Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Mid-Ohio-Con 2008 (October 4-5) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2008 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 1  

I was thinking about carrying around a sign that says "I'm Steven Myers".  But instead I will tell you that I'm planning on wearing my green polo shirt with the "Evolve" fish on it.

And I plan on being at the Claremont and Joe Kubert panels.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Darrell Hempel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2008 at 7:10pm | IP Logged | 2  

I'm going to wear a comicbook-themed shirt or some such so as to stand out. So - if anyone sees me, come up and say, "howdy!"

Steve Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2008 at 8:18pm | IP Logged | 3  

Dave thanks for the welcome.  I've joined the forum three or four times and somehow always end up getting deleted.  Just can't stay away from coming back to check out the commissions.  I hope you and Andy have a blast at the show this year. 

In other news, I've spent the last few weeks slapping Dora on various products for work.  That girl gets around.

Back to Top profile | search

Dave Aikins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2008 at 9:08pm | IP Logged | 4  

Steve-
Actually looks like Andy and I won't be next to each other.
That's going to be weird! Luckily, I'll be next to Darryl Banks, so I'll have a friend to harrass all weekend. I'll just have to remember to not call Darryl "Andy".
"Slapping Dora".
Real nice.
Hope you and your family are well!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 02 October 2008 at 10:23pm | IP Logged | 5  

I figure if nobody is opposed we can go with Steven Myers suggestion of the Mongolian BBQ. I was thinking around 7 PM.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2008 at 2:17am | IP Logged | 6  

Guest update from the web site:

"We have a few cancelations to report: Franco Aureliani, Chris Yambar and the Speed Racer Mach 5 have bowed out of this year's show, but we hope to get them all back in 2009. If you're curious, the three cancelations are unrelated to one another."

Also Dan Mishkin, Blue-Devil co-creator has been added. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2008 at 4:49am | IP Logged | 7  

Can't wait to see everyone in a few hours!  If you're looking for me I'll be the guy having this conversation with Joe Kubert:

Me: "Hey, remember when you did Hawkman?"

JK: "Sure."

Me: "That was awesome.  Remember when you did SGT Rock?"

JK: "Uh...yeah?"

Me: "That was awesome.  Remember when you did...."

Darrell Hempel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2008 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 8  

Just got back. I only did one day. If only my budget had been larger!

Thanks to David Aikins for the sketches/signatures for Riley! I still want to commission a zombie Dora! Haha!

Wayne O - glad to meet you! Glad I was finally able to pick up FX! Can't wait to read them! Thanks for the hospitality!

Paul Greer - was nice to meet you as well! Glad to put a (different) face with the name!

My first MOC! Definitely not my last!

Brian Talley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2008 at 4:03pm | IP Logged | 9  

I'm going to wear a comicbook-themed shirt or some such so as to stand out.

Probably a good idea...if you had worn a suit you would have just blended in.

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2008 at 4:56pm | IP Logged | 10  

Wish I could have made it, but alas, I was already broke last week...
Would have been fun going out to eat and having a few.

Dave Aikins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2008 at 6:00pm | IP Logged | 11  

Fun weekend. Crazy tired, as these things are getting harder and harder to
walk out of without being really freakin' tired! NIce talks with Joe Kubert, P
Craig Russell, as well as James Henry, who threw a great first bash.
Nice seeing the JBF gang, as well!

Dave Pruitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2008 at 6:39pm | IP Logged | 12  

I had a Great time at MOC. Congrats to James Henry for putting on a good one, the first of many for years to come, I hope. It's was fun hanging out with Wayne, Paul, Joe Hollon, & Steven Myers for dinner and meeting Steve Horton, Jacob Secrest, and Justin Wasson, for the first time and talking again with other members Dave Aikins, Scottland Downs, Jason Carpenter, and anyone else I'm forgeting (I'm sorry if I did!) I got a bunch of comics for members with hunting lists and more JB stuff. I got a swell sketch from Alan Davis. He's a gent and a tropper for doing all those sketches this weekend. Great, great guy. I'll post it later.

Brian Talley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2008 at 6:42pm | IP Logged | 13  

Dave....how is Scottland? He just seemed to drop off of the map and isn't even listed on the member roll anymore. He's a good Joe, and I hope he's doing well.

Dave Pruitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2008 at 6:49pm | IP Logged | 14  

He seemed fine and dandy. We didn't talk about the board, just how are yous.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2008 at 7:09pm | IP Logged | 15  

MOC was fantastic!  Best time I've ever had at a con!  Congrats and thanks to James Henry!

I got several nice sketches and many autographs.

Highlights:

Meeting Joe Kubert was an absolute thrill.  He's got quite a handshake and I noticed his hands look just like how he draws hands in his art.  Interesting.  Paul and I attended the SGT ROCK panel with Kubert and Billy Tucci hosted by Beau Smith.  Very interesting.  I'll be giving the new SGT ROCK series a try based on the enthusiasm of Mr. Tucci I witnessed at this panel.  Kubert is a class act all the way. 

My VIP pass allowed me to get in line for Alan Davis this morning about 90 minutes before the con opened.  His lines were extremely long on Saturday and he was taking a lot of time with each head sketch.  I was first in line Sunday and came away with a great sketch I'll post later.

