Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 31 Next >>
Topic: Has the internet ruined comics? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 1  

I get what you're saying, John, but I guess I'm just used to years and years of knowing when, say, a favorite author is going to publish a novel months (sometimes a year) out.  Same with knowing an actor and/or director has signed to a particular project several years prior to the release of their project. Long before the internet, publications like MARVEL AGE and editorial/letters pages informed fans about upcoming projects in the coming year.  There is a certain OH WOW!! factor to seeing something you weren't expecting, absolutely, but I like to know ahead of time, for instance, that you're going to be on a book, be it DEMON, ACTION or what have you.  Gives me time to talk it up to others.  Same with other creators I like.  For me, the OH WOW!! factor of your work on DEMON wasn't diminished one iota just because I had seen preview art at MOC, for instance.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 12:53pm | IP Logged | 2  

Mr. Byrne, I am curious: if Mr. David was not authorized to be distributing photocopies of said Alpha Flight artwork, how did he obtain them in the first place? By definition, there would only be one set of originals. Were those in the possession of the Alpha Flight office? If so, did Mr. David surreptitiously photocopy those originals at the risk of losing his job? Pilfer them from someone else? Or was it common practice in the Marvel offices for photocopies of pages to "float" around -- even those that the editor wanted to keep under wraps, as you said was the case with this particular story?

And what do you believe Mr. David hoped to gain from this stunt you have accused him of pulling?

Beats me. Ingratiating himself with the fans? Who knows. I cannot read minds. I can only report what actually happened.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 12:58pm | IP Logged | 3  

Posted by: Peter David at August 29, 2006 02:47 PM

"Another flaw in the JB story, at a convention a fan comes over and states he got pages from Peter David, except I don't believe Peter David was that well known at the time. Saying "I got it from the guy at the Marvel Table" I could believe but specifically mentioning the name of a pro that fans really wouldn't have known at the time. That leads me to believe it was a retailer event, given PAD's postition at Marvel at the time retailers would know his name, average fans, not so much."

Excellent point. Guardian expired in 1984; my first published comic work didn't come out until 1985. It's not like my work on "Marvel Age" established my name in the consciousness of fans. So Byrne's latest lie becomes that much more obvious when faced with yet more indisputable facts. Sadly, most of the Byrnebots on his board will never look below the surface.

Oh, another popular Byrne lie, should it come up: Spider-Man 2099 #1 was the perfect example of a bad origin comic because the lead character never appears in costume. When it was pointed out to John that SM 2099 was in costume and in action for the first third of the book, he stated he didn't remember it that way. So I think we can chalk this one up to another of John's...how to put it...lapses.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 4  

John Byrne: "Beats me. Ingratiating himself with the fans? Who knows. I cannot read minds. I can only report what actually happened."

Fair enough. Was anyone able to determine, however, how someone in the sales department got their hands on photocopies of pages that the Alpha Flight office was trying to keep a tight lid on?

Again, begging your indulgence, but I am curious.

Clint Adams
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 5  

Listen, you young whippersnapper, finding out on the 'Net, or from PREVIEWS or WIZARD that your favorite artist is coming onto a book compares in no way to the OH WOW!!! factor of walking into the newsstand, or the drugstore, or whatever, and seeing the book for the first time on the rack.

THAT is what all this need-to-know-monts-in-advance crap has spoiled.

Its a feeling.  I used to ONLY get my comics from the supermarkets and convinience stores.  I used to go "Oh cool, Byrnes (or Perez) is on a book, I must buy this now.  I don't get that because i know who is on the book, what the book is about and usually how long they are on a book.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 6  

Was anyone able to determine, however, how someone in the sales department got their hands on photocopies of pages that the Alpha Flight office was trying to keep a tight lid on?

Nothing more complex there than walking into an office and picking up the artwork. Sales and Marketing did that all the time. Sometimes there were mad scrambles to retrieve artwork that was not supposed to get out. This time, that didn't happen.

As to the how and the why, if I have to chose between believing Peter David and believing Denny O'Neil, guess who wins?

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 7  

FYI, I will never join in the discussion at PAD's blog.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 8  

Its a feeling.  I used to ONLY get my comics from the supermarkets and convinience stores.  I used to go "Oh cool, Byrnes (or Perez) is on a book, I must buy this now.  I don't get that because i know who is on the book, what the book is about and usually how long they are on a book.

Maybe this will put it into some kind of perspective.

You're a loyal reader of UNCANNY X-MEN. You pick it up every other month, no matter who's on it. For a few months now you have been seeing Werner Roth artwork. Solid stuff, but nothing spectacular. Then, one day, with no warning, you pick up the latest issue and it's NEAL ADAMS.

You haven't had three months to think about this. There have not been three months worth of internet speculations. IT JUST HAPPENS.

Nothing in today's market could ever match that!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 9  

FYI, I will never join in the discussion at PAD's blog.

Posted by: Rod Odom at August 29, 2006 03:05 PM

For the record, neither of the 2 individuals in this thread who claimed to be Rod Odom are actually me. I'm Rod Odom - aka Joe Zhang, and this is my first post to this discussion.

JB has no reason to lie regarding this matter, while PAD is trying to hide his own guilt. How can anyone trust him?

+++++++++++++++++

Didn't you just join in?

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 10  

Nope, that's not me either. 

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 11  

It's disputes like this where I'd really like to see some sort of neutrally run forum for comic creators to discuss things. This he said/he said back and forth really just creates nothing but a bunch of animosity. You get people here bad mouthing the Peter David site and they do the same regarding this forum. Is there any real, tangible proof of this happening the way Peter David or JB has said? If so perhaps I missed it. I'm not interested in taking any "side" here. I just would like to see something to back this up either way. Then these useless little grudge matches can end. I don't plan on holding my breath waiting for it though.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 12  

"Nothing in today's market could ever match that!"

Perhaps the market is so oversaturated the publishers think they need hype and spoil their own books.

<< Prev Page of 31 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version