Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 25 Next >>
Topic: Drift: Captain America News BIG OLD HONKIN’ SPOILERS AHEAD (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 12:07pm | IP Logged | 1  

That woman character's claptrap doesn't make any sense:

(Paraphrasing)

"You, Captain America, fought for the American Dream. The country sucks nowadays. It's you fault, Captain America. You fought for the American Dream."

Huh?

Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 12:09pm | IP Logged | 2  

Mike wrote:
...That's assuming that the writer really doesn't want people to see Floyd as a buffoon....

True, but it reads like the character is being used as a mouthpiece for the writer to me. I could be wrong, of course.

Chris Back
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 12:10pm | IP Logged | 3  

I was seriously hoping this was a joke. 

It's almost as if someone is deliberately trying to destroy their characters.  Can they be this stupid? 

So...with that in mind....

Reasons Why Steve Rogers Aint Got Time Time For This Shit:

1)  Busy saving the world.

Add your own....
Back to Top profile | search

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 4  

What a pissy little bitch. And by that, I mean the writer. Miz Floyd is only slightly less of a dillhole.

Noah Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 5  

Matt -- Absolutely, yes.  But when you or I have music from our youths, our contemporaries recognize it as music from their youths, too.  As far as Bernie knew, Steve Rogers was a guy in his late 20s, early 30s, who had no music recorded after his own birth.  We'd need to get the scoop from Stern or JB I suppose, but I think what they were going for with that relationship was how difficult it could be for Steve Rogers to date a normal woman (as opposed to Sharon Carter, who had the "high adventure" lifestyle in common with Cap), since, in terms of popular culture, at the very least, he was out of touch with other people "his age."
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 6  

Kurt wrote:
...I'm no expert on the Captain America character, but it seems that I've seen him portrayed as being out of touch with pop culture in the past...

Here's what gets me, though... Even IF Captain America were out of touch with pop-culture (which is really not the same as being out of touch with the people, strictly-speaking), so what? Pop-culture is, basically, disposable. The Amercian Dream is not. Basic principles and ideas of freedom, decency, and, yes, mom and apple pie are everlasting ('Specially pie! Mmmm). In fifteen years, who will care about Paris Hilton, really? She'll be an answer to a trivia question.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 06 March 2007 at 12:16pm

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 7  

Taking advantage of my chance to post my favorite Emery Calame quote ever:

Here's how that conversation should have ended (right before Ben Urich dumped his coffee on the woman)--

Captain America:  "Actually Miss we had misguided narcissistic self important coddeled imbeciles in the 40's too. And just like you they could rattle off the most absurd nonsensical drivel and actually stare right into your eyes and expect you to try to understand what they were raving on about. It was a waste of time to try back then because it was really no more meaningful than the mooing of a cow. It's a waste of time now too. I knew they were stupid then, and I know that you're stupid now. You just got through asking me to fix a country that you previously claimed I know nothing about. Just how miniscule IS your attention span anyway? If it wasn't for me you'd have learned nothing but Hydra propaganda in grade school or you'd belong to Kang. And that's one of the cheerier possibilities. As far as I'm concerned you can Shut. Your. Doughnut. Hole. Say! Why don't you try and and go tell Namor some of this stuff? I'll tell you why not. Because he has little wings on his ankles. He'd just fly off on you!  "

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 8  

LOL, that's great, Mark!

Steve Horton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 12:49pm | IP Logged | 9  

"I'm loyal to nothing ... except the Dream."

Sums it up right there.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 10  

Marvel is so dead now. Is there anything good even left there that still exists to be saved?

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 11  

Marvel is so dead now. Is there anything good even left there that still exists to be saved?

No, there isn't.  I dropped all ^^***** titles just over two years ago now.  Every once in awhile I hear about something that piques my interest.  The latest is the upcoming WORLD WAR HULK.  The name sounds neat.  The idea of HULK battling a bunch of other heroes (I assume) sounds neat.  I do not plan to give it a try because I recently read that it will be divided up among multiple titles for a grand total of 35 parts to complete the story (which I believe does not count a few issues building up to it by the way).  Everything I have glanced at or has been suggested to me in the past 2+ years has left me nothing but disappointed.  As far as I'm concerned, all ^^***** is is a company that publishes Essential trade paperback collections.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brandon Pennison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 2:22pm | IP Logged | 12  

I think it is quite funny that the writer here used youtube, American Idol and myspace to shame Captain America.  I did not buy this issue, but I am speechless nonetheless.  I did buy most of the Civil War story and found it not so great at times and ok other times, but most of it felt kind of hollow.  I just didn't buy the fact that these were the Marvel heros I loved.  I cannot accept that this is the real Captain America either.  And sorry, but youtube, myspace and American Idol are not the pulse of America, not for educated Americans anyway.  Pasttime, mild interest, trainwreck, time waster, not PULSE of America.

<< Prev Page of 25 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version