Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 31 Next >>
Topic: Has the internet ruined comics? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 11:10am | IP Logged | 1  

Twain said something along the lines of "the truth is great because it means you don't have to remember anything", right?

Smart girl, that Shania. Ahem

Something that has long fascinated me about certain segments of fandom, is the way they can memorize every comma of a comicbook's "continuity", yet when confronted with multiple and contradictory iterations of the same story, they will always insist that the person(s) generating the falsehoods are the ones telling the truth. This is how Bad Byrne Stories get started. "I don't care if Byrne could not possible have been at that convention because he was in the hospital in a full body cast! I believe he did what the story said he did!"

Back to Top profile | search

Jason Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 2  

Smart like a fox, with only her cunning to protect her....

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 11:19am | IP Logged | 3  

There isn't any truth anymore: Superboy Prime destroyed the continuity in the real world, too.

Sigh.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 12:10pm | IP Logged | 4  

BTW, I did not do the first post as "Rod Odom" on PAD's blog. It's someone else trying to stir up trouble. 

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 12:11pm | IP Logged | 5  

This is how Bad Byrne Stories get started.

The thing I don't get is how numerous people back up JB's version, while no one has come forward to say, "yes, David's version is right." 

No.  One.

I don't know, call me crazy if you want, but I tend to believe something when there's more than one person relating it. 

I like PAD's work, but stuff like this astounds me.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 6  

Clint Adams wrote:
Did you ever know that your favorite artist was going to be taking over a book until the month (or two before?)  I never did.  Likewise, did you know that your favorite artist wasn't going to be on a book until maybe the month (or two) before?  I never did.  These are things that the net has spoiled. 

How has that spoiled and/or ruined anything?  Knowing a creator is either coming on board or leaving a book spoils it how?  Quite the opposite, I find that helps me in planning my purchases.  You mention how you'd never have stuck around for Stern's run on SUPERMAN had you known he was taking over the book, but I still don't get how that was spoiled for you or had any affect on you picking up the book.  When you had Stern's book in hand, you could have checked the cover (I believe DC was running talent on the covers by then) and put it down if you don't like his writing.  Or, like I do, stick around for an issue to see if the new team holds your interest.  I just don't get how it's bad to know who's working on what comics when...unless, included in the information, are a ton of spoilers about upcoming stories.  

Scott Rowland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 7  

I just don't get why anyone would have done that.  Seems like when a reasonable person looked at the pages he'd double check before handing them out.  Just handing them out would be stupid. 

Wouldn't PAD have to go out of his way to get the pages to make xeroxes?   Or at least go out of his way to make sure those pages were among the ones he brought to the convention?  Was there already that much bad blood between JB and PAD at that time? 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 8  

I find it very telling that here, we've merely discussed the various versions of this story, while over at David's site, they've quickly degenerated into the usual, "The JBF is the laughingstock of the Internet" and, "Byrne is so bitter, he can't let go of something that happened 20 years ago!", and "Byrne is irrelevant!".

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 9  

How has that spoiled and/or ruined anything?  Knowing a creator is either coming on board or leaving a book spoils it how?

Listen, you young whippersnapper, finding out on the 'Net, or from PREVIEWS or WIZARD that your favorite artist is coming onto a book compares in no way to the OH WOW!!! factor of walking into the newsstand, or the drugstore, or whatever, and seeing the book for the first time on the rack.

THAT is what all this need-to-know-monts-in-advance crap has spoiled.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 12:47pm | IP Logged | 10  

"Byrne is irrelevant!"

I'm not irrelevant. I'm a hippopotamus.

Bill Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 11  

Mr. Byrne, I am curious: if Mr. David was not authorized to be distributing photocopies of said Alpha Flight artwork, how did he obtain them in the first place? By definition, there would only be one set of originals. Were those in the possession of the Alpha Flight office? If so, did Mr. David surreptitiously photocopy those originals at the risk of losing his job? Pilfer them from someone else? Or was it common practice in the Marvel offices for photocopies of pages to "float" around -- even those that the editor wanted to keep under wraps, as you said was the case with this particular story?

And what do you believe Mr. David hoped to gain from this stunt you have accused him of pulling?

These are not rhetorical questions. As I said, I am curious.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 12  

(I can hear the next joke coming, so I might as well say it first....)

Does a little girl want you for Christmas?

<< Prev Page of 31 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version