Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Scarlet Witch - A History (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 April 2007 at 9:51am | IP Logged | 1  

This morning I found myself looking at a page of Micro-Heroes of the Scarlet Witch. I was struck, as I often am when I see such displays, by the degree to which the "loss" of a character can be seen in the costumes that character wears. Setting aside the various images of Wanda in civvies, or in outfits that represent changes wrought by specific story arcs, on this page especially we see a sudden, abrupt slice thru the Witch's history, as she is recast as a "hot babe" who flaunts it, instead of her traditional characterization as a rather demure young lady who also happened to be very "hot".

Altho these images reflect only Wanda's history, they are sadly representative of the industry as a whole, as the "bad girl" motif began to overwhelm the minor niceties of characterization. Toward the end of the page we see images that seem almost to suggest Wanda trying -- not entirely successfully -- to reaffirm her true identity. Too little, too late?

Back to Top profile | search

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2007 at 10:01am | IP Logged | 2  

It's like the old cliche of the shy, chaste girl who preaches abstinence and virginity until she finally has sex with her long time boyfriend. Then, shortly after, she starts dating the football team.

I know it's a common cliche in more lurid stories. I think Tori Spelling's character went through something like that in Beverly Hills 90210 (yes, I watched it. I'm sorry.) Britney Spears seems like an obvious real world example.

The thing is, it's always seemed like such an ugly, even misogynist, way to develop a character that it just takes me out of the story.

Michael Everall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2007 at 10:09am | IP Logged | 3  

Too late.

After reading a recent comic where Hawkeye nails her in the coital sense, just so he can. I have little respect for Marvel or their characters.

It used to be that the nice thing about the Avengers was...it *wasn't* the X-men. It was fairly easy to ignore the X-men for years because they had become a separate universe that I didn't really care about. Now it seems that the current Writer wants to bring all the crap that makes the X-men so ridiculous into the Avengers as well. Oh well...guess there is always DC or Dark Horse...or something else...

Ok, to swing this back on subject...Busiek/Perez's run featured one of the more revealing outfits in her career. I guess it makes sense, because they were sort of playing off the gypsy stereotype. I prefer Wanda as a stronger more conservative woman though.

Michael Connell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2007 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 4  

It's things like this that changed me from a 25 title per month guy, into someone who only buys trades of the old stuff.

Ben Mcvay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2007 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 5  

I loved those Gypsy costumes during Busiek/Perez. That Wonder Man redesign was pretty cool too.

Ben Mcvay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2007 at 10:54am | IP Logged | 6  

Also, apparently Ultron is now a "hot babe".

David Barker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2007 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 7  

If I'm not mistaken Ultron is a replica "in appearance" of an earlier Janet Van Dyne.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 24 April 2007 at 12:17pm | IP Logged | 8  

I loved those Gypsy costumes during Busiek/Perez

I never cared for it.  I know it was meant to evoke her gypsy heritage, but I just seemed out of character for her to be showing so much skin.  Worse, that had to be one of the most impractacle costume I've ever seen a superhero wear.

Edited by Thom Price on 24 April 2007 at 12:17pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bruce Buchanan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2007 at 12:38pm | IP Logged | 9  

...she is recast as a "hot babe" who flaunts it, instead of her traditional characterization as a rather demure young lady who also happened to be very "hot".

JB, I had the same trouble with some recent depictions of the Scarlet Witch's D.C. counterpart, Zatanna.

I've always liked the Zatanna character and thought her traditional costume - the tuxedo-like outfit with the top hat and fishnets - was a pretty cool one. But some recent stories have had her dressed as if she was preparing for a Victoria's Secret shoot.

I just don't get it. I'm fine with some female characters being cast as the "bad girl/hot babe" types, but does every female character have to be depicted this way? Especially those with a long and dignified history?

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 April 2007 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 10  

Zatanna has traditionally been classy. Unfortunately, we live in an age in which too many younger male artists think "classy" means a navel ring and fake boobs -- quite possibly because that's what they see in their wives/girlfriends.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2007 at 1:02pm | IP Logged | 11  

I blame Image. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2007 at 1:17pm | IP Logged | 12  

My favorite of the "modern" outfits is the black-and-red Deodato costume from around the time of "The Crossing."  Pity that was immediately followed the Liefeld-ized version of the original suit in "Heroes Reborn."
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version