Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 146 Next >>
Topic: Spider-Man rebooted (spoilers) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2008 at 6:48pm | IP Logged | 1  

QUOTE:
I'm not sure if this has already been discussed...but what's the consensus on the thrice-monthly thing?  It obviously came about because they had one book (AMAZING) selling more than the other two Spider-monthlies combined, but is trying to squeeze more money out of the AMAZING audience really the best way to deal with that?

It's an interesting way to get around the whole "second class" status the other books have.  The downside is that some people simply don't want to buy three books starring the same character.  And of course you run the risk that fans who are fond of one writer won't like the others and will drop the whole thing.

That said, the whole thrice monthly round robin (which appears to be planned all the way to #600 (which is also when I think we'll go back to seperate books...)) sounds like it'll be an interesting experiment.  Plus it's the only thing that has me remotely interesting in sticking around.  If it was still three books with their own creative teams, I doubt I'd bother.  It was a lot of fun the first time, but I have no particular need to see "repeats with a twist."  But since they're throwing in some new storytelling tricks (for Spider-Man anyway), I'll give it a fair shot.

Back to Top profile | search

Mike Murray
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2008 at 7:06pm | IP Logged | 2  

I went to Newsarama.com, this story is on their front page.  It's weird to read these long, impassioned posts from people who must surely be too old to be complaining about Spider-Man comic books.  Spider-Man is a character for children.  Nothing wrong with an adult who wants to read Spider-Man comic books, but an adult complaining about them seems ridiculous to me.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 January 2008 at 7:10pm | IP Logged | 3  

This is what has gone wrong with fandom, largely as a result of the shrinking marketplace/audience. Those adults who would write impassioned complaints about the books used to belong to the outer fringes. We in the office mostly read their letters with a combination of laughter and loathing. The bulk of our audience were kids, teens, and adults who got it. You know -- the ones we drove away.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2008 at 8:45pm | IP Logged | 4  

*Our Worlds at War (new Big Bang that reset bits and pieces of the DCU)

*Return to Krypton (revealing that Superman's origin may not have
happened the same way it did in the Man of Steel mini-series)

*Superman #200 ended with another Big Bang that reset history, too,
didn't it?

*Birthright (the new "official" post-Crisis origin, supplanting Man of Steel)

---

Return to Krypton was revealed as a sham by Brainiac. Birthright I don't
think can be considered a reset because of Superman #200, which
showed Superman being confused among his origins as depicted in the
Silver Age, Man of Steel, and Birthright. (Later revealed to be Superboy-
Prime punching reality.) Even post-Birthright, elements of the Man of
Steel Krypton were shown in the comics.

What was reset in Our Worlds at War?

Peter Svensson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2008 at 8:57pm | IP Logged | 5  

Nothing, though it was given as a possible back door retcon in case anyone wanted to change things. Like Genesis did as well. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2008 at 10:12pm | IP Logged | 6  

Is Spider-Man still an Avenger?

Brad Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2008 at 10:32pm | IP Logged | 7  

Pros:

Spider-Man is again recognizable and not f-ed up beyond belief.  Hopefully vile enemies like Venom and Carnage are also banished.

Cons:

Marvel has now crossed the line and become DC.  Continuity used to be the fine line that marked the true difference between Marvel and DC.  Now that Marvel has done this, basically ALL the stories from about Amazing Spider-Man 200 and on are useless and have no place in Amazing Spider History.  If the last 20 years or so don't mean anything, then what's to make you believe that any future story will really mean anything?  That's why I could never really get too deep into DC characters... the stories don't really mean anything because somewhere down the line, that story won't have mattered.

I think of it like this:  Baseball has SO many games in a season, that any one particular game doesn't really mean anything.  But a single Football game can make or break a season, especially in college.  So a Football game is so much more interesting to watch over a baseball game because the stakes are high.  It used to be that a Marvel story meant a lot because that story might affect all future stories of that character because continuity was consistent.  (Continuity starting in 1961 of course - NOT attempting to deal with Captain America in the 1950's - I wasn't around for that).

So:  End result - I like that Spider-Man is back to normal, but I will no longer care about the character and I will never buy the book, because now nothing matters to the character - Mephisto can just undo whatever I invested in anyway.

Final note - I think the art on that synopsis page was horrific, especially Peter Parker's face, but again, that's just me, lone voice crying in the wilderness.

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2008 at 11:18pm | IP Logged | 8  

Hopefully vile enemies like Venom and Carnage are also banished.

They're not.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2008 at 11:51pm | IP Logged | 9  

I don't think anyone much cares about Carnage or any of the other "offspring" but Venom still represents a lot of money.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2008 at 12:11am | IP Logged | 10  

According to that 2-page spread, Harry Osborn "still hates Spidey with a vengeance".

Since when does Harry (in his normal, sane, non-Goblin mode) hate Spider-Man (aside from in the movies, that is)?

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2008 at 3:34am | IP Logged | 11  

They should just give up and make Harry a herald of Galactus. At this point they might as well mix everything into a big insane stew.

Edited by Emery Calame on 08 January 2008 at 3:35am

Michael Heide
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2008 at 4:05am | IP Logged | 12  

"That sort of fits with Jonah's anythng-to-sell-papers attitude. But. . . not having read with great diligence for a while, where is Spiderman (sic) returning from?"

They skipped a few months between Amazing #545 and 546, kinda like DC's One Year Later books. In that time, Spider-Man was nowhere to be seen. And I don't worry about the typo in the background. 90% of the people in the real world don't spell Spider-Man with the hyphen. So why should it be different in the Marvel Universe?

Oh, and about that two-page spread:

Probably the healthiest attitude about this.

<< Prev Page of 146 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version