Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Avengers #1 splash page on ebay (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2008 at 10:45am | IP Logged | 1  

The thing of it is, I wonder if that would be one of the pages that Kirby should have gotten back from Marvel way back when and whether or not that should be going back to his estate anyway.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Gerry Turnbull
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2008 at 10:46am | IP Logged | 2  

there was a list of the stuff stolen from the warehouse,ive not seen it though.

it will be interesting to see what bid is needed to break the reserve

Ferran Delgado
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2008 at 10:50am | IP Logged | 3  

Maybe the seller is only testing the market but he has no intention to sell it
now. He already did so with a page from X-Men #1.
Back to Top profile | search

Gerry Turnbull
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2008 at 10:54am | IP Logged | 4  

i think its safe to say the whole comic art collectors world will be watching the outcome of this

Wes Wescovich
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2008 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 5  

As you doubtless know, I have a large collection of original comicbook and
strip art, some pieces of which are even older than this page . (The "Bringing
Up Father" daily I have is almost seventy years old.) All but two of the
pages are in very good condition. The Marvel pages I have from the same
vintage as this AVENGERS page are in excellent shape, except for a coffee
stain across one corner of my page from FF 5. (I knew I shouldn't have been
drinking coffee while looking at it. . . . )

Yes, I've greatly enjoyed the pictures you've shared of your art collection, JB.  As I mentioned, my own small collection is from the late 1980's forward, so my perspective is only from what I have seen in friend's collections and at conventions for much older pieces.  Thanks to Gerry's scans of the other pages, I see the condition of comparable pages and if Greg Theakston has seen the page personally, I would accept his assessment that this one is legit.  One thing that made me suspicious may have been subconscious.  I am used to seeing Kirby's uninked pages reproduced in The Jack Kirby Collector and accustomed to his extensive margin notes and dialogue.  I see some on Gerry's scans, but none on others.  JB, would these have been erased during the inking stage traditionally? 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steven Cassidy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2008 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 6  

Interesting scheme --- list some "rare" pages of art on eBay with impossible reserves to test the market.  The pages don't sell but a "price", a value, is established for the page.

A fire mysteriously destroys all the owners pages - or they are stolen (which is a better an idea in case the page surfaces one day).

Insurance pays out based on values established in eBay sales where reserves were never met and where no one but the seller ever had the opportunity to inspect the pages EXTREMELY closely.

The pages may, or may not, be forged -- who knows -- they're all destroyed (or stolen) and the only evidence are....eBay photos -- 'cause the original photo files were destroyed in the fire (or stolen), too.

Maybe the guy bought this page from an old hobo at a flea market and this is 100% legit.

Ferran Delgado
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2008 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 7  

Wow! Steven, have you tried to write thrillers? ;-)

Edited by FERRAN DELGADO on 13 July 2008 at 1:09pm

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2008 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 8  

I think if I brought something in to the police to ask if it had been stolen and then they arrested me, I would not be so inclined the next time I found something of interest. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2008 at 1:45pm | IP Logged | 9  

"I think if I brought something in to the police to ask if it had been stolen and then they arrested me, I would not be so inclined the next time I found something of interest. "

They didn't bring it to the police, they brought it to an Auction house.
While checking its value the auction house determined that it was reported stolen. They were then under obligation to withhold the artwork and call the police.
The police, when they responded, were under a similar obligation to seize the artwork and question the people in possession of the stolen items. The pieces were clearly the same as those which were reported stolen. The "finders" were at  that point clearly in possession of recently stolen artwork with a value of close to 100 thousand dollars which they claimed to have bought for a few dollars at a garage sale that that the owner of the garage claims never took place.

I really don't think the police were out of line for questioning them as possible suspects. Do you?

John Papandrea
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2008 at 2:19pm | IP Logged | 10  

Based on the pics Joe Hollon provided I say that this page on eBay clearly is a forgery.

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2008 at 3:29pm | IP Logged | 11  

Only examination of the original art by an expert on Kirby or Ayers could establish that for sure. I would like to think, however, that anyone capable of making a forgery of THAT quality would also be smart enough to throw in a few barely visible margin notes and possibly a signature.

Unless of course it's one of those pages made as recreations for the Masterworks series. Purchased at a low price and then passed off as the original.

But published pages by the big companies all have stamps on the back with issue numbers or copyright dates on them, don't they? Or did those come later?

Edited by Knut Robert Knutsen on 13 July 2008 at 3:29pm

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2008 at 3:31pm | IP Logged | 12  

"Only examination of the original art by an expert on Kirby or Ayers could establish that for sure."

If I had $50,000 to spend on it I guess I would just fly Dick Ayers in to verify it for me.

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version