Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 146 Next >>
Topic: Spider-Man rebooted (spoilers) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2008 at 5:30am | IP Logged | 1  

I am positive there has been a new "They #$%*ed up Spider-Man for good this time" thread at least once a month here for the last two years...and with good reason.
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Paul Leyland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2008 at 5:45am | IP Logged | 2  

"Hopefully vile enemies like Venom and Carnage are also banished"

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Kids love Venom.  Y'know those kids that we KEEP BANGING ON ABOUT when we say "more kids need to read comics".  And yet the amount of old timers (including Sam Raimi) who don't like Venom, ignoring that there is a young, vibrant fanbase that do, are part of the problem.

Andy

Michael Heide
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2008 at 6:23am | IP Logged | 3  

I think the main problem with Venom is that there was not enough characterization spread to thin with too many appearances in the nineties. Envy/Revenge is a great starting point to start fleshing out a villain, but Venom didn't go past that and yet appeared everywhere. Later, he became so popular that the editors gave him his own books. But they realized that Envy/Revenge is not enough, so they gave him that "Lethal Protector of the Innocent" angle. And that's about it. Even when the symbiote went to Scorpion, it hasn't changed. It's still "Rah, I hate Spider-Man", but nothing else. Even Warren Ellis can't make the character interesting, and that's saying a lot.

Carnage is even less interesting. There is no characterization at all once you get past his name. Carnage. That's all there is to the character. The Joker is about chaos and disorder, but at least the Joker's versatile. Cesar Romero, Mark Hamill (in the Animated Series) and Heath Ledger are completely different characters, and yet all of them are clearly the Joker. You couldn't do that with Carnage. However, I'll admit that Carnage was good for one single story: Should Spider-Man kill a villain under extreme measures, or should he keep him alive, even though that might mean more innocent victims at a later point? No he shouldn't, end of story. Carnage was okay for that. But for nothing else. Spider-Carnage was an okay story, because it was a nice little mystery (and a cool visual), but that was about it. But after that, they really lost it. The Carnage Silver Surfer? Too much. When Brian Bendis had the Sentry kill Carnage in an early issue of New Avengers, I was surprised. But the character won't be missed.

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2008 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 4  

There was a rumour that Carnage will be in the next Spidey flick, so he'll be baaaack..... <g>
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2008 at 7:46am | IP Logged | 5  

If the last 20 years or so don't mean anything, then what's to make you believe that any future story will really mean anything?

SER: I don't get this. Stories mean something if they're well-written and entertaining. The Bob Haney /Jim Aparo Brave and Bolds I like to pull out don't count in continuity but they mean more to me than any Batman comic published in the last decade.

Spider-Man comics have not "meant something" since the mid-80s and they definitely have not "meant anything" in the past 5 to 10 years. Continuity has nothing to do with it.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Kids love Venom.

SER: Venom is a great concept but he was doomed in his first appearance. A character who knows Spider-Man's true identity will quickly become a one-trick pony (or worse an "anti-hero" who our hero makes deals with). I don't think there was any plan for Venom outside of his first appearance.

I can't believe I'm saying this (especially since I actually haven't seen the film) but I prefer the film concept of Venom -- Venom should truly be the "evil Spider-Man," so I like his being around the same age (and physical shape) of Spider-Man and Eddie Brock being very much a Peter Parker "gone wrong." Eddie Brock, the bad '80s body builder from the comics, didn't work for me.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew Paul Leyland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2008 at 7:48am | IP Logged | 6  

"I think the main problem with Venom is that there was not enough characterization spread to thin with too many appearances in the nineties."

Oh, I'm not arguing that Venom is a great character or anything (one of the things I thought the third movie got right was giving Eddie Brock some character) but that there are an awful lot of people (kids) who like Venom.  Once we start retconning where do we stop?  Just because we old timers don't like a character that young 'uns love, aren't we denying them?

Andy

Bruce Buchanan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2008 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 7  

It's weird to read these long, impassioned posts from people who must surely be too old to be complaining about Spider-Man comic books. 

As opposed to the 18 pages on this thread! :)

Andrew is right - Venom is an extremely popular character with younger fans and he's not going anywhere, nor should he.

Actually, I'm not sure why so many folks here dislike the character. The "mirror image" villain is a great concept - see Professor Zoom, Sinestro, etc. I thought Venom's first battle with Spider-Man in ASM #300 made for a really good story.

My only problem with Venom is that he became an anti-hero in the mid-1990s. Considering he murdered a police officer in his first appearance, he should always remain a villain. Put him on the side of evil and he's a great foe for Spider-Man.

Can't say I've ever cared much for Carnage, though. He generally comes across as a cheap knock-off.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2008 at 9:31am | IP Logged | 8  

There are/were a bunch of those Venom "offspring" characters.  That's one of the reasons Venom became an anti-hero - to help defeat them.  It's also a reason why the idea became kind of tired.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2008 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 9  

I liked Venom prior to Amazing Spider-Man 375.  That's the issue where Venom and Spider-Man decide not to fight anymore and Venom swings off into the realm of Over Exposure.  

Glenn Greenberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2008 at 10:04am | IP Logged | 10  

<<<Since when does Harry (in his normal, sane, non-Goblin mode) hate
Spider-Man (aside from in the movies, that is)?>>>

Exactly!

And even in the movies, the only reason Harry hates Spider-Man is the
death of his father.

So if Norman never died in the comics, why would Harry ever have reason
to hate Spider-Man?

Maybe Norman is going back into his box under the ground, and the guy
walking around now who looks and acts like Norman is really a Skrull. Or
Harry blames Spider-Man for the death of Gwen.

Glenn Greenberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2008 at 10:07am | IP Logged | 11  

<<<When Brian Bendis had the Sentry kill Carnage in an early issue of
New
Avengers, I was surprised. But the character won't be missed.>>>

Apparently not! I've read every issue of NEW AVENGERS, and I don't
remember that happening AT ALL!

<<<Can't say I've ever cared much for Carnage, though. He generally
comes across as a cheap knock-off.>>>

Which is exactly what he is! He came about at a time when the editorial
philosophy of the Spider-Man office was, "If something works, exploit it
to the max until you run it right into the ground!"

Edited by Glenn Greenberg on 08 January 2008 at 10:11am

Todd Douglas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2008 at 10:17am | IP Logged | 12  

QUOTE:
<<<When Brian Bendis had the Sentry kill Carnage in an early issue of
New
Avengers, I was surprised. But the character won't be missed.>>>

Apparently not! I've read every issue of NEW AVENGERS, and I don't
remember that happening AT ALL!

And it certainly couldn't have happened "on panel."  This is Bendis, after all...so anything remotely resembling action must be sacrificed for more talking heads repeating the same 2 or 3 lines over and over.

<< Prev Page of 146 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version