Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: What If... You Could Write A ’What If...’ Story? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2007 at 1:02pm | IP Logged | 1  

Reading the thread about the smartest person in the Marvel Universe got me to thinking about Peter Parker. It's clear that in the comics, Peter is not only very intelligent, but pretty nearly super-intelligent. With that in mind, I thought about a "What If...?" story: "What If Peter Parker Have Never Gained Super Powers?"

In such a story, Uncle Ben would still die as the result of nobody stopping the thief that killed Ben from escaping from the police officer. In fact, it could be that Peter Parker got famous for some invention he created that got him on TV, and also gave him the big head he had as Spider-Man in the original version of the story. That way, it could still be Peter that intentionally fails to stop the thief from escaping the law.

The death of his uncle due to his refusal to act against a criminal, could still lead to Peter fighting against injustice, but using his inventions to do so instead of super powers.

Does anyone else have any "What If...?" stories?

Back to Top profile | search | www

Charles Jensen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2007 at 1:27pm | IP Logged | 2  

It isn't "comic" related per se.. but I have been toying with the idea of having a "art challenge" here on the JBF(in the fan fic section) where the assignment is to rewrite the ending of the first Ghostbusters film and make it an origin story where they all get super/paranormal powers. And part of the challenge would be who could give them the coolest powers. I always felt the original Ghostbusters was heavily influenced by the Fantastic Four. And I feel the Ghostbusters would have had much greater "legs" if they did have powers. It would have made a much better movie franchise, IMHO. But I was worried no one else would be interestred in doing it so I haven't had the onions to throw down the gauntlet.

BTW.. I have also thought the same thing about Peter parker. I have always seen him as a junior Tony Stark.

Edited by Charles Jensen on 12 July 2007 at 1:28pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brendan Howard
Byrne Robotics Member
FAQ Master Supreme

Posted: 12 July 2007 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 3  

I like your story idea a lot, Matt! In concept, very similar to JB's Fantastic Four story in What If?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2007 at 1:33pm | IP Logged | 4  

Hmm. Tricky. It ws my impression that the gist of any What If story was "We did it right the first time, so if we'd done it differently everything would unravel and the world would be doomed."

With that in mind, a Peter Parker without super-powers would not be photographing Spider-man for the daily Bugle. He would not "grow out of" his gangly nerdy appearance thanks to the regular work-oouts he got as Spider-man. He would not have the POWER to assume great responsibility. He would however have fewer impediments to full scholarships and an academic career.
So a few years down the line I see him as single, nerdy, succesful scientist. Aunt May dead. At this point several of the supporting cast, most notably John Jameson would be dead, but Norman Osborn would still be alive, and still be the Green Goblin. Peter should work for him.

After that you'd have to pick a situation where Spider-man saved the day directly or indirectly and say that without Spider-man the world ended. I guess the traditional thing would be to have him become a herald of Galactus. Hey, let's make it AFTER Galactus has already half eaten the earth.

Maybe Doom and Osborn work together to use the Surfer's power against Galactus and Peter thwarts their plans by letting himself be consumed by the Power Cosmic. Yeah, That'd work.
And then you get a riff on how Peter as Galactus' herald has to decide the fates of entire planets. With great power comes great responsibility.

Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2007 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 5  

Okay, if Peter hadn't been bitten by the spider, he probably would have been at home the night the Burglar broke in. And, since his ego would not have been pumped up by the taste of fame he received in the "real" universe, he might have instinctively tried to be a hero and gotten himself shot.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2007 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 6  

Knut wrote:
...It ws my impression that the gist of any What If story was "We did it right the first time, so if we'd done it differently everything would unravel and the world would be doomed"...

Not always. There were some that had happy endings.

Bradley Dean
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2007 at 2:19pm | IP Logged | 7  

I missed those Matt, I read so many sad What If storries that I avoided picking up the book. I was always afraid that if the different What If Universes could have such bad luck what about the actual Marvel Universe? Was it destined to go to the shitter the same way so many of the What If comics?

One of my favorite What If comics was a joke issue, where it did different Marvel Universe spoofs. Aunt May as Iron Maiden, Black Widow eating Spiderman, Daredevil was deaf, She-Hulk done in a I Love Lucy fasion. I love seeing Morning funnies style Marvel heros in a  comical kind of way on occasion.

Brad Danson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2007 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 8  

...the gist of any What If story was "We did it right the first time, so if we'd done it differently everything would unravel and the world would be doomed"..

There were too many of those horrible endings.  I didn't want doom and gloom out of my What If stories; I wanted to know what other route the creators might have possibly taken.  For that reason, Phoenix: the Untold Story was my favorite What If story

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2007 at 3:02pm | IP Logged | 9  

"What If Power Man Had Killed Colleen Wing?"  (Power Man #48)

Brian Sagar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2007 at 3:05pm | IP Logged | 10  

The "What If the Thing Continued to Mutate" book had a very happy ending.  It is not perfect, but I like the What If version better than the original Two In One story that it derives from.

Edited by Brian Sagar on 12 July 2007 at 3:06pm

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 12 July 2007 at 3:32pm | IP Logged | 11  

I wrote an outline for a What If ...? story when I was in high school. It would have been What if Bucky had lived?

The main thrust was that the Nazi's had found Bucky frozen after the explosion. They knew The Red Skull couldn't live forever so they decided to create a new one and brainwashed Bucky while he was in a catatonic state. Then when the original was too old he would be the new Skull. This would have been the reveal after the main story played out. The story would have been that Captain America heard underground rumors that The Red Skull had returned from the dead and was planning a nuclear threat with Baron Zemo's son. Along the way to finding The Skull and Zemo, he would uncover clues to reveal the new Skull to be Bucky. He would be so overwhelmed by the news, he would be easily captured by Zemo's men. In the climax, Cap wouldn't be able to stop the bomb from exploding, but would have made Bucky remember who he was. With only Bucky able to stop the bomb he leaps aboard and sacrifices his life to stop the bomb from reaching Washington DC. The Watcher would have gave a summary that no matter which universe he watches, Bucky always dies a hero.

Edited by Paul Greer on 12 July 2007 at 3:36pm

Brad Danson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2007 at 3:34pm | IP Logged | 12  

"The man thrust..."

You lost me already.

Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version