Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 1093 Next >>
Topic: US Presidential Election (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2008 at 10:07am | IP Logged | 1  

I'm kind of hoping for Obama. Not because of his politics, but because the Democrats need somebody who is inspiring and doesn't look like he's going to back down from a fight. Too many of the bad Bush policies got through partly because Democrats in congress were too damn spineless. The Democrats need to find their spines, and Obama looks like the best guy to do it.

He's like a Reagan for the Democrats. You don't need to know what he's for to vote for him.

And the Democrats really need to win and act as if they've won in order to turn this mess around. I'm afraid that even though there are just as many Republicans wanting to clean up after Dubya, the house-cleaning would take much longer than with the Democrats (providing they actually do something this time) simply because too many of the old administration would roll over into the new one.

Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2008 at 10:07am | IP Logged | 2  

McCain has a big jump now that he's secured his nomination months ahead of his democratic foes.  I think he'll be facing Obama.  Hillary still has to win 70% of the remaining primaries in order to get the nomination.  I don't see it happening.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew Davey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2008 at 10:08am | IP Logged | 3  

Despite Hillary's "wins" she is still behind in delegate count of 1451 to 1365 (Texas and Ohio awarded proportional delegates). This could get messy as we get down to wire. The super delegates may hold the key to the Democratic nomination.

Any big states left? Maybe Pennsylvannia holds the answer? Or maybe the bookies in Las Vegas know for sure.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2008 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 4  

McCain will win.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2008 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 5  

And just for the record, I don't like any of them.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Gene Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2008 at 10:20am | IP Logged | 6  

I'm not a fan of any of them either - but hey, I've never been thrilled with the candidates in any Presidential election.

I liked McCain in 2000, but not now. 

It'll be interesting to watch, for sure.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2008 at 10:21am | IP Logged | 7  

I'm far from thrilled that the only choices for President are Senators, basically people that never actually had a leadership role.

Obama is definitely a wordsmith, but I don't think that's enough to be a good president (I can see the Dubya retorts coming a mile away). It's easy to say that you were against the Iraq War all along when you weren't even in the Senate long enough to have had to vote on it. I don't see a little over 3 years as enough time to put in to be worthy of the role. (Less than 3 when you consider that he's spent the last year campaigning instead of being a Senator).

Clinton, well, you know what you get, here. I don't like the fact that she took up a NY seat in the Senate for the sole purpose of running for President at some point. She claims "lifelong service", but really has only had an actual political title for a bit over 7 years. Sorry, First Lady doesn't count, nor should it.

I may disagree with much of what Chuck Shumer says, but I have to admit that he's definitely someone with New York State's interests in mind. Clinton's seat should have been filled by someone that actually cares about the state they are serving. I wonder, if she loses, would she not re-run for NY Senator, and divorce Bill? Because at that point they would have outlived their usefulness.

Can't say I'm overjoyed about McCain, either. But with over 20 years in the Senate and a willingness to work with both parties, I'd have to go with him as the lesser of 3 evils.

Bob Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2008 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 8  

McCain.

Hillary and Obama should team up, but I just don't think they will. Neither has enough humility to be # 2. If they do get 'together', it will be like Kerry-Edwards in '04-so obvious they don't get along, it will end up hurting the ticket.

And I have to say, I think Obama's speeches have been, to steal a phrase, 'eloquent but empty'-or 'lots of sizzle, not much steak.' Obviously, it's still early, but he'll have to come up with more specific, issue-oriented speeches, rather than just  'charisma', to get the job done.

I think people have gone 180 degrees about the 'eloquence' of Presidential candidates since 2000. No matter what Bush says, everyone ripped him for sounding like Bizarro. No matter what Obama says, people are more blown away by his 'reassuring cadence', than by anything of substance. The JFK comparisons are overblown, though. He did more than give speeches.

Still a long way to go, though...enough time for an emperor to get some clothes.

Edited by Bob Neill on 05 March 2008 at 10:24am

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2008 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 9  

I hope McCain wins because there are so many jokes that can be made about him.

You mean good jokes like people from both camps dying in Irak ? Yes you're right that's a good one.

Wayne Osborne
Byrne Robotics Member
Manhunter

Posted: 05 March 2008 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 10  

McCain should ask Colin Powell if he'd like to be VP. And not as a token
pick. I think that would make a solid ticket.

WO

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2008 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 11  

Hillary won NY, NJ, Mass, Calif., Texas, Ohio, and technically Florida and (maybe) Michigan. No real primaries in those latter states, but chances are very good she'd win them if primaries with full campaigning were re-held. All together, these are the most "important" states. She also cleans up on blue collar workers, Unions, and those over 50. And she has a clear edge with Latinos. As far as the Democratic base goes, these are the the most "important" voters. Finally, she has proven to have a built-in base with Southern voters through Bill, something any Democrat running for president needs, and there's little doubt that black voters would turn to her rather than McCain if Obama dropped out. Seems like she has a much stronger argument for the nomination than Obama.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2008 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 12  

It would have been very interesting if Powell ran this year...Powell vs Obama could have been a very real possibility.

<< Prev Page of 1093 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version