-since about that time, Kevin Costner was stating how is Robin Hood would not wear tights.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 23 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version