Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Q for JB: Inking vs. Redrawing (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2006 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 1  

JB,

I just saw a great Sky Masters strip by Kirby with Wally Wood inks and thought of your "alternate universe" notion where FF 1-100 was inked by Wood.  It's a beautiful combo of artists.  Clearly, Wood (a superb artist) did a lot of drawing in his inks over Kirby. 

Sometimes you complain about times you've been teamed up with an inker who "redraws" rather than tracing what's there in the pencils.  Then I also recall that you wish your Spider-Man issue with Romita Sr. inks had turned out more "Romita-ish"  -- almost sounding like you would have liked some re-drawing on that job.

So my question is, can you say a little bit about when you DO and when you DON'T mind being "redrawn" by an inker?

Thanks!
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 May 2006 at 4:06pm | IP Logged | 2  

There are some things I draw very well, and some I cannot draw no matter how hard I try. If the inker really is better at some things than me, I would have no problem with him/her redrawing (just as, on occasions when I have funtioned as inker, I have sometimes redrawn things I know I draw better than the penciler).

Where the problem emerges, is when the inker redraws to simply make the pencils look like he drew them. Nothing "wrong" -- just raging ego.

On the Kirby/Wood collaborations, btw, Kirby was then doing what would today be called tight breakdowns, so naturally Wood put a lot of himself into the work.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2006 at 7:05pm | IP Logged | 3  

I get it-- whatever's best for the final product, as long as it's a real improvement.

This part of comics seems unique to me-- where else is there a professional relationship like the one between penciller and inker?  It's closest companion may be something in music -- composer vs. conductor or something.  Fascinating stuff and thanks for the answer.

Chris Durnell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2006 at 7:08pm | IP Logged | 4  

Of course what's "a real improvement" can be controversial.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2006 at 8:14pm | IP Logged | 5  

So, JB, what did you think about Kyle Baker's finishes on that Avengers Annual (I put some scans up from those pages in the Stern/Byrne thread a few days ago)?

Stephen Sadowski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2006 at 8:25pm | IP Logged | 6  

Hmmm, Mr Byrne ( John?), you yourself say that at least in the instances  when YOU were inking someone else..You THINK you knew you were drawing something "better" than they did.
 I have been BUTCHERED by an inker because I assume he thought he could draw a hand better here, or a FACE there..Were they "wrong"? I dont think so..but clearly he did...Its an interesting line, isnt it, when  one thinks they know something  BETTER than another?
 I'm of the school where I would hope they would contact you before making changes...Communication is key, surely.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2006 at 8:31pm | IP Logged | 7  

Stephen:

I'm curious - was this inker also a penciller at least part-time? I ask because the worst cases of redrawing seem to come from from these cases. For example, not only is Nelson a penciller, but he's also a painter.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2006 at 9:13pm | IP Logged | 8  

If you're John Romita Sr., then YES, your instincts are going to
be right every time, and you should ink a book however you
see fit.

Kyle Baker (back in the 1980s, when he inked other artists),
Kevin Nowlan, Klaus Janson and Bill Sienkiewicz are some
inkers who just about always dominate the penciler, *but* are
good enough to get away with it.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Adam Cain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2006 at 10:07pm | IP Logged | 9  

I hoped Michael Bair would have known better, Stephen. I saw the before and after and you were done a disservice.

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2006 at 10:36pm | IP Logged | 10  

Andrew W. Farago: Kyle Baker (back in the 1980s, when he inked other artists), Kevin Nowlan, Klaus Janson and Bill Sienkiewicz are some inkers who just about always dominate the penciler, *but* are good enough to get away with it.

When I first saw Klaus Janson's inks over John Romita Jr on an old 80's issue of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, I despised it.  It was such a departure of what I'd grown accustomed to on the title that I instantly hated it.  And I'm still not that fond of the issue in question.

But, today, I think he's the best inker there is for John Romita Jr.  Both artists have grown in such a way that their individual strengths mesh well together.  Look at their WOLVERINE run, or the BLACK PANTHER stuff.  Great collaboration.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Ron Chevrier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2006 at 11:27pm | IP Logged | 11  

I vaguely remember back in the late 80's/early 90's when Kyle Baker was getting a lot of inking work at Marvel. He did generally tend to overpower a lot of his pencillers. Although I seem to recall his inking something of Sal Buscema's and it was still unmistakably Sal underneath it. Probably owing more to the fact that Sal Buscema's dynamic composition is pretty unmistakable rather than Kyle Baker easing up on the inks. But it was interesting nontheless.

If there is a single penciller that I'd like to see Kevin Nowlan ink more of, it would have to be Jose Luis Garcia Lopez. Their Dr. Strangefate was so remarkably lush, in my opinion. It was an awesome blend of  Lopez's spot-on drawing technique and Nowlan's moody inks.

Pierce Askegren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2006 at 12:53am | IP Logged | 12  

Somewhere around here I have a Xerox of a Xerox of a letter from Wally Wood to a fan, discussing SKY MASTERS.  His (brief) comments were to the effect that, no matter how hard he tried, he just couldn't manage to make Kirby look like Wood.

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version