Mark Evanier- Mark is always elusive at cons.  I finally caught him at his booth and had him sign three comics I had previously had signed by Sergio Aragones.  Funny note: Evanier's booth was right next to Wayne Osborn's and since Evanier was never there I sat in his chair for a bit while talking to Wayne and the guys.  I had at least one person approach me for an autograph.

Chris Claremont- Along with Davis and Kubert, Claremont had the most consistantly long lines.  I buckled down late Saturday and stood in line for about 45 minutes to get Claremont to sign my copy of Marvel Tales 204....my first comic previously signed by our esteemed host Mr. Byrne. 

The Byrne Crew- It was great seeing all the Byrne Forum guys!  Dinner Saturday night was very fun.  I'll leave you with these fun facts I learned:  1)- In Kentucky it is possible to hunt and catch penguins and 2)- certain Subway franchises may begin offering something called a "Wayne Sandwich".

Wayne Osborne
Byrne Robotics Member
Manhunter

Posted: 05 October 2008 at 7:16pm | IP Logged | 16  

Oh, man, I'm not even gonna try to remember everyone I met. I would
inevitably leave someone out. So let me just say it was my honor and
pleasure
meeting you all and I thank you very much for your kind words and support
of the book.

And, yes, indeed hanging out was certainly a blast. Good times.

Edited by Wayne Osborne on 05 October 2008 at 9:57pm

Dave Pruitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2008 at 7:40pm | IP Logged | 17  

I was the last in line saturday for an Alan Davis sketch and the show closed and they dimmed the lights and kicked everyone out, so I missed out on a sketch after waiting two hours (I did get a few autographs), but he told me to come to the front of the line sunday and he'd take care of me. He did, and he asked me to sit down next to him while he finished another one, then he did this Cap for me. We had a nice long conversation, about his work, his con experiences, etc., there's much admiration for JB's work on his part, BTW. I jumped in front of Joe in line, but he didn't look too upset.

Brian Talley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2008 at 7:43pm | IP Logged | 18  

That's a sweet piece, Dave

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2008 at 7:50pm | IP Logged | 19  

Did anyone take pictures ? I love to live vicariously through people who do fun things. :0)

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2008 at 7:53pm | IP Logged | 20  

That scan is NOT doing Dave's Cap justice!  It looked great!  And no I was not upset that Dave jumped ahead of me in line, he deserved it.  Also I was more than pleased to be in the front of the "day two" line even though it took about 20 minutes for him to finish up the left overs from Day One.  Alan Davis was great.  I'll share more when I post my head sketch in the art thread.  

Dave Pruitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2008 at 8:10pm | IP Logged | 21  

Paul Greer was the only one with a camera, but he's got one of those old fashioned jobs that uses film, so he has to finish the roll and get developed before any pics show up here. I always forgte to take a camera or forget to snap pics when I do remember to bring it.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2008 at 8:23pm | IP Logged | 22  

I'm no Gerry Turnbull, but this is a little better on Dave's Cap!

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2008 at 8:44pm | IP Logged | 23  

Wow, great looking Cap!

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 05 October 2008 at 10:20pm | IP Logged | 24  

This was one of the best times I've had at a con. I arrived at 8:30 AM Saturday morning when the doors opened for the VIPs. I was second in line for Alan Davis. He couldn't have been a more kind and gracious guest at he con. He was only charging $10 a head sketch and he did two for me. Alan's wife was also a pleasure to talk to. She seemed very amused that her husband was so popular and she told me she has never read  a comic in her life. Not even one of her husbands. I also attended his panel he had later in the afternoon.

Was able to talk to P. Craig Russell (A fellow Kent State Allumni), Chris Giarrusso, Chris Eliopoulos, Roger Stern, and Darryl Banks. I also had a real nice political conversation with Ethan Van Sciver.

I had the chance to meet up with many of the guys from the forum, most of them shocked that I'm not as good looking as my avatar. Sorry, I just photograph better than I really look. Dinner at Bucco was great. Wayne's friends are just as crazy and fun as he is.

James Henry should be thanked for such great treatment of the VIPs. An open bar and a nice spread to eat pretty much paid for the ticket cost. Add in the free swag and the access before the show opened and it was well worth the $100. Wayne and I hung out in the VIP lounge for a bit and then watched some HBO boxing to end out the evening.

Sunday my goal was to meet Joe Kubert. Joe Hollen and myself waited in line after he met up with Alan Davis. Of all the legends I've ever met, I don't think I've been in more awe then I was of Mr. Kubert. The man had a handshake that would break your hand, but he was so down to earth and modest about himself and his work. You could tell how proud he was of his sons and made you feel like you were an old friend by the way he conversed with you.

Joe and I attended the Sgt. Rock panel later in the day. I've never been a follower of Billy Tucci's work, but the enthusiasm and research he has done for this Sgt. Rock project has me very interested in reading it.

To round out Sunday I talked with Bob Layton and briefly chatted with Claremont, Len Wein, Mike Grell and Art Baltazar.

The crowd floor seemed very brisk, much more packed than the previous year. James is off to a great start with his first con. He was very nice to chat with and seems to have a good idea how to make this con become bigger than before. I'll post some photos and art when I'm not feeling so lazy.

Robert Kowalewski II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2008 at 7:22am | IP Logged | 25  

Nice looking Davis sketch.  One year I'll make another MOC, just so I can meet some more online board members.  We really need to have a Moon Patrol gathering somewhere down the line......

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version