Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: "Storytelling" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2007 at 9:56am | IP Logged | 1  

Perez is one of my favorites when it comes to this aspect of storytelling.  He can draw a page with Captain America and Hawkeye  interacting in civilian garb and the reader can tell which is which without the benefit of dialogue.  I don't think many artists today could do the same.

Speaking of the old masters, I was talking with my roommate the other day (he's an artist) and recounted the discussion on this board about how modern artists rely on the colorist and their figures don't have the "weight" older artists' figures did.  By way of illustration, I showed him a Neal Adams page from the "Half an Evil" story that was posted in the other thread (I think by JB) and one of the things he remarked on was how the positioning of the characters on that page led the reader from panel to panel and even to the next page.  It was a sad reminder to me how so much of that ability has been lost on the current generation of comic artists.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Derek Muthart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2007 at 10:17am | IP Logged | 2  

I'm kind of surprised Alex Ross is receiving so much criticism.  His panel to panel transitions may not be the smoothest, but overall the guy has skills. 

Calling him the "worst artist" whether it be comicbook or otherwise is not a fair assessment of his talent. 

If you want to see "worst artists" at work just go to comic art fans and look at some of the cheesecake in the most viewed sections. 

Edited by Derek Muthart on 16 March 2007 at 10:17am
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2007 at 10:22am | IP Logged | 3  

Matthew Turnage wrote:
...Perez is one of my favorites when it comes to this aspect of storytelling.  He can draw a page with Captain America and Hawkeye  interacting in civilian garb and the reader can tell which is which without the benefit of dialogue.  I don't think many artists today could do the same...

Heck, most newer artists can't handle a halfway recognizable Peter Parker. Joe Quesada is drawing a Spider-Man story, which "Wizard" previewed, and I really didn't know the guy in the story was Peter Parker until I read the dialogue.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2007 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 4  

That's another thing that's been lost. Many artists can't seemto make the heroes' civilian faces recognizable. Bruce Wayne and Peter Parker keep changing faces.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2007 at 10:27am | IP Logged | 5  

A perfect example of an artist doing characters' faces right is shown in the fact that JB's She-Hulk is instantly recognizable in a black and white commission.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2007 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 6  

Back when, such unique artists as John Buscema, Steve Ditko, Gil Kane, Gene Colan, Sal Buscema, Don Heck, Neal Adams, JB, George Perez, Dave Cockrum... and on and on, all could draw a Peter Parker that everyone familiar with the character could instantly recognize as being Peter Parker. These artists all had their own styles, so it can't be blamed on that.

Edited: typos.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 16 March 2007 at 10:30am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2007 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 7  

Exactly. Style should never interfere with clarity of storytelling.

Brandon Pennison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2007 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 8  

"That's another thing that's been lost. Many artists can't seemto make the heroes' civilian faces recognizable. Bruce Wayne and Peter Parker keep changing faces. "

And hairstyles from issue to issue.  As noted, you have to check dialogue sometimes to see who is who.  Batman can be confusing due to Tim Drake, Dick Grayson and Bruce Wayne.  If done right, the age alone would be obvious, but it is not always the case.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2007 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 9  

Yes, that's another thing. The reader should be able to tell the approximate age of the characters by the artwork. The art in Batman confidential, which is supposed to be about a younger Batman, early in his career, actually makes Bruce look older than the art in Detective lately. (in my opinion) 

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2007 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 10  

"Calling him the "worst artist""

But nobody called him that, Derek.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 March 2007 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 11  

…style…

So often an excuse for bad art. Basically, if three different artist draw the same character, you should get the impression that all three were looking at the same "live model".

I am reminded once again of Don Thompson's typically condescending response to CBG readers who complained about the casting of Michael Keaton as Bruce Wayne. So many different artists had drawn the character, Thompson sneered, that we didn't really know what he looked like. This was not, in fact, true, since the vast majority of those artists had stayed "on model" -- but even if it had been, we certainly knew what Bruce Wayne didn't look like -- no version of him had ever had thinning, curly hair, buck teeth and a receding chin!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2007 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 12  

I've enjoyed Ross' art for Justice, since he's painting over Doug Braithwaite's pencils, and thus is working without the use of live models.

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version