Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Why I hate Facebook (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 11:54am | IP Logged | 1  

Two different things.  Kopp isn't talking about the term "hero" losing it's significance with over use, a notion that I agree with you. If we are to take his quote at face value, however, he does believe a person who has a hero diminishes them self in some way.  Absurd and sad all rolled into one.
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 2  

huh, maybe I wasn't clear.

Even tho this past friend has accomplished a lot (talk about stereotypical *best* response to the question "what have you been doing with your life?": "working on the cure for cancer"), I don't feel *so* down because literally the next person that I looked at is at the completely, and again stereotypical, opposite end of the spectrum: out of work, living in our small home town, and renting a room over our teacher's garage.

Like I did say tho, I'm somewhere in between those two sterotypical but literal extremes.

On a side note but related, also just LinkedUp with a graphic design college friend who I greatly admired. Haven't been in touch with him in the 20+ years since, but an odd coincidence got us connected. I looked at his web-site and saw a lot of things that I had seen around, and now that I knew the source could see his hand in them.

In my e-mail to him I had sent a link to my web site and my designs. He told me he thought they were great designs. Having just a couple of hours before been faced with being placed between two extremes, I had someone whom I admired say he liked my work. Pat on the back, and all that.

In summation, in an effort to try to make my point clear: I may not literally helping all of humanity with my work, I'm better off than the next guy.

It's all about perspective.

Now excuse me. I have to go better myself.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 3  

QUOTE:
Kopp isn't talking about the term "hero" losing it's significance with over use, a notion that I agree with you. If we are to take his quote at face value, however, he does believe a person who has a hero diminishes them self in some way.

No, Kopp isn't talking about overuse of 'hero' – that was just something that suggested itself to me from the quote – but it does seem that he could be referring to a specific definition of hero.  I think it is one of those statements that has to be read into a little bit.  Specifically, it strikes me as a statement against hero worship.

Edited by Paulo Pereira on 13 May 2008 at 12:05pm

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 12:04pm | IP Logged | 4  

QUOTE:
Even tho this past friend has accomplished a lot (talk about stereotypical *best* response to the question "what have you been doing with your life?": "working on the cure for cancer"), I don't feel *so* down because literally the next person that I looked at is at the completely, and again stereotypical, opposite end of the spectrum: out of work, living in our small home town, and renting a room over our teacher's garage.

Not sure if that makes your dislike of Facebook any clearer.  I'm honestly curious.

Joel Biske
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 5  

What an odd thread... not what I expected to read when I looked at the title...

I'd have to agree with those questioning the Kopp quote. I don't get it. First, that's a VERY vague statement... hero can mean different things to different people... Are we, as a society OR as individuals not to HAVE heroes? Or not to look up to anyone as a hero?

Michael said:

LOL Not at all. I'd like to be rich I just never had a particular calling or dream

I'd call that a dream. Maybe others wouldn't, but if that's you're reason for being... still a dream, or a goal at the least....

I spent years doing more or less what society told me was "right," got married, got a job, bought a house, sold it, got a bigger house, got a better job, etc.... until it all came crashing down. Within a year period, I lost my job, my marriage, and in the struggle to figure out my purpose, my savings as well. Life become a real struggle... yet, I had family and friends to help me thru it... and I am a completely different person today because of it...

I've been fortunate enough to have been a working artist my entire adult life. Am I doing my dream job? No... not right now, but I'm happy, and I'm trying my best to move forward....

right now... that's a goal, and a dream... we're all here doing something and everyone's motivations are different... some are selfish, some are not.... everyone plays a part, whether its to save a life, or ask "would you like fries with that"
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brad Teschner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 12:08pm | IP Logged | 6  

"I found that if you have a goal, that you might not reach it. But if you don't have one, then you are never disappointed. And I gotta tell ya... it feels phenomenal."

Peter La Fleur - Dodgeball

Juan Jose Colin Arciniega
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 7  

Yeah...why do you hate Facebook?

Michael Connell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 12:19pm | IP Logged | 8  

QUOTE:
I'd call that a dream. Maybe others wouldn't, but if that's you're reason for being... still a dream, or a goal at the least....

Hardly my reason for being, I'm just saying if I won the lottery or inherited a million dollars I wouldn't turn it down, but 20 years in the army was never considered upwardly mobile.

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 12:19pm | IP Logged | 9  

I don't have a lot to say since I feel the same way wherever I go, Andrew, so no advice from me, I should shut up, but why don't you send him a painting that he can put up on the wall? You have a talent there that he doesn't have.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 12:19pm | IP Logged | 10  

QUOTE:
I'd have to agree with those questioning the Kopp quote. I don't get it. First, that's a VERY vague statement... hero can mean different things to different people... Are we, as a society OR as individuals not to HAVE heroes? Or not to look up to anyone as a hero?

Sure, vague on the face of it, but I think there's some context there.  If I'm right about it being a indictment against hero worship, in the strictest sense of the term, it has a point.  I would doubt that Kopp is telling you not to admire or respect anyone.

It's not the only quote that has ever had to be parsed.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 12:24pm | IP Logged | 11  

For what it's worth, I figured out exactly what Andrew was saying with his
first post, and why he used the "Why I hate Facebook" thread title...but then
again, it could just be an "Andrew" thing.

(And if any JBF people want to add me to their friends list on Facebook,
please go right ahead. I always need more people to play "Scrabulous" with
me.)

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 12  

Nawww, I'm more of a myspace guy.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version