Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 28 Next >>
Topic: Ok...I am stumped (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2006 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 1  

They'd probably say the whole hand-wringing thing over nicknames for cartoon characters is silly.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 October 2006 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 2  

I think it's more an issue of taking a step back and looking at how the 8-year-old you felt about those characters. In many ways, retaining that feeling is crucial to retaining part of the love for the genre.

Bingo. It's about that sense of awe that used to go with reading these things, until the ennui became so overwhelming.

Jonathon Thezler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2006 at 10:05am | IP Logged | 3  

David, sincerest apologies on missing your earlier post, which does explain your point, and also shows that i was indeed going from a different direction to you.

Again, apologies.

David Whiteley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2006 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 4  

Thanks for that, Jonathan. I wasn't looking for an apology so much as making sure you understood what I was saying. It's appreciated, though.

John Benson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2006 at 12:09pm | IP Logged | 5  

Jonathon Thezler wrote:
What is 'this other place?'

www.Imwan.com

For logged in members there's a subforum called the WANderground. It was started as a place to post pictures of boobies and tell dirty jokes but there's a few threads that have become places to vent. Somebody gets banned "over here" they sometime go "over there" and posts "I CAN'T BELIEVE I GOT BANNED OVER THAT, CAN YOU BELIEVE HE (THEY) DIDN'T ARGREE WITH ME!!!???"

There's something of the exwife syndrome going on and it's funny as heck. As long as it keeps people from kicking cats I have no issue with it.

And in the spirit of self disclosure, there are times I disagree with JB but rather than join a heated arguement or start one I'll just wait until it comes up "over there" and add what I wanted to say in a way that no one takes offense at.

Edited by John Benson on 08 October 2006 at 12:10pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Dave Gabriel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2006 at 7:02pm | IP Logged | 6  

Gerry wrote:

"it would be interesting to see the folks who post in that other place, post the same things here where JB and the rest of us can see what they really think. "

Many have, some got called trolls and were banned.

I'm just sayin, 's'all....

David Whiteley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2006 at 7:11pm | IP Logged | 7  

There is a way to say what you really think and still be say it in a proper manner.

Also, many were called trolls because their first - and often only - contribution to the forum was to insult JB and the forum. Not a great way to make a good first impression.

I've visited IMWAN a couple of times and always seem to enter threads with lame JB slams. Could be just coincidence, but it definitely did not make me wat to stick around and explore more.... not that I have the time to commit to a new forum anyway.

Matt Linton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2006 at 7:58pm | IP Logged | 8  

While there are certainly some threads over there that contain some JB bashing/mocking, they don't characterize the IMWAN board any more than the random Marvel-bashing threads over here characterize this board.

Joe Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2006 at 8:10pm | IP Logged | 9  

This is so true.  Super nice people over at that IMWAN place that know how to cheer someone up when they have had a really excruciatingly long day at work.  Heck, I wasn't a member for 15 minutes before Linda won me over by simply saying hi...any teasing me about my last name.  It is fun and irreverent. 

David Whiteley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2006 at 8:34pm | IP Logged | 10  

This is why I specified that my experiences could have just been coincidence. Wasn't attempting to paint the whole board or membership with my comments.

Joe Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2006 at 8:38pm | IP Logged | 11  

I didn't think you were David.  Heck, stuff like that happens.  It is nearly the same thing as going into a great restaurant and ordering a bottle of wine that is turned.  Sure it was just a bottle of wine, and certainly it isn't the fault of the restaurant that it had gone bad, but it can still throw off an experience.

Stop back over sometime, play some games, make fun of my last name.  It will be a ball.

Rafael Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2006 at 9:12pm | IP Logged | 12  

Never posted there, but lurked a few times.

The atmosphere is so...welcoming, and friendly. A complete lack of the pissing matches that are part of parcel of every message board in existance.

They give MBs a bad name. :p

<< Prev Page of 28 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version