Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: 06.15.06 - New Commission Piece Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2006 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Tony, I agree completely. JB's extremely generous in making these commission images available to the rest of us-- it has to be time-consuming and there's maybe little besides our gratitude that might make it worthwhile-- but it wouldn't hurt also to thank those who bought a commission in the first place. On that basis: thank you!

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2006 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

QUOTE:
...we should make her leader in Cyclops' absence... over several issues, in order to play around with Warren's head

Mr. Byrne, was this also meant to interplay with what did appear, namely, the doubts about his fitness even to return to battle-ready form in a team context?

Tony Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2006 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I have a partially completed model of the Capital sitting on my hard drive, but what you see on this piece is hand drawn. No way I can really make use of the models on the commissions. I doubt the customers would want a big, honkin' piece of plastic film slapped in the middle of their drawings!

JB, there actually maybe a way to do this. Have you considered taking the printed version of a computer rendered image and projecting it onto the commission board using a "Lucy" and tracing it with pencil and then inking over that? It's alot of work, but it would allow you to merge the two.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Tony Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2006 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

By the way, JB, I prefer the Capitol you hand drew for me....so I wasn't referring to my commission.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 16 June 2006 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Excellent scene choice, Tony!

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2006 at 10:22am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Wow. These seem to get better and better.

Luke Smyth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2006 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Great commission, very dynamic.  Is the building in the background inked or in pencil?  Either way it has a nice effect of pushing it further into the background adding even more depth to the picture.

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2006 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

That's a real beauty John. I've been waiting for this scene to turn up in your commissions.

It'd be interesting to see your articulated-face version of Collossus now you mention it...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Maha Deva
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2006 at 7:00am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Very, very nice !

Wish I could afford one of those.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 June 2006 at 8:29am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Have you considered taking the printed version of a computer rendered image and projecting it onto the commission board using a "Lucy" and tracing it with pencil and then inking over that? It's alot of work, but it would allow you to merge the two.

There are two reasons, primarily, that I use the computer models in my work. The first is my basic anal-retentiveness. If I have a Batmobile appearing in several pages of a story -- as in, say, G2 -- I want that Batmobile to be consistent from panel to panel. Ditto something like the Blackhawks' planes, or a the X-Men's stratojet.

The second reason is that using the models can save time, if it's something I know I could draw anyway. Hence, archetectural applications. I know I can draw the White House, for instance, but why bother if I have a rendering of the White House that looks as if I drew it (since, technically, I did!). Same with the X-Mansion in later issues of HIDDEN YEARS.

In some instances, such as the time machine set in OMAC, or more recently with some of the vehicles in DOOM PATROL, or the Daily Planet globe, I will lightbox the image and trace it, but this tends to be more time consuming, and somewhat defeats the purpose of using the models in the first place.

Brian Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2006 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I love this comission, but it makes me real sad.  I know I can't enjoy what currently passes as the X-Men.  All I want to do is turn the clock back  about 20 years before all the characters got screwed up. Sigh.

Dennis Maloney
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2006 at 2:09pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

JB-Absolutely fantastic piece. Seeing it brought back fond memories of your days on the book, and Hidden Years as well (shame the 'Powers That Be" at Marvel saw fit to cancel HY...grumble,grumble...)To me that was THE X-Men team.

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version