Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 17 Next >>
Topic: JB at what specific incident did you stop liking Wolverine? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2007 at 6:09pm | IP Logged | 1  

Romulus and Remus, two brothers raised by a wolf, that created the Roman nation, employ lupine soldiers (Wolverine and Sabertooth) to do the dirty work.

Hmmm.  It's better than Origin.  It still doesn't reveal their true origins, but it seems like a stretch. 

Having Wolverine be that old is out of context for the character.  All previous references to Wolverine's age hinted that he was hundreds rather than thousands of years old.

Ah, I don't know why I'm bitching about it so much.  Eventually, Marvel will have a Crisis like event, the character will be ret-conned, and just like Dallas I can pretend it was all a dream.

Back to Top profile | search

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2007 at 6:12pm | IP Logged | 2  

Right. Don't sweat it. You'll feel better.

It's a wonderful moment as a fan when you realize that nothing is set in stone and can and will change on the whims of new editors and creators. Better yet, you can simply IGNORE the stuff you don't like! I think most of us have an "ideal" Marvel universe where all of these character live blissfully (relatively) for ever and ever...

Daniel Kendrick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2007 at 6:15pm | IP Logged | 3  

That one panel put an end to all those debates along the lines of "Is Doom horribly disfigured (the Stan Lee view) or did he suffer just a tiny nick that marred his perfection and his ego equated that scar to total disfigurement (the Jack Kirby view)?"

Actually the way I read it John had his cake and ate it too.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2007 at 6:22pm | IP Logged | 4  

We need the back-story to Wolverine like we need a prequel to Sergio Leone's "Man With No Name" trilogy.

Wolverine at his best is an unsettling character: vicious but honourable; far from a paragon and more anti-hero than hero. There should be an air of mystery about him, this edge that you (as well as his teammates) just don't quite know where things stand. I don't see how you improve the character when you blunt that edge through a ham-handed back-story.

The art of a really good reveal is that you raise more questions than you answer. It's a natural extension of the Samuel R. Delany thought that "Endings, to be useful, must be inconclusive."

Edited by Matthew McCallum on 05 October 2007 at 6:43pm

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2007 at 6:42pm | IP Logged | 5  

Matthew McCallum wrote: That one panel put an end to all those debates along the lines of "Is Doom horribly disfigured (the Stan Lee view) or did he suffer just a tiny nick that marred his perfection and his ego equated that scar to total disfigurement (the Jack Kirby view)?"

Daniel Kendrick: Actually the way I read it John had his cake and ate it too.

Hey, you put a glowing-hot faceplate on anybody's kisser and it's going to leave a mark!

But I'm referring to that close-up scene in the mirror. After years of being bathed in shadow and shown in long shots, Von Doom's injuries were there on display for all to see.

Now, Doom disfigured HIMSELF when he put on the smoldering mask, and that's why that debate was so significant. If he was horribly scarred from the blast, affixing a red-hot mask to his marred flesh is certainly painful, but not as extreme as a man who craves perfection to the point that a mere blemish may as well be total disfigurement and he completes the job himself.

It's like the "Is Batman psychotic?" debate. Some say, "Of course, how could he not be?" Others, like myself, feel he's the last sane man in an insane world. Either way, I don't want to read a comic where Bruce Wayne undergoes a full psychological assessment and the question is answered definitively. The debate is just too much fun!

Edited by Matthew McCallum on 05 October 2007 at 6:43pm

Aki Himmanen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2007 at 7:29pm | IP Logged | 6  

Derek Muthart wrote:
Romulus and Remus, two brothers raised by a wolf, that created the Roman nation, employ lupine soldiers (Wolverine and Sabertooth) to do the dirty work.

Interesting, especially since the wolverine is part of the family mustelidae, and is a relative of the weasel and the mink.

Edited by Aki Himmanen on 05 October 2007 at 7:30pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Svensson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2007 at 7:40pm | IP Logged | 7  

What's worse is learning why Marvel picked that specific origin for Wolverine. Demographics. By making Wolverine a rich little boy they hoped to make him more palatable for their target audience, rich little boys. Bill Jemas revealed as much in an interview.

Personally, I think that Marvel should have released an anthology of different takes on Wolverine's origin so that none of them would be right. Like how DC did the Secret Origin of the Phantom Stranger. Chris Claremont's origin. Len Wein's origin. Roy Thomas's origin. John Byrne's origin. Cockrum's origin.

Michael Huber
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2007 at 7:54pm | IP Logged | 8  

Derek Muthart wrote:

Interesting, especially since the wolverine is part of the family mustelidae, and is a relative of the weasel and the mink.
------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------------------------------------

Wel, now I have to ask,,,what family does the sabertooth belong to?

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2007 at 7:57pm | IP Logged | 9  

Kitty cat

Peter Svensson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2007 at 8:03pm | IP Logged | 10  

But I'm referring to that close-up scene in the mirror. After years of being bathed in shadow and shown in long shots, Von Doom's injuries were there on display for all to see.

That wasn't an objective shot. That was what Doom wanted to remember. It was a biased account of events.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2007 at 9:08pm | IP Logged | 11  

I like the character as an icon, but the current version is simply one I'm unable to have any interest in (James Howlett?!)

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2007 at 9:16pm | IP Logged | 12  

QUOTE:
Yeah, they haven't yet fully revealed what's going on, but apparently Wolverine and Sabretooth were lupine soldiers working for a guy named Romulus in ancient times.  Or, they're remembering someone else's life.  It also involves Wild Child.  Ok, my head hurts...

The good news is this seems to undo the Origin story.  The bad news is that it's as bad as an idea.  What are they, like werewolves or something?

<< Prev Page of 17 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version