Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 25 Next >>
Topic: Flash: Rebirth #1 - I’m Done (Spoilers) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2009 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 1  

Johns pacing does seem to be off as he is getting Morrison like in LONG
set ups with quick (weak) payoffs

I view Grant's current work as just the opposite: a series of payoffs without
the setups. It's like a comedian doing his set, but only telling the
punchlines.
Back to Top profile | search

Derek Wilczynski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2009 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 2  

But I'd be willing to give Johns the benefit of the doubt - maybe all is not as it initially appears

Except that there is a copious amount of blood that does appear in the story, including the "death" of Barry's mom.  Now, some of this has to fall on the artist, who's work I really like, and some of it on the editor, but the artist wouldn't be drawing it if the story didn't call for it.  (At least, I've heard no disclaimer from Johns saying, "Uh, I love Van Sciver, but my script didn't call for this much blood.)

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2009 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 3  

I liked the 1st issue of Rebirth and am willing to see where this goes.  I'm glad to have Barry back and that's no slap against Wally.  For years one of my favorite books was Flash during runs by Johns and Waid.  I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of many of Johns' other runs: GL, Hawkman, JSA, Booster Gold (and yes even Infinite Crisis which was better by far than Final Crisis) etc and havn't been let down yet. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

JT Molloy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2009 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 4  

But I'd be willing to give Johns the benefit of the doubt - maybe all is not as it initially appears
---

I see this sentiment a lot, and it's never true. These days in comics, what you see is what you get.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2009 at 1:08pm | IP Logged | 5  

---

I see this sentiment a lot, and it's never true. These days in comics, what you see is what you get.

+++++

I like Johns.  I read some of his earlier Flash run and found it interesting, despite no Barry.  I don't think you can read the tea leaves of one story based on your (apparent) unhappiness with comics in general today.  I haven't read it yet but I would surmise Johns has more to tell and that it won't wind up being Barry's dad.   I hope so, anyway.  We'll see.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 April 2009 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 6  

Maybe it will turn out to be the Sandman.

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2009 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 7  

Maybe it's Professor Zoom again.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Charles Tyus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2009 at 2:02pm | IP Logged | 8  

I knew this was coming.  Derek, The Flash is also my favorite and as much as I hated Barry Allen's death in Crisis I was so hoping that he would stay that way considering the current storytelling climate.  

Kevin Sharp
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2009 at 2:37pm | IP Logged | 9  

I would bet we'll see young Barry solve the crime/clear his dad, which is what sets him on the path to being a forensic scientist.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Derek Wilczynski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2009 at 2:47pm | IP Logged | 10  

I knew this was coming.  Derek, The Flash is also my favorite and as much as I hated Barry Allen's death in Crisis I was so hoping that he would stay that way considering the current storytelling climate. 

I didn't like Barry Allen's death in Crisis, either.  That being said, I actually enjoyed the stories with Wally West as the Flash.  So much so that he became the Flash for me.  That being said, I wasn't disappointed with the decision to bring Barry Allen back - except that it was a gimmick.  He had been gone for so long that generations of fans (using John's argument that the fan base should turn over every five years or so) only knew, or should have only known, Wally as the Flash (in "current" stories.  The "revival" just didn't feel right.  Like John has maintained that the current X-Men aren't "his" X-Men, I'm not sure that this Barry Allen is "my" Barry Allen.  Maybe its time to quit reading comics.  I find myself reading less and less each month.

Geoff Gibson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2009 at 2:48pm | IP Logged | 11  

If you are not loving comics maybe you are loving some thing else

That ROCKS!

Michael Hatton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2009 at 2:51pm | IP Logged | 12  

The one thing I did not like about the Green Lantern issues that I read recently is that they kept dwelling on the days that Hal was insane.  They kept bringing it up and referred to it all of the time.   I had thought that Green Latern Rebirth was going to explain how they brought him back and then in the regular series they would never have to mention those dark days again.

With Spider-man they set things a certain way and they said that they will explain some of the details later.  I liked this better.  They get get to the business of telling the stories like they want and then after everyone is comfortable with the new status quo they can reveal some things like how Harry is back and such.  Not everyone likes this though.  But to me the alternative is that they would have talked about the missing marriage and such for many months which means they never really moved past it.

With Flash it seems completely different.  He died a Hero.  There is nothing to "fix".  They just need to bring him back and tell some stories.  Actually I take that back.  They needed to fix Bart.  What was done to him was a travesty.

<< Prev Page of 25 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version