Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Q to Forum about 1963 and Lost Generation (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2007 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 1  

I was reviewing some of the comic related articles I have saved on my hard drive. One of the documents was about the 1963 series from Image Comics. As I read it, I remembered what made the series so good: each of the books was self-contained (except the book 6), each one explained the power of the character, their relationship of the powered and non-powered characters, finally I knew they would win, but not how. The Lost Generation was similar but had more complexity that I enjoyed. My questions to the Forum are:

1. Are these books example of "Silverage Stories" or just good writing?
  2. Are there any other examples of series or books that are written in this style you like?
  3. Do you like single issue stores?

Edited by John Young on 15 September 2007 at 11:31am
Back to Top profile | search

John Harris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2007 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 2  

1. A bit of both. I really enjoyed Horus by the way.
2. Some of the MC2 stuff ( i.e. Last Planet Standing)
3.YES.  I actually prefer them now days.

Edited by John Harris on 15 September 2007 at 12:02pm

Matthew Lawrenson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2007 at 12:17pm | IP Logged | 3  

I enjoyed them at the time, though that time was a long time ago.

Now I see them as another example of Alan Moore's sneering.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2007 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 4  

Matthew Lawrenson, what do you mean by sneering?  Is it that he is making fun of the marvel age, or style of writing? Or "look I can write anything, and you will eat it up like pap!"

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2007 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 5  

Moore was sneering at Stan Lee because he believed that Lee had taken credit for things that Kirby had actually done. He was basing this view on things Kirby had said in interviews, I believe. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 September 2007 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 6  

1964 was fairly typical latter-day Moore -- "nostalgia" for stuff about which he is clearly not nostalgic.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2007 at 5:31pm | IP Logged | 7  

I'm fairly certain Moore met Jack Kirby and probably supported Kirby's views about the Stan Lee issue. I don't blame him; Stan Lee could've stopped being such a company man and treated Kirby like an equal instead of a disgruntled employee. That might've made a difference.

It gets pretty tiresome where critics of Moore are concerned. It's easy to take shots at Moore's "sneering". Moore takes on a pretty straight-forward pean of love for Marvel in the early 60s called 1963 and gets derided endlessly. What's the point?

And yet we get Warren Ellis and good old Grant Morrison producing work that is heralded as a "return" to Silver Age story-telling, which is horseshit. And Frank Miller has been churning out flimsy superhero work since DK2. But I don't hear the label of comic book Antichrist when their names are evoked.

Moore isn't any ideal comic book creator of mine, but the man does know comics and does have an abiding love for them. How he filters that through his system is what should be judged.

Blame the comic book companies, and particularly the editors, for Moore's excesses. They flung wide the doors and Moore went with his own flaky impulses; the companies desired change and they got it, and so did the readers.

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2007 at 6:02pm | IP Logged | 8  

I have to admit there's one or two Moore stories I like.  Not so with Ellis or Morrison...

I loved Lost Generation, never read 1963, and second anything that is "M2"--the Spider-Girl universe stories.  I even loved the just finished Fantastic Five, as DeFalco seems to have gotten a better hold on characters he used to really struggle writing.

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Harris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2007 at 6:31pm | IP Logged | 9  

I loved the entire 1963 line. I reread it every couple of years and the only regret I have is that is was never completed. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 September 2007 at 7:40pm | IP Logged | 10  

Stan Lee could've stopped being such a company man and treated Kirby like an equal instead of a disgruntled employee.

•••

Sorry -- I can't remember ---- where was your office up at Marvel in the early Seventies?

Charles Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2007 at 11:12pm | IP Logged | 11  

I found all the 1963 titles in the 50cent box a few years ago, I was curious about them but they have very little of the charm of the early marvels, the look is right and the stories "seem" accurately done if thats the right word but a lot is missing and i can't put my finger on it. They do seem a little cynical or something.

Anyway Lost Generation Kicks 1963's @$$.

I love Lost Generation and it had more of the fun of old Marvel than 1963 did, anyway I guess they both deserve a try. The Fantastic Four series by Bruce Timm and some Kirby type artists that was done years ago is pretty good, it was a little ambitious and didn't really deliver but it had some nice moments and had the old flavor, like JB is good at capturing with his retro stuff.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 September 2007 at 5:46am | IP Logged | 12  

1963 suffered the same problems as DC's "Silver Age" series -- you simply cannot do stuff like this unless you a prepared to play it absolutely straight. Trouble is, too many writers and artists in the field today think the "old stuff" was "goofy' -- and perhaps it was, if you were more than 12 years old. But when you approach something like this, it's that 12 year old who has to be in charge, not the cynical, "wink at the audience" mentality of a 30+.

Give us a group of superheroes, one of whom has a Moon for a head, and you're not doing a homage to the Fantastic Four, you're doing a less funny version of the Inferior Five. And the Inferior Five was not a great idea to begin with!

Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version